PSSST! "Original" .d64 image

C64 website updates, new releases of games, demos, tools etc.

Moderator: Lemoners

WinstonF
Bionic Granny

PSSST! "Original" .d64 image

Post by WinstonF »

A 40 year C64 tribute version of PSSST! Released at ZZAP! LIVE 2023 by myself and my good friend Boony who worked very hard on this, with a lot of encouragement & support :wink:
Freely available tribute version, this is the "original" disk image .d64 given away for free at ZZAP! LIVE 2023.

Not sure how people are "cracking" an unprotected freely available game and putting it on csdb claiming five minutes of lame fame, but there you go! :D
Please read the in game scroller if you are into that kind of thing!

DOWNLOAD HERE:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rH8ulK ... sp=sharing

Artwork restored by Mark Leither https://ko-fi.com/markleither

Picture download here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c3WFOH ... sp=sharing
Get to the Choppa!
WinstonF
Bionic Granny

Re: PSSST! "Original" .d64 image

Post by WinstonF »

The legend that is "KENZ" of Psytronik has added the ZX-Spectrum loading screen to the "original" disk image, for all you die hard fans of PSSST, and that can be downloaded here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yMHWsM ... sp=sharing

Get to the Choppa!
rwx
Jack The Nipper
Jack The Nipper

Post by rwx »

Was that the game that was on the SX-64? I think I saw you guys sat down, not familiar with the game itself, so only had a quick glance at it.
WinstonF
Bionic Granny

Post by WinstonF »

rwx wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:04 pm Was that the game that was on the SX-64? I think I saw you guys sat down, not familiar with the game itself, so only had a quick glance at it.
Yeah it was running on the SX-64 all day, I kind of hijacked the computer, it is property of the Retro Computing Museum and they were actually very kind about it and let me run the game and let us stand there talking to people.

Well you can download it now from the links above and have a go :D There is a built in trainer just to say, like the old days, you type TCS in the top left hand corner before you type RUN, and then you are invincible :D That was a nod to the Teeside Cracking Service and the legendary Omega Man.
Get to the Choppa!
SubChrist
Joe Blade
Joe Blade

Post by SubChrist »

Congrats on finishing this one, it's good fun and quite challenging and I will be having another go later.

Getting the plant to grow is satisfying and a very original concept.

I don't think I ever played it until today, the name and the cover art always reminds me of my Spectrum owning pals back in '82 or '83.

+ Thanks for the shout-out in the scrolly, I'm glad to read that our (amazing) tools were of service! :D
boony
Bionic Granny

Post by boony »

SubChrist wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:33 pm + Thanks for the shout-out in the scrolly, I'm glad to read that our (amazing) tools were of service! :D
Your tools were, and are, invaluable mate thanks so much.
I'd like to do something with the parallax effect you can create with the charsets we chatted about on twiitter next. Think I'll need to partner up with a proper gfx artist for that though :D

Thanks to all for the nice comments about the game. It seems that there are a few people of a certain vintage that have fond memories of it on the Speccy, and I'm staggered just how well it has been received. Definitely makes it feel worthwhile.
C64 conversion of Pssst, Nordischsound Ghostbusters hack
Richard of TND
Lemon64 Database Editor
Lemon64 Database Editor

Post by Richard of TND »

I just downloaded the game and I also had a quick look at the loading bitmap. Looks great, would you like me to build a cool TAP version of the game?
WinstonF
Bionic Granny

Post by WinstonF »

Richard of TND wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:36 pm I just downloaded the game and I also had a quick look at the loading bitmap. Looks great, would you like me to build a cool TAP version of the game?
Yeah why not mate, upload the link to it on here! Thanks! :D Anything to be honest to stop people downloading the "cracked version" from csdb. A crack of a freely available unprotected game, given away for free as a 40 year tribute, a crack that is plastered with a crack-tro released by self aggrandising smug "sceners" :roll:
Last edited by WinstonF on Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get to the Choppa!
Richard of TND
Lemon64 Database Editor
Lemon64 Database Editor

Post by Richard of TND »

Here you go:
PSSST [Homebrew].zip
Enjoy :)
WinstonF
Bionic Granny

Post by WinstonF »

Richard of TND wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:32 pm Here you go:
PSSST [Homebrew].zip
That's absolutely brilliant thank you so much :D
Is there any chance you could do a .tap with the C64 loading screen we put together? :D
Last edited by WinstonF on Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get to the Choppa!
boony
Bionic Granny

Post by boony »

Richard of TND wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:32 pm Here you go:
PSSST [Homebrew].zip
No way! :D :D :D
Thank you so much, that is fantastic!
boony
Bionic Granny

Post by boony »

I wonder how long before the tape version gets cracked! :popcorn:
milasoft
Mikie
Mikie

Post by milasoft »

WinstonF wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:46 pm Yeah why not mate, upload the link to it on here! Thanks! :D Anything to be honest to stop people downloading the "cracked version" from csdb. A crack of a freely available unprotected game, given away for free as a 40 year tribute, a crack that is plastered with a crack-tro released by self aggrandising smug "sceners" :roll:
The scene had to adjust itself when originals became scarce. Now to 'crack' something means you just improved a game. The entire history of the C64 gaming releases is now subject to cracking.

That freeware GitHub game? Consider it cracked.
That terrible 1985 Compute Gazette game? Consider it cracked.
Released a free game on Itch? Consider it cracked.
And... and... and.... created a pong game as part of a tutorial for your YouTube channel? Consider it cracked.

Enjoy all of the latest free games with extra blocks added to them because of an intro, a single page text screen of instructions and of course trainers you'll never use. But most importantly, a crack group not relevant since 1990 can now boast on CSDB that they "supplied the original", "linked" the intro and "tested" the game all while you, the author, get none of the credit.

That's the funniest yet. Back in the 80's supplying an original meant you gave the group's cracker a copy protected disk. Now people take claim to this credit on the release for clicking a mouse over the download link for the free game.

Pathetic. And then they gloat in the charts in the next scene disk mag. Yay scene!

p.s. If it weren't for Richard/TND, most groups would have nothing to release... :)
commodoregames.net - Over 55 Gigs of C64, Vic-20 and PET software to play online or download.
webdrive.commodoregames.net - Share C64 disk images with others
WinstonF
Bionic Granny

Post by WinstonF »

boony wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:14 pm I wonder how long before the tape version gets cracked! :popcorn:
Cracked and trained mate, cracked and trained. But it's all good, spread the love, calm down, you go on like you spent a few hundred hours labouring over a free game or something. :D :D
There's also the C64 image on the disk, that could be used as the loading screen on another tape version, that could also be another crack. So potentially there could be three cracks out there soon!!!
We await the C64 tape version loading screen with great anticipation, and the potential third crack! :D

I've just had an idea, why don't we crack the tape versions for the LULZ... :D :D :D
They still won't let us or our warez on csdb though, we're not "sceners", we've been told. Unless you graciously crack it for one of the "recognised official scene" groups. Know your place.
Last edited by WinstonF on Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Get to the Choppa!
WinstonF
Bionic Granny

Post by WinstonF »

milasoft wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:20 pm
WinstonF wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:46 pm Yeah why not mate, upload the link to it on here! Thanks! :D Anything to be honest to stop people downloading the "cracked version" from csdb. A crack of a freely available unprotected game, given away for free as a 40 year tribute, a crack that is plastered with a crack-tro released by self aggrandising smug "sceners" :roll:
That's the funniest yet. Back in the 80's supplying an original meant you gave the group's cracker a copy protected disk. Now people take claim to this credit on the release for clicking a mouse over the download link for the free game.

Pathetic. And then they gloat in the charts in the next scene disk mag. Yay scene!

p.s. If it weren't for Richard/TND, most groups would have nothing to release... :)
Totally agree, well said!
Get to the Choppa!