New Game: SNAKE ESCAPE

SNAKE ESCAPE is a brand new game for the ZX-Spectrum!

9sqdj8.png
65odna.png
9rk7te.png
fduf09.png

Guide a snake through increasingly difficult mazes in order to escape and reach the food... featuring:
  • Code and levels (converted and new) by myself
  • Awesome graphics by top artist BiNMaN
  • Awesome soundtrack by top composer MmcM
  • Original concept by Tommi Tuovinen

This game is based on a webgame called LIME RICK, although with a modified design. Many maze levels were "improved" from the original (hardest levels became even harder), and there are also 4 extra (extremely hard) new levels at the end. Can you solve them all???

Download it now from here and have fun!

NOTE: Play it on a ZX-Spectrum 128K model otherwise you will miss the AY music!

NOTE2: This game uses multicolor graphics powered by NIRVANA+ Engine, so it will work on all original ZX-Spectrum models without the need for additional hardware. It should also work on any accurate emulator, including the ZX Vega.
Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.

Comments

• Wow, you have been busy!
  • edited November 2016
    Very clever as always, Einar. The moment when you work out the trick to each level is especially nice.
    Clearly a lot of thought went into the game play aspects.

Works fine on 48K if your emulator supports Melodik AY (e.g. Fuse)
    as this is the same address mapping as Spectrum 128K.

Great work,
    Derek.
    Post edited by dbolli on
    1985: ZX Spectrum+ 48K Interface 1 ZX81 16KB ASZMIC/SP ROM Philips 12" B/W TV Epson Dot Matrix Printer ZX Printer Now: 2021 M1 iMac 4.5K 24" screen 8 CPU cores 8GB RAM macOS 14.4.1 1TB SSD Drive Ext 1TB SSD Drive Ext 5TB USB 3.1 Hard Disk iPad R7 32GB iPadOS 17.4.1 iPhone SE R2 64GB iOS 17.4.1 Apple TV Gen 2
  • Cool stuff, Einar!

I remember this game was quite long in development, there were previews on WOS quite a few years ago.

But it was worth to wait. The presentation is nice and puzzles are well crafted - interesting, not so easy, not so hard. Plus some extra value for using multicolor.

What is the number of levels? And are there any passwords between levels?
  • No words about that...wow!!!

Please make a Tape release of it, will be very very necessary...ZX Spectrum is in his BEST since 1992/93 now ;)

• the screenshot is not displaying the 8x2 nirvana engine, the colours are wrong

• Thanks, I´ll try to fix it :)
  • Thanks everybody for the nice feedback!
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
  • Thanks, I´ll try to fix it :)

I have fixed it for you! Download file "faria.png" from here.
  • Great game, but level 13 seems to crash when you hit the detonator.
  • Yes, there must be some bug.
    I also got a reset when touching a detonator but would say it was level 12 for me.
  • Ralf wrote: »
    Cool stuff, Einar!

Thanks!

Ralf wrote: »
    I remember this game was quite long in development, there were previews on WOS quite a few years ago.

To be honest this game has been about 99% done for over a year, but BiNMaN was too busy to work on it until recently. But that's fine, for this kind of graphic quality I wouldn't mind to wait a decade!

Kinda like I have another 99% finished game only waiting for redballoon's loading screen for over a year... :)

But it was worth to wait. The presentation is nice and puzzles are well crafted - interesting, not so easy, not so hard. Plus some extra value for using multicolor.

Thanks!

What is the number of levels? And are there any passwords between levels?

There are 42 levels in total. There are no passwords (sorry!), but re-playing levels you previously solved is very fast, so it shouldn't be a problem in practice.
  • Great game, but level 13 seems to crash when you hit the detonator.

Dammit! I just got the same problem. :(

I will hunt down this bug and release an update later today. Sorry!
  • Great game! Works perfectly on ZX-Uno. I'm well and truly stuck on level 9, which doesn't bode well if there are 42 levels! :-S

Many thanks to everyone involved in the development of this. =D>
  • The Screen$ is very accurate, which program did you use Einar, ZX Paintbrush?
  • The Screen$ is very accurate, which program did you use Einar, ZX Paintbrush?

I always use zx paintbrush
  • BUG FIXED!!!

Please download it again from the same link. The fixed file is now called "snakescape,tap.zip" instead of "snakescape,tap".

Sorry for the inconvenience!

• Thanks a lot for the positive review but... I suspect you tested this game using an emulator unable to emulate a real ZX-Spectrum accurately. I believe BiNMaN's graphics will receive a higher score when you can see this game properly!
  • Brill. Level 9 is a bast! Solved it now.
    Great graphics and music. Well worth the wait.
  • MatGubbins wrote: »
    Brill. Level 9 is a bast! Solved it now.
    Great graphics and music. Well worth the wait.

Thank you!

Level 9 looks nearly identical to LIME RICK but plays considerably harder in SNAKE ESCAPE :)
  • I tried playing it again and it crashed again on level 13. But this time it didn't crashed completely, just hanged with some damaged graphics, music still playing and multicolor still working

Here's the snapshot, maybe it'll help you with something Einar:
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/ua94z0
    I tried playing it again and it crashed again on level 13. But this time it didn't crashed completely, just hanged with some damaged graphics, music still playing and multicolor still working

Here's the snapshot, maybe it'll help you with something Einar:
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/ua94z0

Thanks! However this snapshot is from the old version, it doesn't contain my fixes. Could you please download the game again?
  • No crashes here using the new, fixed version. I'm now playing using Fuse 1.3.1 on OS X 10.11.6 emulating a Spectrum 128K. Up to level 15 now, level 9 took ages to beat but it was a great feeling when I finally got there!

Excellent game Einar (and team) :)
  • Thank you for the hard work looks great and fun to play. My wife just got to level 6 on the first go made me look stupid and love the music :)
  • Really nice!
    http://iki.fi/sol | http://iki.fi/sol/speccy/ | https://github.com/jarikomppa/speccy
    http://goo.gl/q2j0NZ - make ZX Spectrum choose your own adventure games, no programming needed (release 3)
  • Thanks for the update, must admit I have been cheating, I have been watching the Lime Rick vid on YouTube.

Great job!
  • Thanks! However this snapshot is from the old version, it doesn't contain my fixes. Could you please download the game again?

Yes, it was from the 1st version. I failed to notice your fix.
    I'll try it again today.
    Yes, it was from the 1st version. I failed to notice your fix.
    I'll try it again today.

Thanks, sorry for the inconvenience of having to start over!
  • BTW in case someone's wondering why the hell this game was released with such a serious bug, especially after being so long under development... the reason is quite curious.

After adding the last graphics from BiNMaN, I realized there was plenty of memory left. So the last thing I did was add a couple more songs, and re-test the first few levels. Everything worked just fine and I never expected this last change could cause any problems in later levels. Well, I was wrong.

Immediately after each interrupt (after the multicolor render finishes processing), there's always a short amount of time when it's safe for a program to do anything (including changes to the stack address) before another interrupt may happen again. There's some variation on how much free time is available, but not too much.

However one of the songs I added later is so complex, that in certain frames it uses too much CPU, thus not leaving enough time anymore for program execution. When it happens, the program is interrupted too early and memory gets corrupted.

This problem was very hard to find, but very easy to fix. There should be no problems anymore!
  • For me the BEST game EVER after many years, compliments!

The graphics is ASTONISHING and the musics are BRILLIANT ;)

Incredible what is possible to do with the Nirvana + Engine, wow!!!

Hope to see soon new games like this and a Tape version of all of it ^_^