New Game: In the Walls of Eryx.

"In the Walls of Eryx" is a brand new game for the 128k ZX-Spectrum by Monster's Legs Productions, using Jonathan Cauldwell's Arcade Game Designer.

Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft and Kenneth J Sterling's short story (and with the kind permission of Arkham House), the game follows the adventures of Private Stansfield after he crash-lands in the Erycinian Highlands of Venus and combs the jungle for power gems. But the Venusian flora and fauna won't make it easy for him; neither will his dwindling supply of oxygen. And then there's the invisible labyrinth...can you collect 6 gems and survive In the Walls of Eryx?

5a79c895-7162-4bf2-8df4-acd1d1f70286_zps7pm0c27n.png

90fc194e-6f50-4e75-803c-a4b545252173_zpsyjedrjfb.png

febd0632-1ed4-45a8-bacb-b70fb28c6ee4_zps1h2el7u8.png

26223de1-0e52-475b-9047-3b1f1a6efebc_zpsjshoiqud.png

Keyboard controls for the game are the classic QAOP and Space.

Collecting Gems will allow you to unlock gates.

Collecting O2 will replenish your Oxygen supply.

Eventually you will come across a fuel pack for your Flame Pistol; there are
limited shots, so use them wisely!

Enemies include;
* The furious green Lizardmen who disregard their own safety to charge at you,
* Farnoth Flies that mindlessly patrol back and forth,
* Deadly Mirage Plants that cause hallucinations (multiple copies of yourself appear on-screen),
* Carnivorous Blossoms who lie underground, ready to devour the unwary,
* And the invisible Walls of Eryx themselves (marked by screens with magenta borders), designed to confound those who would dare to steal the Lizardmen's revered power gems.

Download the game here, and enjoy!
When JP finishes making the turboloader version, I'll upload that as well, the mock-up sequenced loading screen he showed me looked brilliant.

Special thanks to everyone who helped me make the game; JP, Einer Saukas, and all the folks on the AGD Facebook page for their advice and inspiration. Who am I forgetting? Got a horrible feeling I'm forgetting folk; if I have give us a shout, I'll be putting names on the cassette cover if/when I make physical copies.

And talking of cassette covers...

0bcb61df-c988-4744-badc-90ebcd73aa9c_zpsyelj8wis.jpg

Still WIP (I typed "likely" instead of "lightly", there's no copyrights yet, needs a "128k" and another screenshot ), but pretty much done.
Thanked by 1abelenki

Comments