My game Rabbit Runner is finished and free for download

C64 website updates, new releases of games, demos, tools etc.

Moderator: Lemoners

DoubleG
Bionic Granny

My game Rabbit Runner is finished and free for download

Post by DoubleG »

Dear people,

First off: great that Lemon64 is online just before Christmas!!

Seconldy:

I finished my first real game for the C64 a few days ago. A childhood dream :)
Its not a very long or complex game, but I think it will be fun to play.

It is my Christmas gift to the C64 community, I hope you enjoy it :P

You should be able to download it from here:
"http://cloud.cbm8bit.com/doubleg/Rabbit Runner.d64"

During the project I became more and more ambitious. Maybe a bit to much ;) So I spent more time on it then was perhaps wise.

I tested it on THEC64 in PAL mode and it should work fine.

If there are bugs I overlooked, I'm sorry. Just tell me about it and I will look at it in the New Year. First some Holidays!!

Also in the New year I will make a NTSC specific version which I will test on THEC64 in NTSC mode,the current version of the game will run on NTSC but the timing is a bit off.

Merry Christmas to everyone and a happy New Year.

With Regards
DoubleG
OmegaMax
Usagi Yojimbo
Usagi Yojimbo

Post by OmegaMax »

Firstly congratulations on accomplishing one of your childhood dreams.Plays good,I like the rabbit animation.

Made it to level 3

DoubleG
Bionic Granny

Post by DoubleG »

OmegaMax wrote:Firstly congratulations on accomplishing one of your childhood dreams.
==> Yes back than I only programmed in basic and there weren't any nice tooling to make sprites and characters. But now there are!
OmegaMax wrote:Plays good,I like the rabbit animation.
==> Thanks! I did some stop animation for hobby so I really tried to use al lot images to get a smooth animation for the rabbit.
OmegaMax wrote:Made it to level 3
==> Level 3 is very hard, I never finished it without cheating but than I'm not a real hard-core gamer :)
josepzin
Jack The Nipper
Jack The Nipper

Post by josepzin »

The game is funny and the graphics like me, the only thing what disgust me is the Function keys :P

Fire button for all actions (START, CONTINUE...) is better! :P
OmegaMax
Usagi Yojimbo
Usagi Yojimbo

Post by OmegaMax »

This game is like "HI,I'm a Cute Bunny,Can You Help Me Collect Carrots ?"Then comes level 3 :twisted: ...jumping,ducking,foxes..it's kinda addictive though,I want to beat that damn level.
DoubleG
Bionic Granny

Post by DoubleG »

josepzin wrote:The game is funny and the graphics like me
Ok, thanks! :)
josepzin wrote:the only thing what disgust me is the Function keys
Ok disgust is probably a bit strong 8O :lol: but I can imagine that you think its more handy. The point is that I first had everything with Press fire to continue but a problem was that when jumping in the game and when you then died you sometimes skipped the menu. I could easy make it so that you have to press fire-fire or F1 to continue. Sometime in the new year :P
josepzin
Jack The Nipper
Jack The Nipper

Post by josepzin »

Sorry, i am not english native :D

"Disgusting" --> "do not like me" or something more soft :P

I know that problema with the fire button, it can be solved but i do not know hot it con do it.
Endurion
Lemon64 Game Champion
Lemon64 Game Champion

Post by Endurion »

Just use a released flag. A button press in the menu only works, if the button was release before.
RetroLynx
William Wobbler
William Wobbler

Post by RetroLynx »

That's a pretty game DoubleG! The animation is really great indeed and the farmer intro creates tension.

I've made it to the sign too, 499 points, but i didn't know that you have to slide under it. Next time i'll rtfm first. :D Played it on my U64.

Are you planning a highscore table? Always nice to enter a name. I put even more than one highscore table in my last two games but that's easy to accomplish in Basic, much more work in assembler though.
DoubleG
Bionic Granny

Post by DoubleG »

RetroLynx wrote:That's a pretty game DoubleG! The animation is really great indeed and the farmer intro creates tension.
Nice that you like it!
RetroLynx wrote:Played it on my U64.
I'm interested in the timing of my game on an Ultimate 64. Could you clock it for me? How many seconds does it take for the first level to reach T=100? It should be around 97 seconds. I'm real curious![/quote]
RetroLynx wrote:Are you planning a high-score table? Always nice to enter a name. I put even more than one high-score table in my last two games but that's easy to accomplish in Basic, much more work in assembler though.
I do not think so. It takes a lot of time to do it right and most players play on their C64 alone. So the high-score is always theirs :) But entering your name and seeing it on a list can be fun so I'll consider it.

I saw you posted two games recently on the board, I will check them out. Do you also program in Assembler? Assembler is not that hard if you put your mind to it. I think it is easier to program than Basic :P . Basic can become messy with Goto's, Gosubs and multiple commands on one line.
RetroLynx
William Wobbler
William Wobbler

Post by RetroLynx »

DoubleG wrote:
RetroLynx wrote:Played it on my U64.
I'm interested in the timing of my game on an Ultimate 64. Could you clock it for me? How many seconds does it take for the first level to reach T=100? It should be around 97 seconds. I'm real curious!
The Ultimate64 acts 1:1 like a real C64, i don't even feel the "sentimental" difference anymore.
I tried to take the time but i finished level one with T=091 :) Second try i stopped the time 115 seconds w/o music at T=100, 3rd try same 115 sec with music - all PAL.
@48MHz the game speed remains the same but the rabbit moves insanely #lightspeed fast from left to right. :D
DoubleG wrote:I do not think so. It takes a lot of time to do it right and most players play on their C64 alone. So the high-score is always theirs :) But entering your name and seeing it on a list can be fun so I'll consider it.
Jep, i agree with you. Anyway highscore tables are cool. I even remember the time we wished for saving highscore tables. Many games didn't offer that.
DoubleG wrote:I saw you posted two games recently on the board, I will check them out. Do you also program in Assembler? Assembler is not that hard if you put your mind to it. I think it is easier to program than Basic :P . Basic can become messy with Goto's, Gosubs and multiple commands on one line.
I came back to my beloved C64 since i got my U64 in 2018. I tried some assembler routines to support my basic game ideas, it's not that complicated but doing a complete game in assembler would be too mind boggling with my actual knowledge. I like to throw around variables and stuff, transporting ideas into Basic is easy but breaking them down to assembler is too much work for my old brain i guess. :)
Richard of TND
Lemon64 Database Editor
Lemon64 Database Editor

Post by Richard of TND »

It's quite a fun little game. I enjoyed playing it last week. Well done!
I came back to my beloved C64 since i got my U64 in 2018. I tried some assembler routines to support my basic game ideas, it's not that complicated but doing a complete game in assembler would be too mind boggling with my actual knowledge. I like to throw around variables and stuff, transporting ideas into Basic is easy but breaking them down to assembler is too much work for my old brain i guess.
I can understand why. Assembly at times can get quite complex. You are keeping yourself inside the comfort zone. It does take a long time to learn complex routines :)
DoubleG
Bionic Granny

Post by DoubleG »

Richard of TND wrote:It's quite a fun little game. I enjoyed playing it last week. Well done!)
Coming from you it is really a great honour and a great compliment. I checked your website! You are a legend! Thank you for all the fine and nice games for the C64 you made or made happen.
Can I PM you if I have technical questions during the development of my new and next game I plan to make? Because I have still lots to learn :)