don't click here

SAGE 2022 - Demo Sonic Ringworlds - Sega Saturn

General Information

Note: to play this game it is recommended you use yabause or yaba sanshiro or a real sega saturn, mind you loading times may take a while if using real hardware.

Sonic Ringworlds is planned to be an SA1-like Sega Saturn homebrew game. At the moment this is just a test room. We do plan in the following weeks to add additional stuff like a Mecha Knuckles boss fight. We ran out of time and will include that as an update that will feature more optimizations and real gameplay. We hope you give this a try and look forward to the future of this.

Made by AM25 (lead director and designer), ShadowJackal(programmer), SGNRyan (sound designer, sound not yet present), Hitomi (programmer), cheeto hog(3d artist and texture guy (super cool stuff btw)),
Music in future builds by : Chidow, manofstone17 (music not present in build, will be in metal knuckles build.)

unknown.png

Latest reviews

Impressive to have a fan project for Saturn, with a custom engine even! For now, it looks basic and rough (Sonic doesn't even have slope physics), but it'll be interesting to see how it will evolve. Hope this project won't get cancelled though.
Reactions: F108_Star
S
ShadowJackall
Hey im not sure what you meant by that, there are slope physics in this!

Comments

Movement is quite jank in it's current state as camera movement when you're slow is quite choppy. (Although not sure if it's overall game lag.) Also would've been cooler if movement was similar to Sonic Jam's Sonic World.

From the small amount that was seen in the SAGE '22 I already knew this would be a sick concept. I'd love to see a finished demo!

To be honest, I have to give credit that you're able get something to work on the Saturn. However this demo doesn't even work on Yaba Sanshiro, which either crashes the emulator or throws an "unreadable" error on booting, unless if I was to use the iso file provided. However it works on Retroarch, with the Yabause and Beetlesaturn cores. Should've tested the demo thoroughly before publishing.

Either way the demo is a good start but compared to what SAGE has to offer this year, it's pretty rushed. Sonic can fall through the world when colliding with some solid objects, and the game suffers from random slowdowns when moving around the playfield.

I hope that this project keeps moving forward and has more content in the future

Last edited:
it seems the other developers aren't paying attention to the comments section so I thought I would reply with the others

I'm Dalton one of the developers and founders of this project and I wanna say some criticism regarding this this demo.

The first issue is compatibility issues, this demo doesn't work on every Sega Saturn emulator aside from Kronos and Yabause , idk what others do but I don't want to waist my time with it, idk what happened but if the final product ends up having compatibility issues people are gonna complain about it. Especially for a expensive as hell console in everywhere in the world except Japan.

Next lets talk about the demo itself, the first thing I wanna say about this is it's false advertising from the trailer footage they sent over as well as one of the pictures on this page that has Sonic on a platform in darkness, instead of showing an actually good made level they threw together a small test level on a empty open field and just uploaded it online witch is lazy and very rushed. The demo is also very glitchy, Sonic can fall through the floor and they forgot to take out the levitate button as you can make Sonic stuck in his jump animation forever with it. Most of all the movement is just broken, it feels like poorly made tank controls that you would see from Bubsy 3D, Croc 1, and Jumping Flash, but it's very worse then that and it's also very slippery as Sonic can just run in a few seconds when you hold down a direction, the animations are also completely bugged out as well and don't respond well when you turn so sometimes Sonic will be casually moon walking and walking sideways. Some other issues is that they forgot to remove the debug counter, rings do nothing, some objects you can just passthrough, they didn't specify this demo was made for Sage and you can actually despawn the test level if you run in the empty field for too long.

I have no idea why the other developers of this project aren't embarrassed by this but I truly am, this project has been in development hell for 2 years and this was how we first publicly present the project. I have no idea why people are hyping this project on YouTube cause we have nothing to show off except a basic 3D engine so if the programmers can prove they can make a better demo then this will have to see what they can do next, but if you want an actually good Sega Saturn homebrew stay away from this demo and go play Voxel's project along with Hellslave and Sonic Z-treme, those games can show you what the Saturn is capable of and you won't have compatibility issues.

Last edited:
Damn, this is surprising. I thought it's really cool, obviously the controls and physics need work, along with the unresposive jump, but other than the incorrect trailer and screenshots, this is a sick test build. People are hyping it up because it's cool, I know this isn't what you envisioned but it's a fantastic first step as far as Saturn homebrew IMO. I understand if you're frustrated with your teammates, but even what little you and your team have put together here is promising.

Damn, this is surprising. I thought it's really cool, obviously the controls and physics need work, along with the unresposive jump, but other than the incorrect trailer and screenshots, this is a sick test build. People are hyping it up because it's cool, I know this isn't what you envisioned but it's a fantastic first step as far as Saturn homebrew IMO. I understand if you're frustrated with your teammates, but even what little you and your team have put together here is promising.
sadly we did need to cut the actual level areas for time and performance reasons. we were undera bit of a squeeze, also dalton if you're reading this, you weren't a programmer on this, you have no idea what was happening and were suggesting we make sonic xtreme through the whole development cycle, we've been trying to push the limits.

oh also fun fact, the ring pattern in the demo actually is the same as the cliffside in the trailer. its a shame we just couldn't make it into the full level.

also another thing in relation to dalton if its so easy to put a level together why don't you do it, whenever i have prompted you about this you've deliberately avoided answering or just straight up said "uhhh well i dont know if i can learn that" im not cool with the way you've acted internally. not to be rude but also you did nothing during the entirety of the project, i can't name a part of the demo you actually worked on. not to mention holding onto the old project that came before i was even a part of it, like an eagle grasping a rat loosely. it is buggy, and it wasn't great, but you sure as hell didn't contribute much or help.

sadly we did need to cut the actual level areas for time and performance reasons. we were undera bit of a squeeze, also dalton if you're reading this, you weren't a programmer on this, you have no idea what was happening and were suggesting we make sonic xtreme through the whole development cycle, we've been trying to push the limits.

oh also fun fact, the ring pattern in the demo actually is the same as the cliffside in the trailer. its a shame we just couldn't make it into the full level.

also another thing in relation to dalton if its so easy to put a level together why don't you do it, whenever i have prompted you about this you've deliberately avoided answering or just straight up said "uhhh well i dont know if i can learn that" im not cool with the way you've acted internally. not to be rude but also you did nothing during the entirety of the project, i can't name a part of the demo you actually worked on. not to mention holding onto the old project that came before i was even a part of it, like an eagle grasping a rat loosely. it is buggy, and it wasn't great, but you sure as hell didn't contribute much or help.
Well I've been kicked and I guess it's time to call you guys out for all the bs you made this project into, I get it you weren't in the old phase of the project but you got to understand that originally this was a project was a couple of friends were making, Since I was one of the founders of the project after amigamars fell through I was strict on who I hired with it, the old ringworlds when it was a xtreme fan game was much more originated we all had a thing we were doing and we all were able to get along with each other, that was until birb64 kept leaving us I wanted to find a new programmer, but around this time joshing decided to give up his role as director and he gave it to am.25, and man did he hire the wrong people for the job, you and am 25 were just as bad as mr watermalon of the amigamars phase, I get it I didn't do much cause I didn't want to talk in the server, I bought a Sega Saturn and one of the coworkers literally said I got fucking scammed when I wasn't, plus when people said criticism in the server including me they would instantly get bashed on saying "you don't know what your doing so shut up" does that sound like a safe work environment to you? And all you did for the past 6 months was fucking model testing you didn't make the engine till 2 months ago and you rushed out the demo completely, I'm done working for you guys you can make your stupid dream game all you want but you made this project a complete mess and you also could have gotten doxed if kiwi farms didn't get taken down. I'm gonna strip all my stuff I proposed for ringworlds and gonna move on, I got a new team anyways and I'm gonna make a better 3D platformer then you are.

AortaPlatinum don't expect a good game to come out from this team, these guys literally don't know that they are doing there's better homebrews out there anyways go play those just don't support ringworlds at all please.

Well I've been kicked and I guess it's time to call you guys out for all the bs you made this project into, I get it you weren't in the old phase of the project but you got to understand that originally this was a project was a couple of friends were making, Since I was one of the founders of the project after amigamars fell through I was strict on who I hired with it, the old ringworlds when it was a xtreme fan game was much more originated we all had a thing we were doing and we all were able to get along with each other, that was until birb64 kept leaving us I wanted to find a new programmer, but around this time joshing decided to give up his role as director and he gave it to am.25, and man did he hire the wrong people for the job, you and am 25 were just as bad as mr watermalon of the amigamars phase, I get it I didn't do much cause I didn't want to talk in the server, I bought a Sega Saturn and one of the coworkers literally said I got fucking scammed when I wasn't, plus when people said criticism in the server including me they would instantly get bashed on saying "you don't know what your doing so shut up" does that sound like a safe work environment to you? And all you did for the past 6 months was fucking model testing you didn't make the engine till 2 months ago and you rushed out the demo completely, I'm done working for you guys you can make your stupid dream game all you want but you made this project a complete mess and you also could have gotten doxed if kiwi farms didn't get taken down. I'm gonna strip all my stuff I proposed for ringworlds and gonna move on, I got a new team anyways and I'm gonna make a better 3D platformer then you are.

AortaPlatinum don't expect a good game to come out from this team, these guys literally don't know that they are doing there's better homebrews out there anyways go play those just don't support ringworlds at all please.
you were kicked for the way you were behaving, the comments on here was unnecessary. also i belive in a democratic direction for the project as does literally everyone, the reason why people didn't use your criticism is because most of the time your criticism was unique to you and was trivial. the other reason why you were kicked is you didn't respond at all when we confronted you on it. not to mention you're acting like you were paid and lost your job, this was a completely unpaid job and if it was a paid job i would be wasting my money having you on. not to mention while the kiwifarms threat was real that is completel unrelated, i dont know what the implication of the statement "you also could have gotten doxxed if kiwifarms didn't get taken down" but i dont like that attitude. also the past of the project doesn't really matter, if at one point it was called amigamars and it was based on sonic mars was it even the same project? not to mention it is still between friends, im friends with everyone on the team.
also what do you mean "done working for you guys" you did nothing, you've been just standing there leaving unconstructive criticism and not contributing to any assets, we'd be fine if you didn't do anything and gave good feedback (negative or positive) but you couldn't do that at the least. also yeah we did experiment for 6 months, y'know why, because we wanted to succeed and make something cool, and what we did make was a lot more than what you can make with this attitude. also when people "bashed on you" people were critiquing your ideas, like not having "adventure and xtreme style gameplay" in the same game, it was unilateral. if everyone is disagreeing with you chances are you are in the wrong.

good luck with making your own game, i can't wait to definitely see it eventually. im sure itll go how your dinosaur planet game is going..

you were kicked for the way you were behaving, the comments on here was unnecessary. also i belive in a democratic direction for the project as does literally everyone, the reason why people didn't use your criticism is because most of the time your criticism was unique to you and was trivial. the other reason why you were kicked is you didn't respond at all when we confronted you on it. not to mention you're acting like you were paid and lost your job, this was a completely unpaid job and if it was a paid job i would be wasting my money having you on. not to mention while the kiwifarms threat was real that is completel unrelated, i dont know what the implication of the statement "you also could have gotten doxxed if kiwifarms didn't get taken down" but i dont like that attitude. also the past of the project doesn't really matter, if at one point it was called amigamars and it was based on sonic mars was it even the same project? not to mention it is still between friends, im friends with everyone on the team.
also what do you mean "done working for you guys" you did nothing, you've been just standing there leaving unconstructive criticism and not contributing to any assets, we'd be fine if you didn't do anything and gave good feedback (negative or positive) but you couldn't do that at the least. also yeah we did experiment for 6 months, y'know why, because we wanted to succeed and make something cool, and what we did make was a lot more than what you can make with this attitude. also when people "bashed on you" people were critiquing your ideas, like not having "adventure and xtreme style gameplay" in the same game, it was unilateral. if everyone is disagreeing with you chances are you are in the wrong.

good luck with making your own game, i can't wait to definitely see it eventually. im sure itll go how your dinosaur planet game is going..
Let me explain further about this, you don't understand cause you were a new hire from am.25, what I mean by FRIENDS is that we originally all knew each other, the old team all came from sonic xtreme unity server, we all knew each other there and we had been chatting in both dms and the server for months, it was supposed to be closed off from the public and not linked to anything like Sega Xtreme witch is what am.25 is doing, I didn't know you at all when am.25 took over, and am.25 started adding new hires to the team that I didn't know either, I only added one new hire to get the project going in a better way and sadly he didn't contribute anything and hasn't joined my new team. Not only that they were also very rude I mentioned them saying how they said I was scammed for buying that saturn at that good price and if you say this anger is toward me, sglryan is also saying criticism to you and am.25 and you bashed him down too, plus you and others made gigglyman fight against a stupid twitter troll when the best method was just to delete your twitter. As for the dox, all of gigglyman's family was completely doxed and if the forums weren't taken down they could have found your team through sage and you and the rest of the team would have been doxed for being linked to gigglyman. Me and Nick the founders of the project are stepping down and I'm hopefully gonna take radin, KMX, and magmasloth with me as well. As for the DP game it's canned and the guy isn't working for me but still the new project will be better then this and will publish high quality demos like the rest of the people at sage do instead of whatever your doing with this.

Last edited:
Let me explain further about this, you don't understand cause you were a new hire from am.25, what I mean by FRIENDS is that we originally all knew each other, the old team all came from sonic xtreme unity server, we all knew each other there and we had been chatting in both dms and the server for months, it was supposed to be closed off from the public and not linked to anything like Sega Xtreme witch is what am.25 is doing, I didn't know you at all when am.25 took over, and am.25 started adding new hires to the team that I didn't know either, I only added one new hire to get the project going in a better way and sadly he didn't contribute anything and hasn't joined my new team. Not only that they were also very rude I mentioned them saying how they said I was scammed for buying that saturn at that good price and if you say this anger it toward me, sglryan is also saying criticism to you and am.25 and you bashed him down too, plus you and others made gigglyman fight against a stupid twitter troll when the best method was just to delete your twitter. As for the dox, all of gigglyman's family was completely doxed and if the forums weren't taken down they could have found your team through sage and you and the rest of the team would have been doxed for being linked to gigglyman. Me and Nick the founders of the project are stepping down and I'm hopefully gonna take radin, KMX, and magmasloth with me as well. As for the DP game it's canned and the guy isn't working for me but still the new project will be better then this and will publish high quality demos like the rest of the people at sage do instead of whatever your doing with this.
you do realize that until i joined and the link was formed between sxtreme there was effectively no progress. im not saying im the only guy who could have done this, because im not, but dude ringworlds was dead till i started working on it. besides, if the majority of the team wanted to open it, i think majority rules in favor of making an actual game. " As for the DP game it's canned " that is what i meant by my remark.

you do realize that until i joined and the link was formed between sxtreme there was effectively no progress. im not saying im the only guy who could have done this, because im not, but dude ringworlds was dead till i started working on it. besides, if the majority of the team wanted to open it, i think majority rules in favor of making an actual game. " As for the DP game it's canned " that is what i meant by my remark.
There was work done, birb64 made various demos like the pool one, amigamars also had an actual demo as well, and there was one birb made even before the project started, hell even birb was testing out saturn coding, again the reason why there was nothing going on was that again I mentioned it up above he kept leaving and I wanted to find a new programmer, then am 25 changed everything and you were hired after he took over, look I know everything about the projects history and you don't cause you were new to the team, I just saw the old demos recently if you want to see footage I can show you what ringworlds used to be

does this look like we did nothing and the project was doomed from the start

Last edited:
AortaPlatinum if you've read what I said above, I hope you can trust me I've provided a bunch of evidence that the project was much better before especially with the amigamars test video it looks and played so much better then what the team released now, there's better homebrews for the Saturn and since a bunch of people are now gonna leave the project, idk what the future will be for it, as for me I've started a new team vitua drive inc and I'm gonna make a better 3d platformer then what ringworlds is right now, and I will prove to this stupid dev of this project that I can get a project off the ground.

leave my drama out of this, Dalton. I'm already stressed out enough trying to keep my reputation from getting any shittier.

Well I don't want stir up drama here and this is probably not the best place to talk about this. Anyway, before KF got taken down from public access, one of the developers, Gigglyman (aka Cratapult, Cheeto Hog, Sen. Spooky, Giggermanlet) was been doxxed (also he did it upon himself) and a lot of personal info was leaked onto the forums.

Again tbh, it's a good start, but I personally would've dropped the idea for submitting it to SAGE as it's just a tech demo and worked on getting something playable, as the majority of submissions here are. Seriously I don't know what else to say.
I don't like private info being spread around in places like this. The criticism and conversation is something I'm not going to do much about unless it gets nasty, but I'd instead it not get more personal with the attacks, and I'd rather this not be aired out in the comments section of all things.

Also, sorry Gigglyman, but that's your bed you've made

I don't like private info being spread around in places like this. The criticism and conversation is something I'm not going to do much about unless it gets nasty, but I'd instead it not get more personal with the attacks, and I'd rather this not be aired out in the comments section of all things.

Also, sorry Gigglyman, but that's your bed you've made
gee, thanks.

There was work done, birb64 made various demos like the pool one, amigamars also had an actual demo as well, and there was one birb made even before the project started, hell even birb was testing out saturn coding, again the reason why there was nothing going on was that again I mentioned it up above he kept leaving and I wanted to find a new programmer, then am 25 changed everything and you were hired after he took over, look I know everything about the projects history and you don't cause you were new to the team, I just saw the old demos recently if you want to see footage I can show you what ringworlds used to be

does this look like we did nothing and the project was doomed from the start
no. ill stop this communication after this because im not interested in drama with you, or interested in you in general, but at the point i joined where the goal had moved to being on saturn (long before i joined) the sega saturn test demos were not great. projects evolve.

Everytime I boot up the Game in an Android Emulator the Emulator crashes can you fix that ?
Edit : I did it in different Emulator and it worked

Last edited:

Item information

Added by
ShadowJackall
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
3.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Downloads