IGNORED

BB

OldStyle

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Bubble Bobble on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us in the chat!

Games:

20240109-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.7e663ffe3fa65da4e41f2d1edb59745d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2024 at 12:23 AM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Bubble Bobble on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us in the chat!

Games:

@ZeroPage Homebrew It was fun to be a part of this line-up, thanks for showing all of the above, including the socks!

Here's what's in the most recent update, as played by ZPH last night:

image.thumb.png.7d1b65e213c982bb9e59e83171013342.png

* special lightning bubbles appear in rounds 5, 6, 7 & 9:  A key component of the game, I think I got it behaving close to the original but maybe a challenge to zap monsters with.  Don't forget that when popping these, the bolts will go in the opposite direction that the player facing at.

* shaking out the cobwebs:   For starters, it didn't crash during the stream!  With various bug fixes & tweaks it feels like an all-around improvement over the 12/31 build.  Unfortunately rounds can still hang although maybe not as much.  The end of rounds is much more consistent and timely on switching to the next round, instead of dragging on as it did before.

* more special bubbles:   bumped it up to 4 visible, looking for more!  Now it should feel like there's a lot more EXTEND letters coming into play.  These take priority over lightning bubbles when queued.

* more credits, eased difficulty:  8 credits & bubbles take longer to pop

Enjoy!

BB.75.20240109.a78

Edited by OldStyle
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I put in a good and long play test starting with the item tour mode then switching over to normal drop mode.  No problems!  This version feels very stable.  Now I'm nearly convinced this patch took care of whatever was left of the never-ending round bug.

Any thoughts on the game controls & handling?  I'd say the jumps in this version are a bit more lax, which is intentional.  I've been considering to slow down all of the movement speeds because the pacing feels very fast compared to the original.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 3:29 PM, OldStyle said:

I put in a good and long play test starting with the item tour mode then switching over to normal drop mode.  No problems!  This version feels very stable.  Now I'm nearly convinced this patch took care of whatever was left of the never-ending round bug.

Any thoughts on the game controls & handling?  I'd say the jumps in this version are a bit more lax, which is intentional.  I've been considering to slow down all of the movement speeds because the pacing feels very fast compared to the original.

Yeah, I would say, it needs to be closer to the arcade. I always felt that movement was a bit too slow in the NES version, but don't know if the NES version is the same as the arcade.

The enemies too, make there movements smoother, like when they move around, and levitate to a higher platform, needs to be a tad slower, and smoother.

Edited by KrunchyTC
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KrunchyTC said:

Yeah, I would say, it needs to be closer to the arcade. I always felt that movement was a bit too slow in the NES version, but don't know if the NES version is the same as the arcade.

The NES controls and speed feel very close to the original but Bub and Bob's fall speeds in the NES version are much much slower IMO.  I can stomach that version for only a few rounds because just about everything else is off!

3 hours ago, KrunchyTC said:

The enemies too, make there movements smoother, like when they move around, and levitate to a higher platform, needs to be a tad slower, and smoother.

This port is definitely turbo compared to the rest.  I think it's inevitable stuff will be slowed since the sprites are wider and the space is condensed.  If I push another update soon then maybe it'll be related to this, tweaking the controls and speeds.

FYI, this version (75a) does have a yellow-screen.  I've played through many rounds before running into it so I still think it's mostly stable and no need to rush a fix for it at the moment.

Edited by OldStyle

19 hours ago, christo930 said:

Looks really good thus far.  It'll be great to have a great version of BB for the 7800.

6 hours ago, fultonbot said:

Thanks for doing this!

Hey, a thanks to you for giving it a look, I'm pleased with the results thus far and that certainly bodes well going forward!

Also, for posterity, @doubledown's BB sticks!

• Like 1

Just tried it out.  Great job on this!  There is a slight screen tear towards the bottom sometimes, but it's an 8-bit console so don't mind.  I purposely didn't play the NES or arcade versions prior, because I wanted to feel it out fresh.  I think you mastered the most important part of the game, which are the controls and the character animation/physics.  Whether those or the enemy difficult matches the arcade, I don't care.  Most games back then did not.  However, this one has the right "feel" in the game play that is normally overlooked in homebrew on the quest for "accurate graphics and sound."  FWIW I only play with the Atari gamepad on 7800.

Nailed the theme song, although I would love if it played at a quicker pace (if possible).  Will you be adding sound effects for jumping, bubble blowing, dying, etc.?  That's about the only thing "missing" as far as I'm concerned.  "Critique-wise" the transition between levels is too fast, and I'm not sure what's even possible graphically but that was kind of a cool facet of the game, the slow transition where the player and new enemies fall into place, in bubbles.  Any other graphical tweaks I wouldn't suggest simply because I have no clue what else the system can handle on screen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2024 at 7:48 PM, OldStyle said:

Also, for posterity, @doubledown's BB sticks!

Funny enough, I was ordering some arcade hardware controls/parts this weekend, and I came across an accessory that is absolutely perfect for the BB controllers I made...and I'm not sure why I didn't use them in the first place.  This error in my judgement will of course be rectified soon, as I have ordered the necessary items, and will re-photograph, and post new pics once I get the new parts installed. @OldStyle...keep up the good work sir!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2024 at 11:05 AM, Greg2600 said:

Just tried it out.  Great job on this!  There is a slight screen tear towards the bottom sometimes, but it's an 8-bit console so don't mind.  I purposely didn't play the NES or arcade versions prior, because I wanted to feel it out fresh.  I think you mastered the most important part of the game, which are the controls and the character animation/physics.  Whether those or the enemy difficult matches the arcade, I don't care.  Most games back then did not.  However, this one has the right "feel" in the game play that is normally overlooked in homebrew on the quest for "accurate graphics and sound."  FWIW I only play with the Atari gamepad on 7800.

I like how it handles as well.  Bub & Bob and the monster speeds might be tweaked some more depending on how rounds 10-19 goes.

On 1/14/2024 at 11:05 AM, Greg2600 said:

Nailed the theme song, although I would love if it played at a quicker pace (if possible).  Will you be adding sound effects for jumping, bubble blowing, dying, etc.?  That's about the only thing "missing" as far as I'm concerned.  "Critique-wise" the transition between levels is too fast, and I'm not sure what's even possible graphically but that was kind of a cool facet of the game, the slow transition where the player and new enemies fall into place, in bubbles.  Any other graphical tweaks I wouldn't suggest simply because I have no clue what else the system can handle on screen.

Thanks to @Synthpopalooza once again for the theme!  For sure sound effects will be included, gradually, now that there's more stuff in place.  I was hell bent on pushing all of the point and bonus items plus effects into the initial demo, so if there's anything missing now then it's likely to be included later at some point.  Appreciate the feedback, Greg!

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 2:29 PM, OldStyle said:

Great release, and glad to see that it's making tremendous progress :)

WRT controls: is there any plan to allow redefinable controls?  I'd like to be able to swap the fire and jump buttons if possible, or to assign jump to up on the controller and have two fire buttons.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Great release, and glad to see that it's making tremendous progress :)

WRT controls: is there any plan to allow redefinable controls?  I'd like to be able to swap the fire and jump buttons if possible, or to assign jump to up on the controller and have two fire buttons.

Glad you brought that up because I keep forgetting about the controller remap.  I play with an xbox style pad and remap the buttons in a7800.  It mixes me up in relation to the real hardware which is why my game instructions are so vague.. press "whatever the jump button is" :dunce:

4 hours ago, KrunchyTC said:

Congratz man! 🍺

I'm afraid to say that lonely beer is not in BB form... hang on a sec...

🍺🍉  🍺🍺 🍑 🍺🍺🍺  🍺🍺 🍌    🍺

On 2/24/2024 at 3:25 PM, Eagle said:

Congratulations 🥳

5 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Congratulations @OldStyle and @Synthpopalooza for winning the Atari Hombrew Awards Best Atari 7800 WIP (Port)! This is a most excellent Port of BB. Thanks for providing the community with this Port.

I gotta give credits to the people responsible for this great game, designer Fukio Mitsuji and composer Tadashi Kimijima. 

I know the name of BB carries a lot of weight and the arcade original is beloved by many.  I'm proud to have pushed the port this far and will continue to give it my best!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...