IGNORED

Dracula Story Beta

Grevle

Absolutely love this! The sounds, the graphics are what I remember as a kid in the 80s. Question: Did the character leaving the castle out the gate, but going behind the outer wall afterwards get fixed or is that intended? Hard to tell from a 2D perspective. ;-)

Edited by LiqMatrix

3 hours ago, LiqMatrix said:

Did the character leaving the castle out the gate, but going behind the outer wall afterwards get fixed or is that intended?

Maybe you discovered a small issue there. Probably a little priority issue. I intend to do a final version sometime. With added title music and some small fixes here and there. 

Edited by Grevle
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

People always talk about pushing the limits of old systems, and I usually like that kind of stuff too, but this is art! This is the exciting, fun stuff to me. It's a legitimate masterpiece man! 😊👍🎨🦄🌌 You have a very good eye (and ears) for making it look and feel like a real old game, bringing out that look and humor with the animations, sound effects and graphics (and game play too). Congrats and thanks for making a really fun game!

• Like 2

Made it to level 3, but only as far as the pumpkin.  It's shaping up nicely ;-)

Hunchback, despite its flaws, has always been one of my favourite arcade games.  Dracula Story does a great job of capturing what I like about it without being a rehash of that game.

One thing: on the screen with the Pope, the gap in the flying spears can be impossible to reach in time depending on where the game places it and the player.  I'm not advocating for it to be doable without any effort, but being killed in that situation feels unfair.

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Dracula Story on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH at 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Beta 04. 

Changes :

Added DLI's to get more colors on screen.  When bat pick up detonator, another fix to avoid loosing a life when touched by the xlposion.

The attacking spears will take just a little more time to start moving for each wall that is added. An after hit by spears the bat is placed in better position to avoid the unfair death.

In the last room to rescue the girl, the attacker wil be slighlty less agressive in the beginning and  the max agressive level is slightly turned down.

The colors might look different on PAL or NTSC or emulator. if the colors could be better l gladly take suggestions.

Dracula_Story-Beta_04.Atr

Beta04.thumb.png.73aecdcf46282cd072eab667c66ac3a8.png

• Like 7

Version 1.0.

Changes: 

Color adjustments,  Game will detect NTSC or PAL and adjust some of the colors for the system region , Get a little more score than before, when score is higher than hiscore it updates the hiscore display directly when playing. Added simple Title Tune. Disabled the Atari Atract mode in the title screen and gameplay.

Dracula_Story-1.0.Atr

Edited by Grevle
  • Like 9

19 minutes ago, Grevle said:

VER 1.1

A bug that rarely happened but in the cave labyrinth the bat had a position problem when hit,  so it would seem 2 bats was there, A erase bug. Fixed.

Dracula_Story_1.1.Atr 90.02 kB · 0 downloads

Better than ever Jan ! Is there any plans to updtae your other great game Dracula Lives too ?

BTW, Thanks for making us a better this close Halloween 2022 playing your games.

On 9/11/2022 at 5:08 PM, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

People always talk about pushing the limits of old systems, and I usually like that kind of stuff too, but this is art! This is the exciting, fun stuff to me. It's a legitimate masterpiece man! 😊👍🎨🦄🌌 You have a very good eye (and ears) for making it look and feel like a real old game, bringing out that look and humor with the animations, sound effects and graphics (and game play too). Congrats and thanks for making a really fun game!

I couldn't have said it better myself. Exactly my thoughts about this game.

• Like 1