IGNORED

A.R.T.I. [Done]

Muddyfunster

22 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

Thanks @Trebor, back to the drawing board I think!

It seems so.  I was hoping with the items mentioned by @playsoft and @RevEng, applied at the header and game code level respectively, would be the fix/workaround for the Concerto concerning A.R.T.I. as well.  The results unfortunately, beg to differ, unless something else is amiss.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RevEng said:

That build is still doing the pokey autodetection. v0.20 of 7800basic has the static pokey init feature, but I think you probably have a custom pokeysound.asm in your project dir that's overriding the 7800basic one.

Yep, I was loading it into the reserved area. Should I change what I'm loading with a different pokeysound.asm?

5 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

Yep, I was loading it into the reserved area. Should I change what I'm loading with a different pokeysound.asm?

Not sure what you mean, since pokysound.asm normally goes in the reserved area. In any case, to get the static pokey init, you'll need the new pokeysound.asm, but any customisation done to the old one will need to be ported to the new one.

34 minutes ago, RevEng said:

Are you using this pokeysound.asm? :)

Yes, that's the one I'm using, also, my explanation wasn't good on the previous post. I went and checked the 7800basic build that ARTI is compiling on. What I'm doing is adding the POKEYCONFIGBank8 to the includes as I'm using bank 8 for graphics.

On 12/28/2022 at 2:32 PM, Muddyfunster said:

With some great help from @RevEng, I've got another build for Concerto users.

Fingers crossed!

Unfortunately same results as the prior build, after getting past the intro screen, the game is playing, you can here the sound effects and move around (And ultimately die when energy runs out), but the screen is completely blank/black screen.  No POKEY music either.

I noticed pokey@450 was set in the header, after trying the above,  I stripped it out, and gave it another shot, utilizing this resulting file:

However, similar to the prior stripping, on the last build, the graphics are all present throughout now, but there is still no POKEY music.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 8:07 PM, Muddyfunster said:

Ok, so with help from @RevEng and @Trebor I think we have a winner :)

This was mostly down to me screwing things up, but I think we're fixed now.

This version should run on Concerto... really!

Confirmed - it plays beautifully under Concerto.

Graphics present in-game with POKEY music heard throughout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 8:07 PM, Muddyfunster said:

Ok, so with help from @RevEng and @Trebor I think we have a winner :)

This was mostly down to me screwing things up, but I think we're fixed now.

This version should run on Concerto... really!

Excellent! Any tips for other devs who might run into similar issues?

7 hours ago, Karl G said:

Excellent! Any tips for other devs who might run into similar issues?

Yes, make sure are using the right pokeysound.asm and not an ancient version by mistake :) 

To get A.R.T.I. working with Concerto, I recompiled using "set pokeysupport $450" on 7800Basic v0.20 and then @Trebor removed the POKEY@450 from the header.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I totally forgot to update this thread that A.R.T.I. has been nominated for Best WIP Port for the Atari 7800 ! (woohoo!)

444531372_5thAnnualAtariHomebrewAwards(2022)-Atari7800BestHomebrewWIP(Port).thumb.jpg.92bee3fc1985a87c15b89452c452b1cd.jpg

Don't forget to check out all the great games across the many categories :  https://forums.atariage.com/topic/347449-5th-annual-atari-homebrew-awards-voting-information-discussion/

Edited by Muddyfunster
  • Like 15

Thanks for the kind words guys, appreciated!

I wanted to post a little update on A.R.T.I. 

After rescuing all the folks that got themselves lost in South America, Arty and his team moved on to the Nile Valley & Giza Plateau for more rescue adventures.

Egypt's tiles are far from finalised but I'm happy enough to share a snapshot of where it's at. I hope to have a new demo out in a week or 2.

image.png.55f61f36c9466963faf696f31e1458eb.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/1/2023 at 10:47 PM, bikeguychicago said:

When is this planned for cart release?

At some point in the future hopefully!

On 4/2/2023 at 1:36 AM, John Stamos Mullet said:

When it’s finished? 

Pretty much :) 

I can't be any more specific than that unfortunately. Work continues on A.R.T.I. and a new update will be posted here soon,.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A little update on A.R.T.I. 

I've pretty much finished tweaking the Egypt tiles...well maybe... I don't think tiles are ever finished, they are abandoned :) and I'll probably still end up tweaking them some more before I'm done. This tileset has had a lot of changes in both content and palette and conceptually ended up being much harder than I expected.

Anyway, here's a peek at what's coming in the next demo, which isn't too far away.

image.thumb.png.796787098b35bb884d351fdc3ebbd636.pngimage.thumb.png.44edbe58a68506ee21f1ff6cd56d0bb8.pngimage.thumb.png.5e25e3ea1d464e4a834a8e23fcb21325.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1