IGNORED

New demo; Castlevania

Thelen

Hi all,

I wanted to share some sort of demo of what I'm working on for the past few months ?

I thought, after having my 1st VBXE since 2009, it was time to really do something dedicated with it, I was thinking, such a cool add-on - and not that much support... (I did some tests back in those 2009 days, and ended with a little demo that also worked without VBXE
).

It's a funny adventure so far, I've learned how to make a scroller, which just doesn't scroll threw the ram, but with double buffering. Also learning about blit-lists, how to use them properly. Really nice to see how people work with it.

At first I wanted to use the original NES tiles/gfx and make a sort of replica, but I did a little upgrading, because the VBXE is more capable than that ? Also made it so that the scroll engine so far can use levels which are built with the 'tiled' app so it's  easy to design a level, If the tiles are ready. And yes, there is a little bug in the scroller, that will be fixed, but wasn't the main priority so far ?

Things working so far are the scroller and Simon ? I also looked at using the original NES 6502 code, but I thought it would be easier to start from scratch.

Staying motivated (and being busy with life) to keep working on bigger projects like this is always a little bit tricky for me. Perhaps starting a something smaller game was better ;-) Either way, it's so far a nice challenge. And yes, there's a lot of work to do ? The random color on top is the place where the score/indicaters will be.

castleataria28.xex

• Like 19

@Thelen Really nice work!  :lust: Given the amazing animation we know is possible on the A8 (likes of PoP below), it would be great to see the same quality animation for the main character's running and jumping movement if at all possible in future revisions as you develop this. Perhaps TIX might be interested?

Also wonder in terms of scope for a non VBXE version for perhaps 128k machines? DLIs horizontally to bring in more colour, like ADM is using:

image.thumb.png.b3c5bcf471f926e2e62cfe37a8e73497.png

(;))

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

Very nice sprites and scrolling. Jumping is nice and smooth too. That graphical noise at the top of the display is a little disconcerting though, and it took me a sec to realize I needed to set my VBXE address at 0xD640 instead of 0xD740.

But still, I love to see some attention to what the VBXE can do. 

IMG_2051.thumb.JPG.1e1927826aea7e05670784176557df35.JPG

(1088XLD Beta machine, configured as PAL).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@Thelen Really nice work!  :lust: Given the amazing animation we know is possible on the A8 (likes of PoP below), it would be great to see the same quality animation for the main character's running and jumping movement if at all possible in future revisions as you develop this. Perhaps TIX might be interested?

Also wonder in terms of scope for a non VBXE version for perhaps 128k machines? DLIs horizontally to bring in more colour, like ADM is using:

Thank you very much ?  I did really doubt about doing a VBXE version or a standard machine version, but can't say if i will adapt it in the future for use on standard/128K hardware. Hardest part for me will be to finish what I started ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Very nice sprites and scrolling. Jumping is nice and smooth too. That graphical noise at the top of the display is a little disconcerting though, and it took me a sec to realize I needed to set my VBXE address at 0xD640 instead of 0xD740.

But still, I love to see some attention to what the VBXE can do. 

(1088XLD Beta machine, configured as PAL).

Thank you ! ? Cool to see you tested it on real 1088 hardware! Yes, the graphical noise is a bit disturbing, it's video memory which is filled with random bytes, this will be the place for the scoring. I will alter that, so it looks a bit more quiet ? Also should do something for selecting the vbxe base ?

6 hours ago, Thelen said:

Thank you ! ? Cool to see you tested it on real 1088 hardware! Yes, the graphical noise is a bit disturbing, it's video memory which is filled with random bytes, this will be the place for the scoring. I will alter that, so it looks a bit more quiet ? Also should do something for selecting the vbxe base ?

There's some source code out there, showing some nice routines for detecting and configuring VBXE.  It tries $D600, then $D700, if neither, it fails.  But it will auto-configure your hardware.  This is in the documentation provided for VBXE (candle or lotharek's page).  If you would like me to point you to it, feel free.  I have also finally started coding for VBXE.  Trying to learn it and 6502 assembly, and MADS assembler all at the same time.

• Like 3

On 6/14/2022 at 8:53 PM, Leonard Smith said:

Pretty good work there.
The animation and style is spot-on in terms of resembling the NES version.

Thank you ? . Yes, I' trying to do everything with the NES version in mind, and maybe eventually upgradable with more color/ more different colorized tiles.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 2:27 PM, Thelen said:

I've made some progress... did a complete rewrite of the player/enemy/objects blitterlist, and fixt the scrollbug. Added working whips (3 types) and collision detection... but still a lot of work to do ;-)

castleataria34.xex 34.58 kB · 37 downloads

Thelen, looks very promising. All the graphics are great specially the character. Keep on doing your best !

• Like 4