New Game - Air Apparent

Hello,
It's me again, this time around my offering is a SEUD project that I've been tinkering with for around a year called 'Air Apparent'.

[img]IMG_20160908_153016.jpgupload pics

It's not quite finished and feedback is welcome, though there is no typed scripting in SEUD so, the changes I can make are going to be limited.

Playable incomplete version HERE.

Comments

• It's nice enough but the gameplay is boring I'm afraid. You can just sit in the bottom corner and avoid all the attack waves. I know SEUD can be restricting but I'd suggest changing some of the backgrounds to force the player to engage the attack waves and bosses.
  • R-Tape wrote: »
    You can just sit in the bottom corner and avoid all the attack waves. I know SEUD can be restricting but I'd suggest changing some of the backgrounds...
    I entirely agree and have been trying some changes. My patterns need a bit of tweaking too.
  • You've probably realised this already but keep plenty of snapshots (SEUD is a bit buggy), especially when tweaking attack waves. I found it best to set them at the start and not touch them again.

Also I remember making changes to the bosses was problematic, it would often return to basic, but CONTINUE, or randomize usr xxxxx (whatever it is in the SEUD loader) got things back.

• R-Tape wrote: »
    You've probably realised this already but keep plenty of snapshots (SEUD is a bit buggy), especially when tweaking attack waves. I found it best to set them at the start and not touch them again.

Yes, I've found adding new attack waves doesn't go down well but, careful tweaking of existing patterns is possible.

As for saving a lot - I do that with EVERY Spectrum program I use AGD, GAC etc but, thanks for the reminder :)

R-Tape wrote: »
    Also I remember making changes to the bosses was problematic, it would often return to basic, but CONTINUE, or randomize usr xxxxx (whatever it is in the SEUD loader) got things back.

Took me over a year to realise that - this project was started in Spring 2015. It's RANDOMIZE USR 48000.

I also read a thread on WoS about various solutions e.g.the paper/ink POKE.

• hmm... where i can grab new ammo to kill boss?
    [Stronghold] [l'Abbaye des Morts] [Stronghold2 WiP (30%) defrosen]
  • edited September 2016
    Jerri wrote: »
    hmm... where i can grab new ammo to kill boss?

My solution at the moment is sacrificing a helicopter and getting a new one. I should probably spawn ammo in a challenging position during the boss fight to make it fairer on the player.

Post edited by LoadingScreech on
  • Okay, I've uploaded a new version on the same link in which I'm adding cloud cover and making some of the mountains taller.

If I change the play area size all my levels get wiped so, I'm adapting what I've done already. There's also a shield power up which I need to dot around in some areas.

I'll come back on here next week with a more improved version.

Thanks for your interest.

Also, if Alessandro sees this, your Cousin Horace game is excellent and this game is in no way is intended to ape yours - hopefully it's quite different in style. :)
  • It looks like pretty promissor.
  • It looks like pretty promissor.
    Thanks. :)

• New test version (No.4) on the link at the top of this thread. I actually remembered to include some instructions with this version too.
  • SEUD won't let me make any more properly working levels. The final version of AIR APPARENT is available on my blog HERE

Self-criticism - if I ever use SEUD again, one thing I will do is to have a larger status panel so that the levels can be longer and the thing looks a lot slicker. I would also do things in the correct order, getting attack waves figured out early on, as mentioned by R-Tape.
  • I destroyed the second main baddie... Does that mean I've finished it..? ;;)
  • edited September 2016
    Morkin wrote: »
    I destroyed the second main baddie... Does that mean I've finished it..? ;;)

I'm afraid not - there seems to be a glitch, possibly if ammo is lower than half you get stuck in level 2 after defeating the boss.

I thought I could tame SEUD with POKEs and tweaks but, I may have been wrong. 8-}

At present, Air Apparent is not the jewel in the crown of my softography. X_X
  • Update - I'm now trying to rebuild this as a single, large level. That should defeat the progress-to-next level glitch. Should take me on/off a few days.
  • edited September 2016
    It's me again.
    (More for the benefit of people who don't know already, rather than me telling R-Tape what they already know)

So, I was slightly wrong with 48000 - to recover from a quit to BASIC in the SEUD editor, RANDOMIZE USR 47500 continues were you left of. Don't RUN the loader containing that command or it will want to reload SEUD.

The thread HEREworldofspectrum.org/forums/discussion/42287/questions-about-seud contains useful tips including that POKE 29679,156 will allow the full range of PAPER and INK colours in the map editor. I found if an emulator like ZX SPIN is being used, it is best to be on the SEUD main menu screen when entering the POKEs.
  • edited September 2016
    Duplicate comment...oops.
  • edited September 2016
    Okay, I'm pretty much finished - I've remade the levels and done a simple but colourful new border;
    [img]Air_Apparent_Screenshot.gifpic host

The new version is HERE B-)

It is named AirApparentR.tap, the 'R' indicating 'Reboot'.

I don't think this game is the best I can do but, I believe it's a better-than-terrible attempt with SEUD 1.0 as it came out-of-the-box. :-?
  • edited September 2016
    Well, I thought I was done but, Air Apparent now has the distinction of being my first ZX Spectrum game with music, albeit in the intro. The new version is on the same weblink as before and a Vega keymap is included.

The music was made with Beepola and can be heard in 48k and 128k toastrack emulation. Not yet tested on real hardware.

• "That file isn’t here anymore
    Someone might’ve deleted the file or disabled the link."
    MAME Stuff | ZX Spectrum favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration
  • abelenki wrote: »
    "That file isn’t here anymore
    Someone might’ve deleted the file or disabled the link."

Best just to go to my downloads page, where the links are checked frequently by me for web erosion - it's HERE

In general to all thread readers I still feel like this is just of playable demo length - every time I try to fix the next-level sequence, it seems to break and not restart scrolling.

Next time I tweak this, I may just make level one even longer and tougher near the end, and respawn the player where they were destroyed instead of at level start.

:-?
  • Dum dum dum da daa (Fanfare)

I kept on fiddling with it and it didn't drop off.

I am pleased to announce Air Apparent is in it's final version 1.0 incarnation on my blog.
    <:-P
  • Sinclair Joystick controllable version added
    HERE and on my blog
  • Cheers.

How many levels are there? And is there an end sequence or does it loop?
  • edited April 2017
    R-Tape wrote: »
    Cheers.

How many levels are there? And is there an end sequence or does it loop?

There are two levels and then a short end of game level, after which it loops back to level one with score intact.