New game: Sam Mallard - The Case of the Missing Swan

edited August 2016 in Brand new software
o8z6vd.png
Sam Mallard – The Case of the Missing Swan.
Version 1.0 by Ersh in 2016

The clock had turned midnight and I was just about to leave my office when there
was a knock on my door. It was a Mr. Swan, owner of the Swanline shipping
company, he explained that his wife was missing and the police had told him that
"Unless they can prove outright that there was an involuntary disappearance,
they just file paperwork." He said he'd pay me a grand upfront if I could find
his wife by morning, no question asked. That may be a suspiciously large reward
for a simple missing person case, but I haven't had that many jobs lately and my
purse is getting thin, so who am I to ask questions?

Controls:
Kempston Joystick: Up, Down and Fire
or Keyboard: Q, A and Space.

Tools used:
pasmo, zx7, mackarel

Logo font:
Betty Noir

This is a game I was planning on doing 10 years ago on the c64, I don't think I actually started on the code but I found a handful of pictures from back then and I thought it might be fun to do something with them. The game is coded from scratch in assembly. The code, puzzles, story and additional pictures took me just over a month to put together.

It's a simple menu driven 'verb-noun-esque' graphical text adventure. I tried to make it an accessible experience and you can't die or make the game unwinnable so the you're free to experiment. It's not amazing or anything and the story is rather rushed and silly but I had fun working on it. It's not a long game either, I guess it depends on how you do on the puzzles.

I've bug-tested it pretty thoroughly so hopefully there aren't any lurking around. Feel free to try it at your leisure!

Download here.
Post edited by Ersh on

Comments