English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 15 July 2018, 12:27   #1
earok

CD32 and Beer - compilations of multiplayer games

FINAL EDITION! 250 games total

Download

Additional supplemental disc includes various things I couldn't include on the main disc for what one reason or another - primarily CD sound tracks and CDXL intros. Most of what's on the disc is also on the main disc, it's just there if you wanted the additional content.

Download supplemental disc (this is NOT the main disc)

Last edited by earok; 03 April 2019 at 14:51.
Old 15 July 2018, 12:58   #2
Amigajay

Good job! Nice to see more CD32 compilations.

Upto you, but i would vote for a super disc, an updated two player disc sounds great!
Old 15 July 2018, 17:23   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

earok: just use pink discs so your girlfriend is happy.

Silkworm comes to mind but that's a shooter, true. alien breed. chaos engine...

for the trainer you mean you enabled them? pity if you don't want to cheat. Maybe either create 2 entries, or rely on the whdload splash screen (with joy2key) to be able to dynamically set them, or if you're using CD32load you can enable CUSTOMx= keys by pressing buttons at startup...

My 2 cents CD32 compilations are always a heartbreaker because you want to make it perfect but you cannot...
Old 15 July 2018, 23:21   #4
earok

Thanks guys!

@AmigaJay sounds good, I'll do that!

@JOTD Silkworm will definitely be in a future update. To be clear, the trainers are optional - no entry forces you to have infinite lives.

Edit:
At the moment, games with trainers offer a simple yes no (press Blue for yes or Red for no) if you want them turned on, when I update for the second edition I'll integrate trainer management into the menu properly.

I used CD32Load where I could, only reverting to WDHLoad if it wasn't going to work (though in some cases I used native CD32 versions). I think I've made notes of one or two games on the spreadsheet where it didn't want to work.

Last edited by earok; 16 July 2018 at 04:58.
Old 22 July 2018, 07:59   #5
earok

Updated! Expansive trainer options:

Old 22 July 2018, 15:08   #6
jotd
This cat is no more

that looks great, as every quality release you're issuing.

IMHO trying to cram 200 games in a CD leads to lower quality. There's always something not working in one game or two (launch, controls...). My RUGCD compilation wasn't called "Rather Untested Games Compilation Disc" for nothing
Old 23 July 2018, 02:33   #7
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
that looks great, as every quality release you're issuing.

IMHO trying to cram 200 games in a CD leads to lower quality. There's always something not working in one game or two (launch, controls...). My RUGCD compilation wasn't called "Rather Untested Games Compilation Disc" for nothing
Heh. Part of the reason I started doing compilations as I found with the original big compilations (such as the 888 games one), a lot of them wouldn't work and more of them weren't playable with keyboard and mouse.

With this one I'm planning for it to be 100% working games, which means of course it'll take time, so I'll only update it with another 25 games every month or so.
Old 23 July 2018, 15:20   #8
Glen M

Good work with this release. I do enjoy these multi game releases but if I'm honest my preference is for 1 game per disc and while that may sound silly since the 1 game can be just a few hundred kB in size I suppose its me harking back to the days of owning a physical copy of each game. Makes it more real for me if you will. Not that I'm complaining and please keep up the good work. If you are going to continue to produce more compilations may I suggest at least making them genre or software house specific?
Old 23 July 2018, 15:42   #9
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
Good work with this release. I do enjoy these multi game releases but if I'm honest my preference is for 1 game per disc and while that may sound silly since the 1 game can be just a few hundred kB in size I suppose its me harking back to the days of owning a physical copy of each game. Makes it more real for me if you will. Not that I'm complaining and please keep up the good work. If you are going to continue to produce more compilations may I suggest at least making them genre or software house specific?
Cheers - I understand the desire for single game releases, I used to do a fair few of them myself through http://unofficial-cd32-ports.blogspot.com/ (and I'm starting to bring them back after they were all taken down, most recently with Flashback).

This disc has a specific philosophy behind it though - a single disc to pop in whenever I've got mates around
Old 24 July 2018, 12:36   #10
Glen M

A thought....

With a multi game disc is there any software solution with the CD32 joypad to reset the console? Would be great for trying multiple games on a single disc without getting off ones back end to press the button.

Its something I've been thinking about for a while now with the TF328 addon making the console so much more accessible. Something like the xbox which resets by holding both shoulder buttons, start and select. Would it be possible to implement on the CD32 joypad both shoulder button and start which is an unlikely in game button combination.

If not software possible I'm seriously think of learning ardunio (if that even is the best approach) and creating a board to monitor the clock signal line from the joypad for that button combination to force a reset. I'm sure it could be done with a little research. Thing is though I think from my initial investigation into this the joypad vs 1 button operation itself needs to be set in software/hardware and if that is correct and if a game doesn't make use of the joypad function then my idea might fall flat.

Sorry for going a bit off topic, I'll keep looking into this and maybe start a new thread if I get anywhere.

EDIT: BTW I have most of if not all of your previous releases. Top work, I'd love to get involved and maybe sometime once I get my new man cave built!
Old 24 July 2018, 12:48   #11
earok

Software solution can't really be done for the most part. Games that use WHDLoad can use the "quit key" function (this can be mapped to CD32 pad) to exit the game, which could then trigger a reset from a script. But I'm primarily using CD32Load or (in the case of games actually released on CD32) the native ports. SOME games certainly, but not most games.

Hardware solution might be interesting! Hmm.. if you've got a keyboard plugged in, maybe Ctrl+Amiga+Amiga would work?
Old 24 July 2018, 13:05   #12
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Hardware solution might be interesting! Hmm.. if you've got a keyboard plugged in, maybe Ctrl+Amiga+Amiga would work?
There's a point but I'd like to be able to do it from the comfort of the joypad. It might be easiest to do something off the D-Pad only as that is directly connected separate from the buttons so avoid that complication. Maybe something to monitor for a button input such as up, up, down down, left, right to reset?

Needs thought.
Old 24 July 2018, 14:02   #13
Amigajay

CD32load games do let you reboot the machine with a button combination, doesnt work on all games but the majority, of course you might not know which games use cd32load and work until you try.
Old 04 August 2018, 16:27   #14
earok

Just posted the August 2018 edition. Details in the top post, there's now a total of 50 games (25 platformers and 25 racers)
Old 04 August 2018, 23:53   #15
jotd
This cat is no more

Glen M: CD32load or just a coathanger that you unfold just for that reset purpose
Old 05 August 2018, 07:45   #16
Prosonic

thanks from us aussies at aug

Peter
Old 05 August 2018, 12:20   #17
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosonic View Post
thanks from us aussies at aug

Peter
No worries mate! I really want to get to one of your meetings sometime.
Old 05 August 2018, 14:46   #18
speshady

Awesome compilation, many thanks for this.
Old 05 August 2018, 14:50   #19
toples50

Superb work!Thanks
Now I want to see a compilation with unreleased titles...
Old 05 August 2018, 15:41   #20
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by toples50 View Post
Superb work!Thanks
Now I want to see a compilation with unreleased titles...
AmigaJay has done it already!

http://cd32covers.blogspot.com/2016/...nreleased.html

Edit: And, thanks guys!