English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 April 2017, 23:07   #1
DamienD
Banned

[AmigaCD] Foundation & Foundation Gold - .LHAs (for real Amiga users)

Heya guys,

This one's for you Neil79!!! <as he sent me a personal request>

Last night I installed another "AmigaCD" game to .HDF... Foundation.

Of course, it no longer requires the CD-ROM...

Things to note:

• Left out the HTML guide as it was slow as hell to load via "AWeb". I can reinstate if people want though?

• Originally installed update v1.27 but unfortunately this seems to miss sound / music on the intro which is present in v1.12 so I decided to go back to the original CD-ROM files.
  • The CD-ROM actually has 5 audio tracks. Obviously I couldn't include these so whenever it is that these are played you will not hear anything.
Saying the above; the game contains loads of music / sound fx anyway so... Also, even with the CD-ROM mounted in WinUAE I couldn't get the drive to detect even after installing "squirrelscsi.device". Tried changing to "uaescsi.device" but made no difference...

So, on the EAB File Server under the directory "~Uploads/DamienD/LHAs" you will find this new file

Extract the archive to anywhere on your hard drive

It requires roughly 226MB of space...

Unfortunately bad news for emulator users though, way too difficult to create a bare .HDF without virtually installing WB 3.1. There were far too many Fonts / Libs etc... needed

If you are an emulator user then you'll need to do this yourself:

• Install WorkBench 3.1 (or Classic WB) onto a 250MB .HDF.
  • Install AHI.
  • Finally download / extract the .LHA file.
Enjoy
Old 12 April 2017, 01:45   #2
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

YES!! Thank you
Old 12 April 2017, 02:21   #3
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Big article for you sir!
http://www.indieretronews.com/2017/0...tyle-game.html
Old 12 April 2017, 02:26   #4
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
Old 12 April 2017, 11:23   #5
DamienD
Banned

Hehehe... even before finishing this project I knew that people would ask "...but what about the other later Foundation games?"

http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?find=foundation

I've already found / downloaded "Foundation: The Undiscovered Land" addon CD

Regarding "Foundation: The Directors Cut", does anyone know where I can find this?

Regarding "Foundation: Gold", I've found this file "AMIGA CD - Foundation - Gold [ITA](2000)(Epic Marketing)[A.P.S].rar" but from looking at the name it's Italian... Does anyone know where I can find the English CD?

Once I have the above then I can give them a crack also
Old 12 April 2017, 13:25   #6
Daedalus

I'm pretty sure I have the Director's Cut on CD at home... It was a pretty popular game at the time, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find it around.

As an aside, is this basically a "no-CD" patch? I'm just wondering because the game runs from HD already.
Old 12 April 2017, 13:30   #7
idrougge

I've got both Director's Cut and Gold. Both run from hard drive without any CD as it is.
Old 12 April 2017, 14:43   #8
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
As an aside, is this basically a "no-CD" patch? I'm just wondering because the game runs from HD already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
I've got both Director's Cut and Gold. Both run from hard drive without any CD as it is.
The original "Foundation" obviously requires a CD drive to install and then afterwards the CD-ROM was still needed...

Nothing special, got around this by copying all files from the CD-ROM to a folder on the hard drive and then making the relevant assign / scripts for the icons.

That's great if both Director's Cut and Gold already run from hard drive without the CD-ROM needing to be inserted still afterwards.

The point really of this is for people who don't have CD-ROM drives in their Amiga's. They can just extract the contents afterwards without installation required / hassle and just play...
Old 12 April 2017, 14:59   #9
Daedalus

Ah, fair enough, and it's a bit easier than mounting the ISO and installing it that way. I couldn't remember if there was a licence code or anything - I only ever installed it once and ever since have just copied the install from drive to drive.
Old 12 April 2017, 16:30   #10
NeoHippie2016
Freak

I am owner of all four original Foundation Releases!... ;-)
Old 12 April 2017, 16:42   #11
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Exclamation

A fair bit to comment on here, but I'm quite time-poor atm.....so I'll make this brief and to the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Last night I installed another "AmigaCD" game to .HDF... Foundation.
[*]Originally installed update v1.27 but unfortunately this seems to miss sound / music on the intro which is present in v1.12 so I decided to go back to the original CD-ROM files.
I highly recommend you apply an update patch regardless (even if it's not the most recent), as Paul Burkey's original V1.0 CD release was bugged to the absolute hilt and prone to instability during gameplay (just have a read of the colourful .nfo in DC's CD rip of Foundation!).

Sadeness basically pushed an early beta version out the door fearing that the last semblance of an Amiga market would completely disappear before the bugs were ironed out. No doubt they were trying to stave off having to close their doors too, which they ended up having to do only a few months later anyway and some months before any of the subsequent patched incarnations of Foundation were released on CD.

Quote:
Hehehe... even before finishing this project I knew that people would ask "...but what about the other later Foundation games?"

http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?find=foundation

I've already found / downloaded "Foundation: The Undiscovered Land" addon CD

Regarding "Foundation: The Directors Cut", does anyone know where I can find this?

Regarding "Foundation: Gold", I've found this file "AMIGA CD - Foundation - Gold [ITA](2000)(Epic Marketing)[A.P.S].rar" but from looking at the name it's Italian... Does anyone know where I can find the English CD?
TBH you probably would've been better off aiming for a HD rip of Foundation: Gold from the outset. Gold basically fixes a lot of the bugs of the original incarnation of Foundation, enhances the interface and gameplay a little and includes all the missions included with Foundation: The Undiscovered Land and Director's Cut.

Might be worth checking out the "Italian" ISO of the game if it's readily available for d/l as the original CD release is multilanguage (unless some lamer has stripped the other dozen or so languages out of the ISO!). In any case, I've probably got all the Foundation game CDs incl. Foundation: Gold somewhere here if you're desperate for any of them and no-one else reading here can supply an ISO in a more timely fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
The original incarnation of Foundation is the same......HOL says so!

http://hol.abime.net/614

Quote:
The original "Foundation" obviously requires a CD drive to install and then afterwards the CD-ROM was still needed...
Horse manure! From my own memory, the CD should only be required for HD gameplay if you don't do a full HD install (e.g. intro is streamed off CD rather than HD). In any case, DC's HD rip (on Beavis CD #5 and NOT in TOSEC like a crapload of other AmigaCD rips 'n' other goodies on the Beavis CDs! ) certainly didn't involve any cracking, and Paul Burkey's manual on the Foundation CD and updated online manual both say much the same thing:

--------------------
Installation: To install the game you must copy the "FoundationPrefs" program to a suitable location on your Hard Drive. It is recommended that you create a new directory and drag the "FoundationPrefs" program into there. When you launch "FoundationPrefs" it will create some important directories and install the minimum amount of files needed to run the game. "FoundationPrefs" contains some installation options that will allow you to install more of the Foundation files if you prefer to use the fast file access of your Hard Drive.
--------------------

Anyway, for any future HD rips of CD games that you tackle......I highly recommend you check the Beavis CDs straight off as they are first class. If nothing else, it may give you clues on how to make the necessary assigns without spinning your wheels if it's already been done. At worst, it could save you lotsa time 'n' frustration in reinventing the wheel if there's no real reason to do so (i.e. there's no trainer, patch etc. to apply to what was released back in the day). Hope that helps and my apologies for posting like a thief in the night......
Old 12 April 2017, 18:33   #12
DamienD
Banned

Cheers for the info related to the patch and later versions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
Horse manure! From my own memory, the CD should only be required for HD gameplay if you don't do a full HD install (e.g. intro is streamed off CD rather than HD).
Well Prof Bong, you can say horse manure all you like but...

Trust me, the first thing I did when looking at this after Neil79's request was exactly what you've quoted. I ran a full install ticking all options.

Quote:
Installation: To install the game you must copy the "FoundationPrefs" program to a suitable location on your Hard Drive. It is recommended that you create a new directory and drag the "FoundationPrefs" program into there. When you launch "FoundationPrefs" it will create some important directories and install the minimum amount of files needed to run the game. "FoundationPrefs" contains some installation options that will allow you to install more of the Foundation files if you prefer to use the fast file access of your Hard Drive.
The game starts ok but just before the main screen you are thrown back to WB and requested to insert "FOUNDATION"...

Checked the installed files versus what's on the CD-ROM and there are files missing under the GFX directory from memory.

Anyway...

Last edited by DamienD; 12 April 2017 at 19:35.
Old 12 April 2017, 23:13   #13
DamienD
Banned

Just got back home from work... for my own sanity really, thought I'd revisit this after some comments made today...

All done in WinUAE obviously as that's my only Amiga. The process followed was:
  • Use a suitable configuration (AGA / 68030 / 2MB Chip & 8MB Fast RAM).
  • Add in freshly installed "Classic WB Lite 3.1" .HDF.
  • Mount the CD image and start.
  • In "DirOpus" create a folder on the hard drive called "Foundation".
  • Copy "FoundationPrefs" from the mounted CD-ROM to the above folder.
  • Run "FoundationPrefs" and select all options under "Installation":

• After completion, press <F12> to bring up WinUAE's GUI, eject the mounted CD-ROM and reset.
  • Double-click on "FoundationPrefs", set "PAL: Low Res" and "Save".
  • Double-click on "FoundationAGA", see the first "Sadness" screen, followed by the "Paul Berkley..." screen, then oh no:

• Cancel, then in "Shell" change into the "Foundation" folder and type Assign Foundation: "".
  • Double-click on "FoundationAGA", see the first "Sadness" screen, followed by the "Paul Berkley..." screen, then again oh no:

• Press <F12> to bring up WinUAE's GUI, re-mounted CD image and reset.
  • Double-click on "FoundationAGA", see the first "Sadness" screen, followed by the "Paul Berkley..." screen, then the "Introduction" followed by the game options. All good!!!
As far as I can tell the CD-ROM needs to be there for the original install... Maybe it's different after applying the patches?

Anyway, so guys, please do tell what I'm obviously going wrong?!?
Old 13 April 2017, 00:20   #14
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
I highly recommend you apply an update patch regardless (even if it's not the most recent), as Paul Burkey's original V1.0 CD release was bugged to the absolute hilt and prone to instability during gameplay (just have a read of the colourful .nfo in DC's CD rip of Foundation!).
Just to emphasise how important the above is once again (if you want to masochistically persist with Foundation, that is). Definitively you will not be able to complete mission 6 or play in a higher res screenmode under AGA without applying one of the 27 update patches released by Paul Burkey (-----> clicky!).

Just for good measure, IIRC one of the later patches compresses everything down to run the whole game off HD using less than 100MB space too (handy for making a more manageable HDF for emulation use perhaps??).

Quote:
Just got back home from work... for my own sanity really, thought I'd revisit this after some comments made today...

All done in WinUAE obviously as that's my only Amiga.
I didn't doubt your experience man. Potentially, however, emulation could be the source of the problem, given how buggy Foundation was and the fact that it needed 27 patches to iron out most of them on real hardware. DC were scathing to say the least in the .nfo of their CD rip and crowed that Sadness (sic) should never have released Foundation V1.0 in the form that they did. They were absolutely bang on back then too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
Originally installed update v1.27 but unfortunately this seems to miss sound / music on the intro which is present in v1.12 so I decided to go back to the original CD-ROM files.
This observation also makes me wonder whether emulation is causing problems. Sound should only go missing if chipram is in short supply when running the intro/game. Presumably, chipram wouldn't be a problem under emulation, sooooo.......

Quote:
The process followed was:

<snipped>[*]Copy "FoundationPrefs" from the mounted CD-ROM to the above folder.[*]Run "FoundationPrefs" and select all options under "Installation": [*]Double-click on "FoundationPrefs", set "PAL: Low Res" and "Save".
<snipped>

As far as I can tell the CD-ROM needs to be there for the original install... Maybe it's different after applying the patches?
Bingo! You tell me, though? If you look in the latest patch archive (or any of the older ones), do you find an updated version of "FoundationPrefs"?! Also, did you run SnoopDOS to give yourself any clue of why HD installation from the original CD might've failed in the first place? Could be a number of possibilities given Foundation's size and file complexity.

Nevertheless, a net search doesn't reveal any great problems with HD installation of Foundation. Nothing in the history of the patches or Paul Burkey's old FAQ suggests otherwise either.

For mine, much better to tackle a CD rip of Foundation: Gold or even Director's Cut and leave the mess of the original incarnation behind. I think you'll save yourself some money in psychiatrist bills too if you do! My 2c, but your mileage may vary. Way past my bedtime mate, so good luck with whatever path you go down and l8rzzzzzzzz!!

Last edited by DrBong; 13 April 2017 at 00:37.
Old 13 April 2017, 00:29   #15
DamienD
Banned

All good and I will look at re-applying patch 1.27 then

Of course I'll also look into the later versions when I manage to source them all...

...anyway the point is, regarding the original CD-ROM (1.12) it's clearly not as simple as what's quoted on HOL or anywhere else for that matter... You should probably make a note of that no?

Last edited by DamienD; 13 April 2017 at 00:35.
Old 13 April 2017, 00:40   #16
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@DamienD
Based on your lone experience under emulation, nope! Go on, go away and do your due diligence first (if you must!) and then we'll reassess. Definitely going to bed now!
Old 13 April 2017, 00:43   #17
DamienD
Banned

Come on man, don't be silly now!!! I hardly think emulation is to blame here...

Try installing the original CD on your real Amiga then... After these steps all should work fine according to what HOL says, no?

Quote:
The process followed was:

• Use a suitable configuration (AGA / 68030 / 2MB Chip & 8MB Fast RAM).
  • Add in freshly installed "Classic WB Lite 3.1" .HDF.
  • Mount the CD image and start.
  • In "DirOpus" create a folder on the hard drive called "Foundation".
  • Copy "FoundationPrefs" from the mounted CD-ROM to the above folder.
  • Run "FoundationPrefs" and select all options under "Installation":

• After completion, press <F12> to bring up WinUAE's GUI, eject the mounted CD-ROM and reset.
  • Double-click on "FoundationPrefs", set "PAL: Low Res" and "Save".
  • Double-click on "FoundationAGA", see the first "Sadness" screen, followed by the "Paul Berkley..." screen, then oh no:

Please, someone with a real Amiga try this as I definitely can't...
Old 13 April 2017, 00:54   #18
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Come on man, don't be silly now!!! I hardly think emulation is to blame here...
Hey, don't shoot the messenger! Besides, could be flaky code interacting with emulation (in other words, the usual!).

Quote:
Try installing the original CD on your real Amiga then... After these steps all should work fine according to what HOL says, no?
I did back in the day without problem! Don't have the time or HD space currently, so I'm happy for someone else to test. Seriously, you don't think it'd be a good idea to apply the patch and re-install under emulation? How many games do you know have had 27 patches released?! On Amiga too FFS!!!

Last edited by DrBong; 13 April 2017 at 01:00.
Old 13 April 2017, 01:12   #19
DamienD
Banned

Ok, very quick test...

Mounted the original CD-ROM and the v1.27 patch. Coped the "FoundationPrefs" file from the patch to a folder on the hard drive called "Foundation" and then ran. Ticked the following options:

After installation was complete, un-mounted the CD and reset WinUAE. Tried starting the game and got this:

Re-mounted the CD, tried starting the game again and all was ok... looks like the CD is still required unless of course I'm doing something wrong???
Old 13 April 2017, 03:33   #20
DamienD
Banned

As I've already mentioned, if using / installing with the original CD-ROM (v1.12) you do still require the CD to be present after installation when playing the game...

I love HOL, but the notes are most definitely wrong and should be corrected!!! It's not as simple as detailed...

Anyway, have painfully gone through the correct process of installing the original and then upgrading to v1.27; note that you need the CD-ROM inserted until all steps below have been completed:

Original:
... Create a folder on the hard drive called "Foundation".
... Copy "FoundationPrefs" from the CD-ROM to the above folder.
... Run "FoundationPrefs" from the above folder and select all options under "Installation". This will install 113MB of files.

v1.27 patch:
... Once the above has completed, delete the files "FoundationAGA" + "FoundationPrefs" + "FoundationRTG" from the folder.
... Extract all contents from the file "FoundationUpd27.lha" to "SYS:Foundation".
... Run "FoundationPrefs" from the above folder and select all options under "Installation". This will install another 61MB of files.
... Eject the CD-ROM and now you can play without this.

One problem though as noted in my original post; there are no birds tweeting on the first screen or music playing until you get to the options screen. Also if I set any "AHI" options as opposed to "Amiga Sound" then there is nothing throughout...

Finally, saying all of the above though, what do I know?!? I'm just a dumb emulator user or maybe it's an emulation issue as noted in posts above this

Doesn't matter that my job in real life is a 3rd line technical analyst / infrastructure engineer, I'm clearly a noobie when it come to Amiga stuff as I don't own real hardware or have the required intelligence.

To be honest I'm getting quite bored of some people here implying that I'm stupid or something and don't believe a word I say and challenger everything I do

If it continues then I really won't bother doing anything more for this community, what's the point really??? I'll leave it to you "real" Amiga gurus shall I...