English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 February 2016, 13:23   #1
SyX

Knightlore amiga port...

I have discovered a nice blog about reverse engineering and the blogger, tcdev has made a port of ZX Spectrum Knightlore to Amiga, the first beta is available there.

The guy is having a few problems with his amiga port and i have redirected him to our forum.

The blog is http://retroports.blogspot.com, and the entries about the amiga version are the two last.

Enjoy!
Old 04 February 2016, 13:25   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Knightlore was converted also for Atari XL/XE computers few years ago https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ightlore+atari
Old 04 February 2016, 13:40   #3
Aegis
Gentleman

That'd look nice with some extra colours - not a do-over of the graphics since they're great as they are but some shading would be nice (like an improved version of the Amstrad ports):

Something like this maybe?

Last edited by Aegis; 04 February 2016 at 14:44.
Old 04 February 2016, 17:54   #4
IanP

The MSX 2 remake would make a better Amiga port [ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 February 2016, 18:02   #5
Aegis
Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanP View Post
Hmm... I'm not crazy about the graphics for that or their Alien 8 port (since when was Sabreman an old man? And that werewolf...)
Old 04 February 2016, 18:56   #6
IanP

He's depicted as an elderly man with big moustache in later games and artwork.

Anybody had any luck running the port? First try it wanted ixemul.library for some reason and after adding that running the kl file gives "illegal instruction" (running on winuae 68020 AGA).
Old 04 February 2016, 19:52   #7
Aegis
Gentleman

Quote:
He's depicted as an elderly man with big moustache in later games and artwork.
In one game (Pentagram) - in Sabrewulf, Knight Lore and Underwurlde there's no beard (and I've always suspected the beard in Pentagram was false).

And no. The Rare stuff doesn't count
Old 04 February 2016, 20:20   #8
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Even in Gun Fright he is bearded, isn't he?
Old 04 February 2016, 20:25   #9
Aegis
Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Even in Gun Fright he is bearded, isn't he?
That's not Sabreman (nor is it Sabreman in Night Shade) - but no, no beard on the protagonist in Gun Fright (he's pretty much the Knight Lore sprite with a sheriff's badge )
Old 04 February 2016, 21:00   #10
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
nope the best remake is by far the windows port
[ Show youtube player ]
maybe someone can rip gfx from there to make the amiga port
Old 04 February 2016, 21:19   #11
Aegis
Gentleman

Nooo! That's hideous! So drab and dull - the lighting effects are nifty but the graphic re-design's robbed the game of all its character
Old 04 February 2016, 21:27   #12
s2325
Zone Friend

Mazes look like mix of HeroQuest and Cadaver to me. I think Amiga Knight Lore should be closer to Head Over Heels graphics http://hol.abime.net/677/screenshot
Old 04 February 2016, 21:35   #13
Aegis
Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Mazes look like mix of HeroQuest and Cadaver to me. I think Amiga Knight Lore should be closer to Head Over Heels graphics http://hol.abime.net/677/screenshot
Kinda, but the Stampers had their own unique visual style just as Drummond/Ritman had theirs. When it comes to adapting old games I think it's nice if you can retain as much of the original aesthetic as possible (assuming it was any good to begin with).

The black walls cry out to be filled in but that substantially changes the look (as would sticking a floor in there) - even making the scrolls white changes the whole feel of the scene. I like the idea of multicolour sprites to give them more depth but if I was doing this I'd keep their silhouettes pretty much as they are.

What I would want though is some kick-ass original music - presumably a modest graphical overhaul wouldn't tax the Amiga too much so sink everything else into the sound
Old 04 February 2016, 23:36   #14
tcdev

Big grin

Above-mentioned blogger and author of the Knight Lore port checking in here.

Firstly, thanks to SyX for pointing me to this forum!

A bit of background on my Amiga experience - it's pretty much zero. Prior to this effort, which I began about 3 days ago, my last and only attempt to develop anything for the Amiga was an ill-fated remake of Lode Runner in (Manx/Aztec?) C on my Amiga 500 - and that was around 25 years ago!

My Knight Lore port has been possible only because of Google, reading sample code, and reading the various references online. I purposefully kept it "old school" because my last Amiga experience was Workbench 1.3 (although I'm using AmigaOS3.1 on WinUAE), and I also wanted to develop using gcc on the PC. So if the code is horrible, and/or uses antiquated libraries, this is the reason. I'd be happy to be tutored on bringing the design up-to-date however, at this stage, I'm sticking with gcc for other reasons.

As for issues with ixemul.library, all I know is I downloaded and use v48 for the 68020 under WinUAE. To be honest, I have no idea what it does or why it's needed, and I would be happy to do away with it if instructed how.

Comments on the graphics. My goal in porting Knight Lore was to replicate the original experience of the game on the original platform. The C code is a direct translation of the Z80 code to effect (in theory) a 100% accurate port. Aside from the monochrome rendering, the game is pixel-perfect and plays exactly the same (bugs not withstanding).

Having said that, in light of the remakes and ports to other platforms, I have thought about enhanced graphics and it should be possible, within certain constraints, to enhance the graphics on the Amiga port with very little or no changes to the existing code. I particularly like the shading example posted by Aegis above.

I will be releasing the source code within the next few weeks. But first, I'd like to complete the Neo Geo port as it will require changes to the core itself to facilitate hardware sprites. Once that's done it should be relatively easy to port to other platforms, and/or enhance the graphics. FTR I'm using gcc for all platforms and a common makefile and source base.

I am (now) interested in tweaking the Amiga port to get it to a point where it can be released to the general public as a shrink-wrapped playable game, rather than a proof-of-concept which is how I would describe it now. I would also welcome anyone else having a go at enhancing the graphics, and would happily advise/assist in that process. In the mean-time I'll post a few technical questions on this board in the appropriate forums and hopefully get the assistance I need.

Thanks all for your interest!
Old 04 February 2016, 23:55   #15
invent
pixels

Nice work Tcdev and welcome to EAB forum
Old 05 February 2016, 00:15   #16
Leffmann

Is there a download somewhere? I looked at the blog but can't find it.
Old 05 February 2016, 00:25   #17
Amigajay

Good job tcdev! Look forward seeimg what u do next!

@Aegis that looks like the 80s TV program Alf to me!
Old 05 February 2016, 00:53   #18
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
That's beautiful.
Old 05 February 2016, 01:08   #19
tcdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
Is there a download somewhere? I looked at the blog but can't find it.
There's a link in the "Amiga - done and dusted" post but also in the right pane there is the "Project List & Downloads" page.
Old 05 February 2016, 01:29   #20
Aegis
Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcdev
Having said that, in light of the remakes and ports to other platforms, I have thought about enhanced graphics and it should be possible, within certain constraints, to enhance the graphics on the Amiga port with very little or no changes to the existing code. I particularly like the shading example posted by Aegis above.
Thanks! I do have a few ideas on how to subtly enhance the graphics without changing them too much - if you'd like to do an enhanced version then I'm happy to collaborate on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
@Aegis that looks like the 80s TV program Alf to me!
Ha! I see the likeness - I didn't draw it though - I just recoloured the Spectrum original
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Knight_Lore_Spectrum.png
Views:	379
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	47301