English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 August 2022, 13:51   #21
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
One of the key differences is that this game is intended to be primarily multiplayer - you're not battling against an AI opponent, but another human.
pity, it just means if little to few people are playing it then you simply cant play it, really hope some single player AI creeps its way in at some point, tho i understand these competitions all have time limits that make many things harder to implement on this type of complex game.
Old 16 August 2022, 14:04   #22
Daedalus

Indeed, a decent AI player would be nice alright. The reason for it not being in the immediate plan is a lack of time and skills (according to the developer), but given that the results of the jam will be open source, perhaps someone with some AI coding experience could collaborate to add it at a later date.
Old 16 August 2022, 23:08   #23
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
One of the key differences is that this game is intended to be primarily multiplayer - you're not battling against an AI opponent, but another human.
... well there goes my enthusiasm.
Old 06 September 2022, 14:44   #24
TheoTheoderich

Smile

Hello together,
I am the one working on "Settle the World" for the BB-Jam 2022.
As Daedalus said, it is planed a pure multiplayer game.

This is because of the time limit of the BB-Jam.
That is one reason...but the main reason is, that i think that i do not have the skills to write a Computer enemy.

I would be able to create a very simple/basic computer opponent, but i can not find a working BlitzBasic example for Pathfinding.
And without pathfinding it is not possible to create any computer opponent.

I tried to convert a pathfinding algo from BlitzMax (PC), but i am not good enough for this (i did not fully understood what i was doing there). And I do not have the time to learn and understand exactly how the A* algo is working.

Now a short explanation of what "Settle the World" is
"Colonization" and "Civilization" are still my favourite games.
So i decided to create my own Amiga strategy/trading game (i always want to do this, but i did not had the skills).
And the BB-Jam was the perfect event to start with this project.

I am not an experienced coder, my fist game was "Caves&Cargo", which is playable but still far from beeing finished...

In "Settle the World" you start with two ships and some units near the coast of an new continent.
Like in "Colonization" you can build cities, grow/mine raw materials and produce production buildings and units in cities.

The main focus of the game is to trade with another player (with whom you sit together in front of your Amiga).

In the later part of the game you found a simple republic, and the point of the game is to stay in power (get re-elected) longer than your counterpart in his country.

Unlike in "Colonization" there is no european Harbour and no ingame Gold to buy things.
But you can trade with your buddy, but there are no fixed prices, you have to agree among yourselves how much you will give your trading partner for his goods. You can also give nothing and just keep his ship....but that will probably cause arguments.

Example:
You load your caravel with two cargoholds full of fabrics and navigate them to the capital of your opponent. When your ship enters his city you will loose control over your ship as long as it stays in this city.
When it is your oppenents turn, he can unload your fabrics into his city storage. Now he can load your ship with some other goods preferably, of course, such goods that you also need.
After that he can send your ship out of his town, and when it is your turn, you can control the ship again.
Sounds complicated, but it is easy

My game is much more simple than "Colonization" and you can only have ONE unit at a time on a map-tile. That is a little bit annoying, when you have a road and two wagon-trains.
Two units cannot be on the same field at the same time. That means one has to get out of the way.

Another difference to "Colonization" is the way how the city works.
In "Colonization" the colonists/workers are also the inhabitants of a city.
In "Settle the World" every city has inhabitents which are indipendent from the colonists/workers.
Everytime a citys gets a new citizen (when there is enough food in store) you also get a new free colonist which can be used as a worker, pioneer, scout, soldier, etc.

There a three level of prosperity the citizen of a city can have.
- Settlers
- Workers
- Aristocrats

To unlock new and better buildings you need some citizens of higher prosperity classes.
But citizens of higher prosperity classes needs resources every turn and gets unhappy if you can not give them what they demand.

So you have to build better production buildings to produce the goods your citizens demand.

When you have citizens of the workers class for the first time you will be able to found a republic.
From now on there will be an election every few years (every year has 12 game turns).
If your people are very unhappy you can loose the election and the game will end for you.

"Settle the World" is a very lengthy game and due to the size of the map there will be times, where the game is going to be boring i am afraid.
The lategame and endgame is not yet fully thought out and especially not yet built in and tested.

It will be a lot of work until this game will be finished. The game will not be finished with the end of the BB-Jam.
With end of the BB-Jam you can get the full source-code of everything that has been created so far.
But the program code is very simple, because I am not a good programmer.
I will continue working on the game after that jam.

It will be possible to play the game alone in single-player. But it will lack challenges and variety later in the game without any oppenents.
I will insert some very simple native tribes to the game and you can trade with them or attack them. But it will be very basic.

The last three weeks i worked on the game menu and user interface.
The size of the exectuable gamefile is round about 635 kb at the current state of development.

And because I am often asked....
A multiplayer version with LAN-Support is not possible, because i have done this game in BlitzBasic "BLITZ" mode, which turn of the multitasking of the Amiga

Plan is that the game will be possible to play on a Amiga 1200 with some Fast RAM.
Technicaly it runs also on an Amiga 500 with enough RAM (the game has 32 colors), but it makes no fun, because it is to slow.
At the moment you need at least 1 MB CHIP and 1-1.5 MB FAST RAM and a HardDisk.
Perhaps you will need more memory later, because at the moment the game did not has any music and only three sound-effects....i started the code for the sound yesterday ;-)

I hope I could answer some questions
A downloadable test version will be (hopefuly) available with the end of the BB-Jam at the end of October

(...sorry for my bad english...it is not my native language)

Last edited by TheoTheoderich; 06 September 2022 at 17:33.
Old 06 September 2022, 15:39   #25
amigoun

Looks amazing, well done.
What about serial port multiplayer, do you think it could be done?
Old 06 September 2022, 17:05   #26
TheoTheoderich

I think that could be done....but first the game needs to be full playable
Old 08 September 2022, 10:42   #27
TheoTheoderich

I have now spent the last few weeks giving the game a "user environment".
A menu, map generation, and some overview screens.
This was a huge job and is still not completely bug-free.
But it was necessary.

Here are the links to the YouTube videos I made. Some of them contain subtitles with short explanations.

Please give me feedback, how you like the menu, etc. Visual appearance/structure. I am grateful for any feedback

Part 1
- is about a first look on the new main menu.
- Credits
- Help
- Game Options
[ Show youtube player ]

Part 2 - is about how to create a new game (in basic mode)
[ Show youtube player ]

Part 3 - is about how to load a saved game
[ Show youtube player ]

Part 4 - is about the reworked world map and saving the game
[ Show youtube player ]

Part 5 - is about the first overview screens
- Stock of goods in the cities
- Production and progress of production in the cities
- Locations and cargo loads of all trading units
- Cities with unassigned colonists
- more to come...
[ Show youtube player ]

Part 6 - is about creating a new game in expert mode
- Playing around with the map generation tool
- For this video i used the WinUAE JIT for full processor power to have some fun during the map generation without having to wait.
[ Show youtube player ]

Old 08 September 2022, 12:24   #28
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I have to ask: what is the reason for you creating this? What is your goal? It can't be the BB-Jam, this game is made too big for that to be the reason.
Old 08 September 2022, 13:32   #29
TheoTheoderich

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I have to ask: what is the reason for you creating this? What is your goal? It can't be the BB-Jam, this game is made too big for that to be the reason.

You are right.

The reason is not the BB-Jam. The game will not be finished until the end of the contest.

But the BB-Jam was an important motivation to start this project.
I always wanted to create my "own" turn based trading game that i could play with my son.

My problem is, that i started many projects in the last 20 years (on the PC with BlitzBasic/BlitzMax), but never finished any of this projects.

So for me the BB-Jam is some kind of "control authority" that ensures that I stay motivated and push the game project forward

I want to finish a game project at least for one time in my life
Old 08 September 2022, 16:42   #30
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoTheoderich View Post
I always wanted to create my "own" turn based trading game that i could play with my son.
As far as reasons go, that's a pretty good one.
Old 08 September 2022, 20:07   #31
jcgeuze

I would buy this game
Old 11 September 2022, 18:11   #32
Overmann

This is the most excited I've been for an Amiga-game in a VERY long time. This looks fantastic!
Old 19 September 2022, 15:52   #33
Paulthetall

This looks totally awesome. Kudos for the developers. Their main goal for multiplayer is something which Colonization/civilization missed. Would be great of course if single player/CPU opponent can be added after all.
Old 21 September 2022, 20:49   #34
TheoTheoderich

Yesterday my son and i were struggeling with the unit movement into and out of cities.
Sometimes two units had been on a city tile at the same time.

This caused one of the units to disappear. Very annoying.
So today i had to fix this.....

[ Show youtube player ]

"Would be great of course if single player/CPU opponent can be added after all. "
You can play in Single Player but if it is not much fun, because there are few challenges and the discussions and conversations with the other player about the right exchange prices for goods are gone.

Last edited by TheoTheoderich; 21 September 2022 at 20:56.
Old 22 September 2022, 17:36   #35
TheoTheoderich

Had to optimize the pathfinding last night.
Much better now, but still have some problems if the way is blocked by other units.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 September 2022, 17:44   #36
DisasterIncarna

love the updates nice to see it improving more and more.
Old 22 September 2022, 17:59   #37
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I really like the style of the game. It's like a hybrid between Civilization and Colonization
Old 25 September 2022, 18:12   #38
stobros

Looks beautiful and interesting.
Old 04 October 2022, 23:32   #39
TheoTheoderich

Patrick Nevian (viddi) made the title-music for "Settle the World" and i really like it

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by TheoTheoderich; 05 October 2022 at 02:17.
Old 05 October 2022, 00:23   #40
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Lovely! Great work so far guys!