English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 26 July 2021, 12:51   #141
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
No CPU blitting.
Put simply if you only have Chip RAM, the CPU and the blitter (plus other systems) are all competing to access the same RAM, leading to CPU delays.
With Fast RAM, the CPU can get on with doing something else whilst the blitter is doing all those 8 bitplane blits. (and remember that the blitter is the same speed on the A1200 as the A500 - meaning we have to blit twice the amount of data as the original Turrican).
PC version has CPU's system memory and discrete VGA's video memory.
Old 26 July 2021, 18:47   #142
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I... don't really understand why you post that as a response to the quoted text.
Old 13 August 2021, 09:46   #143
stefl0n

On my A1200 with Blizzard1230 (68030/32MB) the dev version 2 works quite well

I've got 2 finetuning hints for you for the physics/gravity though: The player is jumping slightly too high und is falling too fast.
E.g. in Level 1-1 the plattform left of the waterfall "bridge" section should NOT be reachable by a jump (green = original game, red = T2AGA)
And in Level 1-2 on the far right side of the level the player is falling too fast (red). The plattform above the staues hand should be reachable by pulling the joystick to the right constantly while falling down (green)

But over all: You're doing a great job here! Thanks for your efford. I can't wait to play the next dev version and the finished game once it's done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t2real.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	72859   Click image for larger version

Name:	t2real11.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	72860   Click image for larger version

Name:	t2real12.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	72861  
Old 14 August 2021, 07:00   #144
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefl0n View Post
On my A1200 with Blizzard1230 (68030/32MB) the dev version 2 works quite well

I've got 2 finetuning hints for you for the physics/gravity though: The player is jumping slightly too high und is falling too fast.
E.g. in Level 1-1 the plattform left of the waterfall "bridge" section should NOT be reachable by a jump (green = original game, red = T2AGA)
And in Level 1-2 on the far right side of the level the player is falling too fast (red). The plattform above the staues hand should be reachable by pulling the joystick to the right constantly while falling down (green)

But over all: You're doing a great job here! Thanks for your efford. I can't wait to play the next dev version and the finished game once it's done.

Thanks for the feedback. I had noticed the second example where you can't reach the top of the 'statues' hands although I wasn't 100% sure whether there are differences in the PC-DOS version here. Sometimes it is hard to compare, there is no trainer for the DOS version, so you can't easily skip levels to test things, also the only full play-through on YouTube was recorded in a way that felt more like a speed-run. They demolish enemies before you can even observe their behaviour.
You can still climb that statue by jumping up the winder by the way.

There are other parts I've found where they changed the map between the AMIGA/PC versions in such a way that it would be impossible to get through, I had to really reduce the collision area of the hero to stop him getting stuck.
Old 28 August 2021, 09:16   #145
Muzza

So I've skipped world 2 for now and have the first level of world 3 working. This is the first spaceship level.

There have been some negative comments about the look of these levels on the MS-DOS version. Personally I think the enemies and foreground look good, but background parallax layer is ugly. The colour scheme is drab and the images uninteresting.

I have a perfect copy of the PC-DOS version working on the Amiga, but I thought I'd play with some colours to see if the background could look better. I'm not an artist, so I haven't changed any of the image data, just the palette. In an ideal world the images would be improved too.

Anyway, here are screenshots of:
A) Original Amiga version
B) PC-DOS version
C) My AGA version with the palette changed to be closer to the Amiga.

Any thoughts if it is better or worse?

Name:	T2SpaceOrig.png
Views:	393
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	73021

Name:	T2SpaceDos.png
Views:	375
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	73022

Name:	T2SpaceNew.png
Views:	381
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	73023
Old 28 August 2021, 11:56   #146
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Use the new palette while keeping the space ship of the original Amiga version!
Old 28 August 2021, 12:21   #147
apex

Like it!
Old 28 August 2021, 13:34   #148
Gzegzolka

I like both versions, definitely would love to see something between amiga/pc version.
Old 28 August 2021, 15:10   #149
Mixel

That palette fix is great. that’s the sort of minor change I don’t mind at all, it still feels like an accurate port of the pc version just “correcting” a very silly minor detail.
Old 28 August 2021, 17:03   #150
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Palette fix is great !
Old 28 August 2021, 19:17   #151
Zarnal

I prefer the B ( original PC-MSDOS ) because it seems more adapted.
Old 28 August 2021, 19:19   #152
VincentGR

B as the title says, dos port.
Old 28 August 2021, 22:54   #153
AMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarnal View Post
I prefer the B ( original PC-MSDOS ) because it seems more adapted.
Same here
Old 28 August 2021, 23:22   #154
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Judging on a single screenshot like this is not easy if you never have played the PC version.
Therefore I vote for 'B' to keep original PC colours.
Old 29 August 2021, 03:52   #155
Muzza

I've uploaded builds of both versions (the zip file contains two ADFs) both to the Zone and to dropbox. Now you can see them in motion.

Some of the enemy behaviour still needs work, and the player still can't take damage, but it is mostly feature complete. These builds contain this single spaceship level only.

I don't feel any requirement to be 100% faithful to the MS-DOS version, especially in areas where the Amiga could do better. But I am conflicted between feeling that the original grey version fits the overall style better, versus the blue version just looking more vibrant, and standing out more against the foreground.

A good artist could probably pick a colour scheme and redo the background sprites to be a big improvement over both versions. This level actually uses a lot less colours than the first world so I'm running in 7 bitplanes instead of 8. The good thing about this is that the reduced blitter pressure compensates for the added cost of the parallax. But even with 7 bitplanes, there are 27 colours unused for enemies/foreground, and the parallax layer uses 15 very similar colours (lots of dark greys), so like I say, lots of room for improvement.

EDIT: One thing I forgot is that I was planning to make the red center line pulse in the 'blue version'. I just haven't done it yet.

Last edited by Muzza; 29 August 2021 at 04:14.
Old 29 August 2021, 04:12   #156
Muzza

Something I thought was interesting is that I took a look at the original Amiga versions handling of the parallax on this level. Now, I'm not a forensic expert at using WinUAE, but it looked to me like they are not using either Sprites or Dual Playfield.

The foreground uses 4 bitplanes/16 colours, and the background parallax only appears in bitplanes 1 and 3 so is 4 colour (plus copper colour changes). I would guess this means that sections of the foreground or background have to be redrawn every frame (but only in 2 bitplanes).
Old 29 August 2021, 08:02   #157
logo

Despite I prefer the blue one, the grey background matches better with the grey foreground. To my eyes, things seem less flat on the foreground (with the grey one).
Old 29 August 2021, 09:00   #158
Lisko

Both versions are nice, but I prefer the B pc-dos style too or do it in both ways and then make it user switchable if it doesn't take much time.
Old 29 August 2021, 10:33   #159
wairnair

I prefer the grey one, although both are good. And more importantly, the whole thing plays butter smooth! I have my fingers crossed for a finished product here, pls keep it up
Old 29 August 2021, 11:22   #160
zzbylu
Saberman

World3 - small gameplay (blue/grey):
[ Show youtube player ]