IGNORED

Towering Inferno for the Intellivision

Kiwi

NEWEST POST/ROM:

10/2:

I added a boss to the final floor of the tower. And drew a new tileset to use up less GRAM and to be use for the boss's graphic. I slowed the fire animation speed to 15fps, so I can redefine the boss's graphic every 4 frames. So that leaves "define alternative" for the survivor's animation for future planning. Right now I am at 46KB/83KB maximum. So I want to get the other towers made before adding more animation to the survivor. And getting harder for me to tell which mapping is getting full.

And the funny thing when I was testing the multiplexing with the boss's sprite. I after I killed the Flame enemies, they were not able to be killed again after they been spawned. Earlier in production, I would turn off the interactive bit after they been killed. So the extinguish animation object wouldn't get picked up by the hardware collision detection as a hit. So I ported the spawn object routine from my previous project to this one. Guess I forgot to do. Yup, forgot to set the interactive bit to 1. I was going crazy and thinking I ran out of cpu cycles and missing the hardware collision thingy. Fortuanately, the game engine runs smoothly at 30fps.

Here's the youtube video with the disappearing sprites because the video is converted from 60 to 30 fps. And the helicopter routine with frozen chopper blade. I could not use GROM $CC, :_( . Nostagia lets me use the GROM $CC as sprites, but Jzintv and the Intellivision Master Component unit denied my usage. So I made the blade to be loaded into GRAM and it works. 7 MOBs for that helicopter.

Latest ROM:FIv33.rom

9/30:
I added sound effects, 13 sounds so far. And added another level since an idea just struck my head.

Here's version 0.31:FIv31.rom

There's a low quality sound test menu accessible from the title screen. So you can point out what sound effects doesn't work well and can give suggest what needed to be changed. I'm using sound 1 for tone/volume, and sound 2 noise only volume. I also added selection to start level 1. So you can jump in immediately and forfeit the points you could have earned in the Tutorial level.

Here's a youtube video of the game since Gifeo can't do sounds:

I haven't tried the latest ROM on the Intellivision but it works fine in Nostagia and Jzintv.

9/28:

Here's version 0.3 of Towering Inferno code name, Fiery Inferno. I added lots of animation frames to the main character's death animation, 18 frames, with side, front and back graphic. I also added smoother waterbar. Define alternate really helps with this, so I don't have to use a wait statement and freed up 1 GRAM card to be the fourth ground tile. I have 1 just regular define statement in reserved for the first wait. 2nd wait loop define the MOB animation for the sprites, and define alternate to redefine the fire tile. The fire tiles, and the fire mob now animates in 6 frames rather the old 1980s way 2 or 3 animation frames. The water meter cards and the death animation cards been filled up the $4800-4fff segment. I don't this game will work with ECS if this segment is mapped.

I added 4F and 5F.

New Gifeo runs at 30fps to show off the animation and level 4 and 5: post-24767-0-96506200-1475117107_thumb.gif
Level 5 have 4 random place where the key will be at.

New ROM 0.3: FIv3.rom

The tutorial area, the text can be advance quicker by pushing any button, or left alone and it'll flip to the next message in 4.14 seconds.

OLDER POSTS/ROM:
I was making a top down type game, Venture, for the Intellivision. Then saw the clip of Tower Inferno for the Atari 2600 on Facebook. Hey, I could make that type of game instead of trying to recreate Venture. So I converted the engine over to make this game.

click to animate post-24767-0-67820000-1474783210_thumb.gif

Just recent I added 2 more flame sprites on to the scene of 4 sprites. It cause a slow down, yay!! They are bounded by the software collision detection like your player sprite is. Killing them should speed up the game.

Pretty much put out all the flame to get the 100 points bonus. Don't run out of water. A T tank will restore your water by 25%.

old version 0.1: FI.rom

There's no game over and only has 1 level. I do plan to add more level once I get some sleep.

You can also use the keypad to spray water in specific direction like in AD&D Cloudy Mountain(you could use that overlay with this game as well). Just can't pick up item, count arrow or climb down a ladder. Keypad 0 just randomize the enemies' movement as a debug.

9-26:

You can try the new version, 0.2:FIv02.rom

I added a training room level at the fire station to try to explain the mechanic by the limited amount of GRAM cards.

I added 2 levels after the 1st one from the first demo.

The character can now face in 4 directions, but still fires in 8 direction.

And you can still play this game while your kids are sleeping, unless the clicking sound from the controller wakes them up. I really need to figure out how to make good noise sound effect using the noise channel. Sounds are still on my TODO's li- wait this is nanochess's list opps um.. here it is, yup still on my todo's list.

Next version would be more focused on the enemies and boss types. Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 12

Very nice. It looks great. I remember watching "The Towering Inferno" as a kid. Found it quite scary. This aspect would help if you made some gross out moments like people getting burned alive and courpses lying around more like an apocalypse.

one typo: suriver is spelled survivor

I was making a top down type game, Venture, for the Intellivision. Then saw the clip of Tower Inferno for the Atari 2600 on Facebook. Hey, I could make that type of game instead of trying to recreate Venture. So I converted the engine over to make this game.

click to animate attachicon.gifTowerInfInt.gif

Just recent I added 2 more flame sprites on to the scene of 4 sprites. It cause a slow down, yay!! They are bounded by the software collision detection like your player sprite is. Killing them should speed up the game.

Pretty much put out all the flame to get the 100 points bonus. Don't run out of water. A T tank will restore your water by 25%.

You can try it out, attachicon.gifFI.rom

There's no game over and only has 1 level. I do plan to add more level once I get some sleep.

You can also use the keypad to spray water in specific direction like in AD&D Cloudy Mountain(you could use that overlay with this game as well). Just can't pick up item, count arrow or climb down a ladder. Keypad 0 just randomize the enemies' movement as a debug.

• Like 1

Cool! It's pretty playable for an early prototype version!

I like the animation sequence for flames blowing up! The game is pretty easy to understand.

Here are some random notes and first impressions:

1. Why is the screen filled with storm trooper helmets?

2. I know that technically blue is the hottest flame color, but I interpreted it as water to pick up. To me yellow and orange and red look hot, but blue looks cool (temperaturewise).

3. If you run out of water there is nothing you can do.

4. It's great that I can play it late at night without disturbing my neighbors, but some sound effects would be nice... (I'm sure this is "on the list" of things to do...)

5. I have fond memories of the Fairchild Channel F, and the end of level transition reminds me of that machine. However, I would prefer a faster transition...

Looking forward to level 2...

Catsfolly

Edited by catsfolly
  • Like 1

Cool! It's pretty playable for an early prototype version!

I like the animation sequence for flames blowing up! The game is pretty easy to understand.

Here are some random notes and first impressions:

1. Why is the screen filled with storm trooper helmets?

They are wooden boxes and tried to make the brown being a shadow instead of a square with an X in it. I will probably redraw them.

2. I know that technically blue is the hottest flame color, but I interpreted it as water to pick up. To me yellow and orange and red look hot, but blue looks cool (temperaturewise).

I wanted to make it a strategy that you had to conserved water, so having hot blue flame will drain your water tank a bit faster.

3. If you run out of water there is nothing you can do.

Run into flame to start over if you didn't clear a path to the survivor. There's a blue T that represent water tank to collect to regain water and get 10 points. So I wouldn't collect it until you clear a path or ran out of water.

4. It's great that I can play it late at night without disturbing my neighbors, but some sound effects would be nice... (I'm sure this is "on the list" of things to do...)

It is on my TODO list

5. I have fond memories of the Fairchild Channel F, and the end of level transition reminds me of that machine. However, I would prefer a faster transition...

Partly it is a debug to tell me where it is scanning the screen and didn't want it to check the HUD for the TileID for the fire tile. The HUD number could be tileID 23 so I had to make sure to scan the screen before the text is on screen too. I left it in since it looked cool.

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 1

Off to a good start with this one. How about making a version with he rooms generated by a procedural algorithm? If you display the room generation seed (and also allow the same seed to be entered manually) at the start of the game, people can battle against the same towers and play a "new version" of the game every time.

• Like 2

A few more comments:

• Sliding against walls e.g. pressing diagonal when up against a wall is always jerky and sometimes doesn't work. Allowing the player not to hit true NSEW compass directions in order to get out of trouble would be a boon in this kind of game.
  • Vertical movement is way too quick. You can easily get into trouble with a quick press in the direction you want to go in.
  • Sound effects are required :P.
  • The screen fill at the end of the level is a nice touch, but it needs jazzing up a bit. How about filling the screen with water from the bottom instead? The very top of the water could ripple like a wave.
  • It needs a balancing out mechanism so that when water runs out you have to do something. How about introducing a mini game where you have to do a task like fixing a leak in the pipe or turn taps in a certain order/direction to get what you want. Check out Ranarama's mini game where you have to rearrange the letters in RANARAMA in a certain time, in order to win a warlock battle . Its a simple but effective mini game. If the player takes too long in your mini game's task then add more flames to the level to penalise them a bit. As the levels progress, increase the number of flames or add flames that need more water hits to put out - each time the mini game is won/lost.
  • Like 1

9-26:

You can try the new version, 0.2:FIv02.rom

I added a training room level at the fire station to try to explain the mechanic by the limited amount of GRAM cards.

The character can now face in 4 directions, but still fires in 8 direction.

And you can still play this game while your kids are sleeping, unless the clicking sound from the controller wakes them up. I really need to figure out how to make good noise sound effect using the noise channel. Sounds are still on my TODO's li- wait this is nanochess's list opps um.. here it is, yup still on my todo's list.

Next version would be more focused on the enemies and boss types.

==============================

New gif:post-24767-0-75147500-1474936337_thumb.gif

Off to a good start with this one. How about making a version with he rooms generated by a procedural algorithm? If you display the room generation seed (and also allow the same seed to be entered manually) at the start of the game, people can battle against the same towers and play a "new version" of the game every time.

For now, my goal to make at least 4-10 rooms per tower. Maybe 5 towers.

Sliding against walls e.g. pressing diagonal when up against a wall is always jerky and sometimes doesn't work. Allowing the player not to hit true NSEW compass directions in order to get out of trouble would be a boon in this kind of game.

Yeah, when your character touch a solid tile, it restores it last previous position. I wanted to keep the subpixel position.

Vertical movement is way too quick. You can easily get into trouble with a quick press in the direction you want to go in.

The new version might have slower movement, I did change the movement speed.

Sound effects are required :P.

Yes! Will have it!!! Gotta wake up the entire neighborhood with my loud buzzing sound effect! :D

The screen fill at the end of the level is a nice touch, but it needs jazzing up a bit. How about filling the screen with water from the bottom instead? The very top of the water could ripple like a wave.

That's a good idea! I'll have to figure out how to do that with the limited amount of gram card I have left.

It needs a balancing out mechanism so that when water runs out you have to do something. How about introducing a mini game where you have to do a task like fixing a leak in the pipe or turn taps in a certain order/direction to get what you want. Check out Ranarama's mini game where you have to rearrange the letters in RANARAMA in a certain time, in order to win a warlock battle . Its a simple but effective mini game. If the player takes too long in your mini game's task then add more flames to the level to penalise them a bit. As the levels progress, increase the number of flames or add flames that need more water hits to put out - each time the mini game is won/lost.

I would have to save the screen's content to RAM in order to put a minigame in. For right now, you can collect the blue T tanks or run through the flames with the remaining helmet you have in possess to get to the survivor and leave the building. I probably will figure out how to save the screen's content if I want to have multiple of rooms on one floor.

Thank you for your comments.

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 2

The survivor looks a bit odd to me. Perhaps if (s)he was animated and looking around for help it might look better.

Looks good, I haven't had time to play the new version yet.

For now, my goal to make at least 4-10 rooms per tower. Maybe 5 towers.

Sounds good. I'd still like to see some kind of procedural generation (maybe as a game option) because the rooms are going to be quite condensed to fit in with the Inty limitations.

Yeah, when your character touch a solid tile, it restores it last previous position. I wanted to keep the subpixel position.

If you check before you move, then you don't need to restore. This might get a bit more complex with diagonals because you'd need to check a corner around you e.g. for up right, you'd check right, up and then the tile at up/right to determine the direction to move in.

That's a good idea! I'll have to figure out how to do that with the limited amount of gram card I have left.

You'd need 1 free GRAM card. PErhaps use the water card and reprogram it on the fly as needed.

I would have to save the screen's content to RAM in order to put a minigame in. For right now, you can collect the blue T tanks or run through the flames with the remaining helmet you have in possess to get to the survivor and leave the building. I probably will figure out how to save the screen's content if I want to have multiple of rooms on one floor.

Cart PCBs with RAM are readily available so you can make the game do anything you want.

Thank you for your comments.

No problem!

• Like 1

I just played it and have some feedback, which I hope is useful:

• The colour scheme and graphics chosen are a bit confusing. It took me a few tries bumping against background features to learn whether they were "wall" or "power-ups." Some of them are obvious, like the Fireman's helmet, but some of them are not.
  • The survivor was especially hard to discern. Even though I know what to look for now, I still can't make out his form. I only figured out the survivor from watching the posted video a few times, trying to understand why it said, "you escaped with the survivor!"
  • It seems that there are enough MOBs left for you to add more detail to the fireman, the survivor, or both.
  • The controls could use some damping to make them more accurate. They feel too "raw," in that you must tap the disc (or keyboard key) ever so slightly in order to position your Fireman accurately. If you need help with implementing control damping, just ask. :)
  • Collisions with walls occurs purely on the center of the sprite, which is weird. It leads the player to position his sprite in a way that is misaligned with other objects and unable to hit anything with his firehose. The lack of damping makes this even worse, requiring frustratingly small adjustments in order to align yourself. I would suggest not letting the sprites move through walls at all (or at least no more than one or two pixels).
  • The partial-wall-collision leads to confusion when there are gaps in the layout that appear to allow passage, but do not. For example this:
    • post-27318-0-88139100-1474974896_thumb.gif
  • The points counter should increment by 10s or 20s in order to go faster when awarding the bonus. Waiting for it to count up to 100 points, one at a time, is not very interesting.
  • After playing a few times, I finally noticed that there are "hints" around the first screen telling you what the items are and what to do. However, that sort of shows that they are not very noticeable, and some of them are even hard to read or understand. If you want to treat the first level as a "tutorial" (which is a very good idea), I would recommend making those signs a bit larger and easier to read. Perhaps it would help if you just "pop up" one of them as the player gets near the area, using the remaining MOBs, and flash it with colour to make them obvious.
    • post-27318-0-98840500-1474975331_thumb.gif
  • About the only "hint" I saw clearly (which was very helpful) was the "Exit" sign. I strongly suggest you make this one appear on every level, since it seems it fits good with the game mechanics, as opposed to being just a "hint." On my first few plays, on the second level, I almost missed the exit because I was looking for that sign.
  • Flashing the border on "Game Over" is a good idea. However, be aware that the border only shows on three sides only, since you have the "border extension" (used for scrolling) turned off. This is a bit awkward. There are two ways around this:
    • Add the border extension and lose two columns from the layout (for border)
    • Offset slightly the play-field horizontally in order to add a bit of "border" on the left side; but lose one column of the layout. (This is what I do in Christmas Carol to center the play-field).
  • I know it's a "retro" game, but it's the 21st Century and we have many resources at our disposal: there is no real reason to use two-frame animations for anything. A smoother, more natural, better looking fire animation would go a long way to give this game a very nice shine. :) I once found a tutorial on how to make a realistically 8-bit fire animation sequence, which I used to create the Christmas Carol "torch" animation below. I can try to look for the tutorial or share my own graphics if you are interested.
  • And of course, NEED MOAR SOUND EFEX!

Overall, a nice and interesting game concept with great potential. :thumbsup: Keep it up!

-dZ.

• Like 2

post-24767-0-85681300-1474996024_thumb.gif

I added messages when you pick up items and play with the fires. I might add Navi the patronizing firefly sprite into this tutorial section. I switch to colorstack mode to give the player hint that they should look on the top of the screen to read the message, or I just wanted to use the lowercase letters. :ponder:

I will work on redrawing the fire to use more frames I've set up the game loop to use 2 wait statement. Define statement only works once a frame. First wait is to upload flame to the fire tile graphic. So enemy redefinition animation frames will be done at the 2nd wait statement. While the enemies' death frame will be left in the non redefinition part of the GRAM.

• Like 2

attachicon.gifTItutorial.gif

I added messages when you pick up items and play with the fires. I might add Navi the patronizing firefly sprite into this tutorial section. I switch to colorstack mode to give the player hint that they should look on the top of the screen to read the message, or I just wanted to use the lowercase letters. :ponder:

I will work on redrawing the fire to use more frames I've set up the game loop to use 2 wait statement. Define statement only works once a frame. First wait is to upload flame to the fire tile graphic. So enemy redefinition animation frames will be done at the 2nd wait statement. While the enemies' death frame will be left in the non redefinition part of the GRAM.

Well, technically the "survivor" isn't a survivor until after you get them out, maybe "victim" or "civilian" would be better

You can use define twice, technically

Define 0,3,The3CardsNeedingUpdate
Define Alternate 32,2,The2OtherCardsNeedingUpdate 
Wait
Another way is to define it such that the things to be animated are contiguous (here is a really rough example of 8 different animated critters at once with 8 frames of animation)
'Define bitmaps for first frame of each critter
Critter1a:
Bitmap...
Critter2a:
Critter8a:

'Define next frame
Critter1b:
Bitmap...
Critter2b:
Critter8b:
bitmap...

'Set the first set
Define 0,8,Critter1a:
Wait

CritterFrame=0
'Then in a loop

CritterFrame=CritterFrame+1:If CritterFrame>7 then CritterFrame=0

On CritterFrame Gosub UpdateCritter1,UpdateCritter2,UpdateCritter3,UpdateCritter4,..UpdateCritter7

Then
UpdateCritter1:Procedure
Define 0,8,Critter1a
End

UpdateCritter2:Procedure
Define 0,8,Critter1b
End

UpdateCritter8:Procedure
Define 0,8,Critter1h
End
I left the WAIT out of each Update procedure since WAIT should just be called once in the game loop
Of course the effectiveness of above would depend one how much other code is running in your game loop

• Like 2

First, the use of "survivor" is correct. He is a survivor for as long as he is alive: from the moment the catastrophe hits, all through the escape, until the time he dies.

Second, I really like the tutorial. :thumbsup:

Personally, I would recommend pacing the text a bit better. Some parts go away too fast. Also, I would suggest you split the text by full sentences or complete contextual sections. For instance, it is strange and disturbing to have to wait mid-sentence for the rest of something like

"Keys unlock doors. Use keys to..."

(What? To what??????)

"To open rooms."

It may help to be very succinct in the instructions and avoid verbosity. :)

dZ.

First, the use of "survivor" is correct. He is a survivor for as long as he is alive: from the moment the catastrophe hits, all through the escape, until the time he dies.

Second, I really like the tutorial. :thumbsup:

Personally, I would recommend pacing the text a bit better. Some parts go away too fast. Also, I would suggest you split the text by full sentences or complete contextual sections. For instance, it is strange and disturbing to have to wait mid-sentence for the rest of something like

"Keys unlock doors. Use keys to..."

(What? To what??????)

"To open rooms."

It may help to be very succinct in the instructions and avoid verbosity. :)

dZ.

While survivor may be grammatically correct by your references, it sounds weird in this case where the individual is in peril.

The survivor term is generally given after whatever life threatening event is complete.

You wouldn't yell "I'm a survivor of this plane crash!" as you watch the wings fall off at 20,000 feet. I'm sure several people would ensure you weren't, even before you hit the ground.

Person 1: "I'm a cancer survivor"

Person 2:"That's great! When was your last treatment?"

Person 1:"Oh, I'm still undergoing treatment."

Person 2:"Then you are surviving cancer so far, but you haven't survived it yet."

The English language is a bastardized soup of many languages...now I'm off to share a fag with my gay aunt Celia while we argue about how cool her new fridge is.

Edited by Tarzilla

While survivor may be grammatically correct by your references, it sounds weird in this case where the individual is in peril.

Oh, but you do. Firefighters go into burning buildings to rescue survivors (even though they are still in peril). The Coast Guard goes into deep sea to rescue the sinking ship survivors (even though they are still floating in the middle of the sea). The first responders must rescue the survivors of a collapsed mine stuck underground (even though they are suffocating, suffering injuries, and running out of oxygen).

It's not just grammatically correct, it's contextually correct. They are survivors of some initial calamity (the building explosion, the sinking ship, the collapsing mine), now they are waiting to get rescued. They are, essentially, survivors in contrast to all the dead bodies either burning or floating around them -- they are the ones that must be rescued.

The Oxford Dictionary defines survivor as:

• a person who survives, especially a person remaining alive after an event in which others have died.
  • the remainder of a group of people or things.
  • a person who copes well with difficulties in their life.

The point in this context is to contrast the person against those who are dead and need no rescuing, just like definition #1 above. This is how it is used in rescue situations.

Here are some headlines:

Notice that in all cases, the people are still in peril awaiting certain death if not rescued. They just happen to have survived the initial ordeal that caused massive deaths around them.
It's not my game, so Kiwi can call it whatever he wants. I just wanted to point out that it is a perfectly adequate term to call him a survivor -- the person is still alive amidst a terrible calamity where presumably others have died, and because he is still alive (i.e., he has survived), he must be rescued.
-dZ.

I will work on redrawing the fire to use more frames I've set up the game loop to use 2 wait statement.

The tutorial I used to animate fire is no longer available and the Way Back Machine (Archive.org) archive does not include the images. Fortunately, I saved a local copy, but it is in Safari's "Web Archive" format. Below I include it in both, "Web Archive" and "PDF" format for reference.

post-27318-0-72171600-1475060443_thumb.gif <- click to animate

-dZ.

• Like 4

On the survivor stuff. I had to think on what to call them. At least they aren't hostage. Victim may be good, but survivor is the word I chose that makes the most sense.

I'll look at the fire tutorial. I used,

stock-vector-flame-animation-fire-animat

For the moving fires, 6 frames, which is in the current build I have. I'm going to change the tile fires to use 6 frames of animation after work. I'll upload the updated ROM tonight or tomorrow.

Oh, but you do. Firefighters go into burning buildings to rescue survivors (even though they are still in peril). The Coast Guard goes into deep sea to rescue the sinking ship survivors (even though they are still floating in the middle of the sea). The first responders must rescue the survivors of a collapsed mine stuck underground (even though they are suffocating, suffering injuries, and running out of oxygen).

It's not just grammatically correct, it's contextually correct. They are survivors of some initial calamity (the building explosion, the sinking ship, the collapsing mine), now they are waiting to get rescued. They are, essentially, survivors in contrast to all the dead bodies either burning or floating around them -- they are the ones that must be rescued.

The Oxford Dictionary defines survivor as:

• a person who survives, especially a person remaining alive after an event in which others have died.
  • the remainder of a group of people or things.
  • a person who copes well with difficulties in their life.

The point in this context is to contrast the person against those who are dead and need no rescuing, just like definition #1 above. This is how it is used in rescue situations.

Here are some headlines:

Notice that in all cases, the people are still in peril awaiting certain death if not rescued. They just happen to have survived the initial ordeal that caused massive deaths around them.
It's not my game, so Kiwi can call it whatever he wants. I just wanted to point out that it is a perfectly adequate term to call him a survivor -- the person is still alive amidst a terrible calamity where presumably others have died, and because he is still alive (i.e., he has survived), he must be rescued.
-dZ.

I talked to the organizing committee, they have renamed the award to "The Pedantic Procrastinator of the Year" award... :-D

I talked to the organizing committee, they have renamed the award to "The Pedantic Procrastinator of the Year" award... :-D

Oh, I see: me supporting my point with references is pedantic, but you arguing without evidence, is clever. Alright, I'll take that award. :)

dZ.

Here's version 0.3 of Towering Inferno code name, Fiery Inferno. I added lots of animation frames to the main character's death animation, 18 frames, with side, front and back graphic. I also added smoother waterbar. Define alternate really helps with this, so I don't have to use a wait statement and freed up 1 GRAM card to be the fourth ground tile. I have 1 just regular define statement in reserved for the first wait. 2nd wait loop define the MOB animation for the sprites, and define alternate to redefine the fire tile. The fire tiles, and the fire mob now animates in 6 frames rather the old 1980s way 2 or 3 animation frames. The water meter cards and the death animation cards been filled up the $4800-4fff segment. I don't this game will work with ECS if this segment is mapped.

I added 4F and 5F.

New Gifeo runs at 30fps to show off the animation and level 4 and 5: post-24767-0-96506200-1475117107_thumb.gif

Level 5 have 4 random place where the key will be at.

New ROM 0.3: FIv3.rom

The tutorial area, the text can be advance quicker by pushing any button, or left alone and it'll flip to the next message in 4.14 seconds.

Still no sounds, so you won't wake up your pets and make them go berserk while playing this game. I'll probably work on sounds tomorrow and learn more about the noise channel. And more sprite enemies and AI. Eventually boss battle to defeat and go on to the next area.

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 3

It is getting much, much better! Here's some feedback:

• The death animation of the fireman took me by surprise and it was really good! :thumbsup:
  • The new animation for the fire tiles is much better, but it looks a bit strange when all of them animate in unison. I would recommend having different tiles animate at either different rates or at different offsets of the sequence, just to give it variety. Maybe also slow down the animation rate to allow the player to enjoy it better.
  • For some reason, the controls and movement feel a bit sluggish this time around -- especially when shooting water, there is some sort of strange glitch when you are close to the fire flames.
  • The tutorial is good. However, when I touch one of the special items and leave the disc pressed (as if to continue moving), the tutorial text skips ahead inadvertently and I miss what it was trying to say. Perhaps you should wait a bit, or wait for a full disc release, before letting the player skip ahead with a tap of the disc.
  • (I just played again and walked into the fire during the tutorial and it rebuked me! That was kinda funny.)
  • After completing the first level (tutorial), the white text appears on the green field, but the letters have a black tile background. This is in contrast to the other levels, where the white text is fully on a green background (also, it does not look good).
  • I agree with GroovyBee that the moving fire flames shouldn't touch the Survivor, otherwise he won't be surviving much longer! :lol:
  • (In some of the levels, there are some blocks on the wall that I can shoot with water and they turn into holes. What are those for?)
  • I still think the background colours and layout look too much like "programmer art" and make the screen a bit too busy.

Other than that, it's looking very good. You know, the combination of a little action with some puzzle solving, and the variety of challenges provided on each level, make this game a good representative of the "Adventure" genre. It feels somewhat what I would have expected Kroz to be. The added wit in the comments and the funny death animation give it an extra edge. :cool:

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

• Like 1