SORCERESS: new AGD game

From the creator of CYBERMANIA! I've written a new game, SORCERESS - an AGD maze shooter/adventure. It was quite an ordeal, as I ended up having to write the whole thing from scratch three times because AGD kept running out of memory and glitching, but I presevered and now it's finally done.

Download link here. It's a .z80 snapshot; I've had a really hard time saving out a .TAP that works for some reason (AGD 4.7 in ZXSP on Mac - I didn't have the same problem with Cybermania, which was written in 4.6), but if anyone desperately wants to try it on a real Spectrum, I'll see what I can do.

The plot: the Sorceress must rescue her love from the evil necromancer. Find keys to unlock barriers and blast the undead with magic bolts.
The controls: QAOP space.

Hope you enjoy it!

Comments

• Only had time for a quick go but it looks great, reminiscent of the Balachor series.

If you make the z80 of the game embedded in AGD available I could see if I could get a .TAP out of it.

• It looks good but its too fast for my ancient brain and the noise is a bit loud and irritating, hard to think with it.
  • It was quite fun to play, many thanks!

I have no knowledge at all about it, so may I ask if the AGD memory limitations are one of the possible reasons of the limited size of the maps that can be built.
  • DeusX wrote: »
    It was quite fun to play, many thanks!

I have no knowledge at all about it, so may I ask if the AGD memory limitations are one of the possible reasons of the limited size of the maps that can be built.
    Yes. Especially if your maps feature screens with many different blocks, they will use up more memory. Size also matters, larger screens will need more data to be stored.

Naturally if you design screens with just a few basic elements and limit the number of total sprites and the frames they employ, you will end up with more memory available to create larger maps. You won't believe how much memory sprites, especially when done with more than three frames, can eat in AGD.

Thanked by 1DeusX
  • DeusX wrote: »
    It was quite fun to play, many thanks!

Cybermania had 20 screens and more enemy types, but the maps only used one or two different types of block per screen. The maps in Sorceress are more complex, and even though I did everything I could to save memory - AGD can compress screens if you use long horizontal rows of the same block - I could still only fit in 17. The Sorceress herself also used four sprites, one for each direction, while the player in Cybermania only used one, which made a huge difference. The AI in Sorceress is also more complex, to the point that I kept running out of memory to edit some of the sprite events because they were so long!

I'd love a version of AGD that could work in 128K mode, but even though it now needs a 128K model to run as of version 4.7, it's still designed to output games that will work on a 48K model. You get 27K to play with, and that's it! (And it starts getting twitchy once you've got less than about 5K free, so you need to be even more careful.)

Thanked by 1DeusX
  • Very nice. Has shades of Cavalon about it.
  • morph wrote: »
    Very nice. Has shades of Cavalon about it.
    Thanks! It was originally going to be a lot more like Cavelon/Tutankam, but it evolved and became its own thing.
  • first impression, great presentation/graphics very slick
    will read instructions to get the most out of it next
  • Payndz wrote: »
    I'd love a version of AGD that could work in 128K mode, but even though it now needs a 128K model to run as of version 4.7, it's still designed to output games that will work on a 48K model. You get 27K to play with, and that's it! (And it starts getting twitchy once you've got less than about 5K free, so you need to be even more careful.)

AGD needs those RAM banks for editor routines and scratchpads! They're paged in and out as needed and various bits and pieces are copied to wherever they are required before the game is paged back in. Trying to use these banks for more game data would not be at all practical.

You actually get 34K, as that's roughly the amount of RAM AGD games can occupy which isn't bad. Don't forget games aren't just graphics and screen levels, they need an engine and buffers too! There's also nothing stopping you putting your own menu, start/end game sequences etc in the RAM below an AGD game either so you could take up all 40-odd kilobytes of usable RAM that way.

With the AGD editor out of the way you could also use the extra 128K RAM banks in an AGD game but you'd have to manage the RAM yourself using your own routines. Alessandro has done this.

As for the game data, pre-shifted sprites are expensive but the alternative would be a tiny number of sprites on screen and/or lots of flicker and tearing. Screens take up a lot of RAM too. Even text is expensive when memory is tight. You're probably realising now that Spectrum programmers through the ages have not had an easy time squeezing stuff into games. In a bespoke game you can make compromises that squeeze a bit more out but in a generic tool there are fewer tricks that can be employed. Sorry about that, it's just a fact of life for Spectrum developers. :)
    Still supporting Multi-Platform Arcade Game Designer, currently working on AGD 5. I am NOT on Twitter.
    Egghead Website
    Arcade Game Designer
    My itch.io page
  • Just completed it, brilliant game. A bit too short if anything, this would have been good as level 1 of 3.

Those colour shifting hellhounds are terrifying! The sound effects complimented it nicely for me, it gave the game a haunting, nasty atmosphere.

Is the lesbian backstory a first for the Speccy?

• jonathan wrote: »
    Even text is expensive when memory is tight. You're probably realising now that Spectrum programmers through the ages have not had an easy time squeezing stuff into games.
    I used to write text adventures on my 48K. I know just how expensive text can be - I like quite verbose descriptions, but my computer had other ideas! ;) Why the Spectrum didn't have a command to tell you how much of that precious memory you had left was a mystery...
    R-Type wrote:
    Is the lesbian backstory a first for the Speccy?
    As far as I know, yes. I wondered how long it would take for someone to pick up on that!
  • edited July 2017
    BTW, here's what I hope is a working .tap version of Sorceress. Can someone please test it and see if it works? It seems okay in ZXSP and Zesarux, but I can't get it to load in Fuse. (EDIT: tried it again, and this time it did load in Fuse. Weird!]

Link here
    Post edited by Payndz on
    Thanked by 2abelenki jp
  • Completed... :) Nice game, better thna Cyber Mania
    BTW, here's what I hope is a working .tap version of Sorceress. Can someone please test it and see if it works? It seems okay in ZXSP and Zesarux, but I can't get it to load in Fuse. (EDIT: tried it again, and this time it did load in Fuse. Weird!]

Link here

Yep, it is working on ZX Spin
  • edited July 2017
    Payndz wrote: »
    BTW, here's what I hope is a working .tap version of Sorceress. Can someone please test it and see if it works?
    it loads and works fine in ZXMAK2. thanks!
    Post edited by abelenki on
    MAME Stuff | ZX Spectrum favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration
    BTW, here's what I hope is a working .tap version of Sorceress. Can someone please test it and see if it works?

Loads fine into EmuZwin.

Heavy on the disasm
  • Brilliant game, a little noisy in places (those beasties stomping around sure do have heavy feet), great graphics, playing tactics and layout.

• edited July 2017
    Payndz wrote: »

Link here

Played on a real Speccy - 128k .... Love this sort of game (enjoyed Cybermania too)... Great fun. Well made... loved the skele-sprites. I did pretty well on my first go - Got the key and nearly made it to the door.... Don't know how long it is after that ? anyway - liking it.

[img]SAM_1463_zpsognm5eer.jpg

Post edited by retromad on
  • retromad wrote: »
    Played on a real Speccy - 128k .... Love this sort of game (enjoyed Cybermania too)... Great fun. Well made... loved the skele-sprites. I did pretty well on my first go - Got the key and nearly made it to the door.... Don't know how long it is after that ? anyway - liking it.

[img]SAM_1463_zpsognm5eer.jpg
    Wow, fantastic to see it working on a real Spectrum! Glad you're enjoying it - and if you've only got the first key, there's a fair bit more still to see...
  • @Payndz
    Is it Ok for me to take a look at this on a video I want to do?
  • SORCERESS - A rather nice ZX Spectrum AGD maze shooter adventure by Payndz

REVIEWED!
    https://shar.es/1Tdd68
  • A very nice game :) Congratulations!
  • morcar wrote: »
    @Payndz
    Is it Ok for me to take a look at this on a video I want to do?
    No problem - go ahead!
  • Neil79 wrote: »
    SORCERESS - A rather nice ZX Spectrum AGD maze shooter adventure by Payndz

REVIEWED!
    https://shar.es/1Tdd68
    Thanks! Glad you liked it!
  • edited July 2017
    COMPLETED on a real Spectrum ! Which I'm afraid does mean it's a bit too easy... 'cause I'm not usually that good without Save states ! Suggestion.... Hearts could give you 1 or 2 lives instead of fully restoring it? Anyway - enjoyed that :) oh - and out of interest - colours are different when played on ZXDS.
    Post edited by retromad on
  • This is EXCELLENT.
    ZX81/ZX Spectrum/Amiga/Atari music: http://yerzmyey.i-demo.pl/