New game - Roboprobe/48

Hello,
I am pleased to announce my new game Roboprobe/48, in which you play a repair droid trying to stop a sabotaged space station colliding with a planet.

[img]Roboprobe_Screenshot01.jpg

Roboprobe_Screenshot02.jpg

Dropbox download HERE

(Version with AY sound to follow within a few days).

(AGD 4.7 was used to make this game).

Thanks for reading

Stephen

Thanked by 3hikoki R-Tape abelenki

Comments

• If anyone has flashing UDG blocks, that's unintentional - something is wrong with my emulator ULA Plus settings and I need to correct it.
  • Colour issue is sorted now.
  • Dang, gameover at 54 items.

Enjoyable exploreemup, would be cool to add a minigame at the end where you use the items to repair the ship.
  • R-Tape wrote: »
    Dang, gameover at 54 items.

Enjoyable exploreemup, would be cool to add a minigame at the end where you use the items to repair the ship.

Thanks. I have some RAM free, maybe I could add a minigame somehow, perhaps some Sinclair BASIC or in AGD.

• There are "Robozone" in the manual. :)
    In one place it is even 84, not 48. :P
    Heavy on the disasm
    Thanked by 1LoadingScreech
  • edited June 2017
    Bedazzle wrote: »
    There are "Robozone" in the manual. :)
    In one place it is even 84, not 48. :P

Ah, yes - you noticed my deliberate mistake *ahem*. The game went through some name changes, I'll sort that in my next update.

:))
    Post edited by LoadingScreech on
  • Typing errors in instruction manual corrected.
  • Mission Success.
  • Completed it in my second go, it was an entertaining game, I liked some details like the possibility to shoot and fly freely, and the map was big enough to make it not so repetitive. I liked it in general, fast but playable ;)

Mission success :)
    Thanked by 1LoadingScreech
    Mission Success.
    Congratulations!

• Ivanzx wrote: »
    Completed it in my second go, it was an entertaining game... I liked it in general, fast but playable ;)

Mission success :)

Thanks. Though maybe this means I should make the game harder (or maybe you're just an excellent player).

:)
  • 128k version (AY sound effects) added. Download link remains the same.
  • edited June 2017
    Though maybe this means I should make the game harder (or maybe you're just an excellent player).

On another forum people sighed, that:
    - there is no visible damaging (besides % at bottom)
    - drone speed can be faster
    - need more enemy animations

Post edited by Bedazzle on
    Heavy on the disasm
  • edited June 2017
    Version 1-1 uploaded. Adds more sound effects to 48k and 128k versions. Dropbox download link remains the same.

Download dropbox HERE

or on my BLOG
  • Bedazzle wrote: »
    Though maybe this means I should make the game harder (or maybe you're just an excellent player).

On another forum people sighed, that:
    - there is no visible damaging (besides % at bottom)
    - drone speed can be faster
    - need more enemy animations

Thanks for your suggestions.
    1. I've used all 8 sprite types in Arcade Game Designer 4.7 - I could show damage if I could free up 2 sprites (1x left, 1x right).

2. I used faster speeds for the cannons - I could speed up the drones. I'll give it a try.

3. I animated the drones but found the movements of swarming enemies annoying so removed them.
  • edited July 2017
    Version 1-1 uploaded. Adds more sound effects to 48k and 128k versions

Comments from same man on another forum:
    http://zx-pk.ru/threads/27832-roboprobe-48.html

Game is too easy, can it be harder?
    Is it better now, but can you improve?

left aligned damage numbers are is shown incorrectly:
    90 - ooops....

collision sound is good, but is too quiet (than shooting)
    collision with spikes is too loud

sometimes collision sound disappers, snapshot here

AY collisions are terrible :(
    more noises please!!!!

is it impossible to repair in centre of a map, you need to go to the right screen, or somewhere else

is it not obvious that platforms are performing repair functions

key must be wider, or some kind of flashing pillars

there are no real crossroads, it is possible to go through all the map by using right hand rule

it is not enough that "circle" around the map

it is a bad idea to use similar rooms

map can be bigger

enemies can appear right in front of gamer!!! terrible...

enemy animation highly needed

it is not obvious, what we are collecting:
    items are not attractive nor beauty

graphics can be improved

Post edited by Bedazzle on
    Heavy on the disasm
  • edited July 2017
    Version 1.2 added, adds animation to enemy drone sprites.

To no-one in particular, can I also point out I am doing this as a hobby, and despite spending many hours on it since March am giving it away for completely free. I am also not a well person and am struggling with a permanent illness.

Sorry if people are 'Sceners' but I'm not - making these games is supposed to be fun, not oppressive. The last commercial ZX Spectrum game here in the United Kingdom was Nigel Mansell's Grand Prix in 1993 - it's currently 2017 and the Spectrum is well into it's 'special interest' phase.

I don't see why I should be treated like a school kid or mega-billionaire software house owner when I'm making games for a 35 year old 8 bit computer from the 1980s and then giving them away for FREE.

Frequently overlooked and not mentioned is that I am NOT coding in assembly language but am using AGD Arcade Game Designer, which although brilliant does have some glitches. I'm using AGD BASIC and am not a 'hard core' Z80 programmer.

Thankyou for spoiling my fun.
  • No need to point out the download is gone - I removed it myself.
  • edited July 2017
    Chin up chef, it's just some frank criticism from one person that you can take or ignore. Be thankful people are playing it!

Looking forward to your next game (no flouncing! :-) )

Post edited by R-Tape on
  • Please keep your fun billowed. Prove these rusky people you can outperform their expectations. Rusky people want to have it all! Lol
  • Come on LoadingScreech, put it back up, I want to have a go at it!
  • spud wrote: »
    Come on LoadingScreech, put it back up, I want to have a go at it!

Okay - it's on Dropbox HERE
    Thanked by 1F_Clowder
    Chin up chef, it's just some frank criticism from one person that you can take or ignore. Be thankful people are playing it!

Looking forward to your next game (no flouncing! :-) )

Thanks. Now that I've spat my dummy out I'll put in back in. I admit the game could be improved but I'm better suited to lower numbers of criticisms in one go.

:-SS
  • hikoki wrote: »
    Please keep your fun billowed. Prove these rusky people you can outperform their expectations. Rusky people want to have it all! Lol

Thankyou (I used to find your suggestions difficult Hikoki when I first visited WoS). I'm just a humble BASIC coder and the Russians are probably ace Z80 assembly coders. I just feel tired and was hoping to be finished with Robozone/48, so I could relax for a day or two.

I-)
  • edited July 2017
    Cheers LoadingScreech. For me part of the fun is to imagine things while playing and tell the devs in the forums, most of them won't make sense though, sometimes may even sound like menacing or laughing at the poor devs.
    Have you thought of implementing those suggestions like jokes easy to make for you?
    Do they want diffent decorations? Place many doors on levels so the player gets trapped on the same level if he does not choose the right one or even simpler, make the player repeat the same level and steal all achieved keys if he does contact any enemy on that level.
    Do they want enemy animations? Make enemies flashing and changing of colour all the time.
    I don't see unfair all of a sudden appearing enemies as there is an energy bar and the fun would be playing the same level over and over again until you pass clean.
    Do they want fancy keys? See above, the appealing is that the game robs your precious ugly keys if you touch anything.
    Too short for you russian guys? See above bitches. The game will be faaar longer to complete. Also play a kalinka mini tune everytime a level is restarted which means all keys are stolen.
    Sometimes sound disappears or it's too loud? Play a buzz sound all the time with occasional really loud sounds so as to warn the players eardrum.
    ^^
    Post edited by hikoki on
  • To no-one in particular, can I also point out I am doing this as a hobby, and despite spending many hours on it since March am giving it away for completely free. I am also not a well person and am struggling with a permanent illness.

Sorry, there were absolutely no intention to insult you. I think, original tone of suggestions was lost, when I translated them. My sorry, nobody asked me for help and translation, I just pryed into other's business.

Peace, and again -
    mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Heavy on the disasm
  • Bedazzle wrote: »
    Sorry, there were absolutely no intention to insult you. I think, original tone of suggestions was lost, when I translated them. My sorry, nobody asked me for help and translation, I just pryed into other's business.

Peace, and again -
    mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

That's okay - thankyou and I also am sorry.

Having just logged in with a new version (1.2) that took some of your criticisms into account, I found a new post from you with several more criticisms and it seemed to be very sarcastic (as you say something was probably lost in the translation).

I'm also ill and tired but that's not your fault.

Again, I also apologise and thank you for your apology.

I will tinker around and try to improve Roboprobe/48 as well.

Thanked by 1F_Clowder
  • edited July 2017
    hikoki wrote: »
    Cheers LoadingScreech.
    Have you thought of implementing those suggestions like jokes easy to make for you?
    Do they want diffent decorations? Place many doors on levels so the player gets trapped on the same level if he does not choose the right one or even simpler, make the player repeat the same level and steal all achieved keys if he does contact any enemy on that level.

^^

Many great suggestions Hikoki - I don't think I would put those ideas into a new game though. Then my games would remind me of the 1980's and 1990's ZX games that I wasted my pocket money on only to see Game Over on my screen over and over again. Despite my little rant - I'm too nice!

:))
  • edited July 2017
    @LoadingScreach I would not like to swim against the tide of cinematic self-exploration games, I prefer Underwurlde and the likes that made you want bang your head against the keyboard. Anyways modern games can be even harder than the oldies yet forgiving with infinite lives. Looking forward to the improvements you have in mind.
    Post edited by hikoki on
  • hikoki wrote: »
    @LoadingScreach I . Looking forward to the improvements you have in mind.

Thanks!