Bubble Bobble remake!

After playing Pietro Brothers and marvelling at the colors with the Nirvana+, I think the prime candidate to be remade to me Bubble Bobble. While very playable the official one was one that made me green with envy at the version of the beige one. Apart from the lack of color it also lacked the lots of secret tricks and items too. I do realize this would be a Herculean task :)

Comments

• spectrum version is decent enough surely? cpc one did get a remake, but it did need it.
  • It was certainly super playable it just lacked some of the secret doors and the extra food tricks present in arcade and other versions. Looking at Pietro Bros done with Nirvana+ I instantly thought someone has to remake one of the best platformers of all time :) I'm a bit of a coding noob and time poor guess can set it as a long time goal :)
  • I feel bad for our CPC brethren they really got a lot of bad versions of games even though it's a very capable machine. I played a lot on it in my younger days at my cousin's house
  • The only thing that gets to me is the sound of when you jump. Man....that really grates on my nipples
  • I don't think you've ever had your nipples grated :) The sound is not that bad !
  • I hate the nipple grater noise too... that's about all I'd change ... plus could never get the music to work without graphic corruption and crashes.
  • I'm not sure it's suitable - when the screen is full of bubbles, there are far too many sprites to redraw to get any decent speed out of a multicolour engine.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • edited February 2017
    this is not nirvana, just regular graphics done with AGD
    I am thinking of not redoing the same game...maybe giving a different twist...

Post edited by gabriele amore on
    Find my (mostly unfinished) games here
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694367894143130/
  • That's still pretty neat I haven't had a good go with AGD. When I find the time and my kid is asleep :)
  • Awesome! I see chameleons likkers and chameleons changing their colours to blend in with environment thanks to colur clash. A strategy/stealth platformer based on camouflage..
  • edited February 2017
    Just a test (no bubble capturing yet): 1 player spirte, 6 enemies sprites, 3 bubble sprites plus explosions and sounds plus all those colors...not too much slowdown ... i think something nice can be done..

• The colours and big sprites are nice, but I'm not a fan of attribute based animation.
    I prefer single colour for sprites and smooth animation as in Donkey Kong Reloaded Again :)
    Perhaps you can try it like that.
  • It's a nice fast preview.
  • edited February 2017
    4throck wrote: »
    The colours and big sprites are nice, but I'm not a fan of attribute based animation.
    I prefer single colour for sprites and smooth animation as in Donkey Kong Reloaded Again :)
    Perhaps you can try it like that.
    welll i though the point was to go beyond monochromatic sprites... the other option would be to use Bifrost or Nirvana graphics as suggested by ivanb303 but that requires programming skills i do not have...

PS thanks for appreciating DKRA btw :D

• edited February 2017
    new wip video (and yes there are many things that need to be fixed...it is a WIP)
    anybody doing a nirvana+ demo out there?

• Will the blocky attributes for the background always be on screen?
    It will look a lot better without them and make the game easier on the eyes.
  • i like some color in the bckgrd...but coloring sprite with AGD does not allow fro complex backgrounds (sprite colors will bleed) so i may use something like that
  • edited February 2017
    Hi Gab. Could the baddies be trapped inside the bubbles as in 'Bubble Frenzy'? It may be funnier to see.. maybe this would limit the number of sprites at the same time?
    Another idea to make it more like 'Bomb Jack' could be that the number of bubbles available was decreased as they are spent on baddies. The player could replenish bubbles by taking soap powerups.
    The new background suggests a few nice ideas.. you might find some good fun both as an artist and game designer.. what about blending background designs with gameplay? For example making platforms like rooftops of a city landscape, baddies disappearing/appearing when passing through treetops, waterfalls, etc blocks would be placed to draw the landscape but also to impact on gameplay as for camouflage, barriers, fire, rivers, light, etc watch this place, i'm going to look for some images :)
    Post edited by hikoki on
  • Hi again. Some backgrounds with mosaic blocks: https://postimg.org/gallery/2fy2six2s/
    Sprites chashing between air and underwater is always good looking
  • hikoki wrote: »
    Hi Gab. Could the baddies be trapped inside the bubbles as in 'Bubble Frenzy'? It may be funnier to see.. maybe this would limit the number of sprites at the same time?
    Another idea to make it more like 'Bomb Jack' could be that the number of bubbles available was decreased as they are spent on baddies. The player could replenish bubbles by taking soap powerups.
    The new background suggests a few nice ideas.. you might find some good fun both as an artist and game designer.. what about blending background designs with gameplay? For example making platforms like rooftops of a city landscape, baddies disappearing/appearing when passing through treetops, waterfalls, etc blocks would be placed to draw the landscape but also to impact on gameplay as for camouflage, barriers, fire, rivers, light, etc watch this place, i'm going to look for some images :)

Lots of good ideas....some of which i might mange to implement at some point...thanks
    Thanked by 1hikoki
  • Hi Gabriele. Glad that you've found the "painting-background" blocks inspiring to play with.
    I've just added a few more backgrounds above.
    The way with which you avoid colour clash is intriguing. I think it has to do with having blocks separated 8px from each other. I wonder if you could get interesting clashing effects by alternating blocks which look the same to the eye, that is, bright blue next to dimmed blue or bright red and dimmed red side by side. Maybe this way you could make a blue(red) mask around the character? like the black mask on Brunilda, only that this way might be less visible..
  • (sprite colors will bleed) so i may use something like that

Looks fine to me.
    I get the appeal of colored sprites, and I can accept some color clash.
    Perhaps some middle ground?
    4 pixel step movement might look smother and still don't clash too much.
    Or limit color variation to columns, if the sprites moves mainly horizontal.

Just some ideas, that's all, perhaps for a future game.
  • edited February 2017
    I was wondering about appearing/disappearing sprites behind trees.. Has this trick been used in other games to give the illusion of having many more sprites at the same time? I think AGD allows up to 12 sprites at the same time, this way you could "double" or "triple" the number of sprites! You could temporarily hide them or leave them visible as a block camouflaged with a tree. Something like that could be work with mummies on shifting sands or airplanes behind clouds. This kind of trick could be useful in genres which require lots of sprites like Tower defense games, rts, etc
    Post edited by hikoki on
  • edited February 2017
    well.... for now i am working on this: a mix between bubble bobble and bomb jack...
  • edited February 2017
    Nice! Could you add some landscape element? just a small detail so that players turn their 3d goggles on.. Maybe a star in the form of white dot within windows, a piece of moon on the top side, some agd particles crossing the sky from time to time, etc. some minor details that make backgrounds feel "real"
    If you make the game a bit like Bomb Jack, I guess baddies will have some characteristic motion patterns and be reactive to player movements. Collision detection on AGD seems to be a bit unforgiving.. is there some trick to make it clearer/easier for the player? maybe doing something like, if distance < -1 then collision
    Post edited by hikoki on