SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Dangerous Demolition [Master System / Game Gear]

Reply to topic
Dangerous Demolition [Master System / Game Gear]
Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:36 pm
Hi everyone!

You might remember my game Dangerous Demolition, that I created for the 2020 SMS Power competition. Sadly, this Game Gear game didn't fare well in the programming competition: it ended up ranking 8th out of 9 entries. But this was a fair result, as the other entries were clearly better and more polished than mine (my title screen was a simple text output!).

The game can be described as a mix between a top-down shooter and a breakout game!

Playing the other competition entries, and using the feedback I received, motivated me to continue working on this project to make a better game. Now is the time to show you the results!

Compared to the previous version, this new version features:

- Revised and improved gameplay: better controls, more precise collisions, friendlier difficulty curve, etc.

- 30 Levels of intense wall destruction!

- New kind of bricks to add more variety to the gameplay.

- New game modes: arcade, time attack, survival and dodge mode.

- Prettier graphics (including an actual title screen!)

- The game is now available for both the Game Gear and the Master System. The game is more or less identical, although all the levels have been designed to fit within each console screen space! (one can argue that the Game Gear version is slightly more difficult as the screen is tinier)

The game should be released on cartridge by the end of 2021 (hopefully). Meanwhile, if you want to try the game right now, the latest beta versions ROMs are available for my supporters on Patreon, as I do with all my projects: https://www.patreon.com/posts/52994024

I hope you'll be interested in this project, and I'll keep you updated on how it goes! Thanks again for running those competitions, it was the motivation I needed to finally start a project on the GameGear (and then the SMS)!

Revo
Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:37 pm
So glad to see that coming on SMS, was a big fan of the GG version ;)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:37 pm
Congrats, your game has come along nicely since the compo version :)
I liked the Compo version a lot, too!!
Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:42 am
Looking forward to see another physical cart being released :)
Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:59 pm
Brilliant! I've always liked your game. It's really original and unique. I think it might have performed better in the competition if it had been an SMS game from the get-go. I think Game Gear games are traditionally less popular for whatever reason.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:39 pm
drludos wrote
You might remember my game Dangerous Demolition, that I created for the 2020 SMS Power competition. Sadly, this Game Gear game didn't fare well in the programming competition: it ended up ranking 8th out of 9 entries.

For what is worth, I enjoyed it - nice to see you've kept working on it and you even created a Master System version :)
Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:35 pm
Thanks a lot to all of you for your interest and your support! :)

I hope you'll enjoy the final game too!

And I didn't mean to complain or appear sad of the competition results: on the contrary, I was kind of blown away by the graphical quality of many entries, and it was a great motivation to try to do better for my own game (although it's hard to make beautiful stuffs with 8x8 sprites :p).

@sverx: an extra round of thanks to you as both versions of the game use DevkitSMS+PSGlib, making it very easy to make games for the Game Gear and SMS.

@Kagesan: I must confess that I'm very surprised by the lack of popularity of the Game Gear, be it in the homebrew scene or in the retro gaming scene as a whole. I always loved this machine, and it's sad to see it kind of "forgotten" today. I really wonder why SMS players don't love it more, as it's basically a portable SMS :).
Revo
Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:36 am

Can't wait the physical release!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:29 pm
Congrats, looks really cool. I will buy a physical copy as soon as you can make them. Keep up the good work. cheers.
Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:40 am
Thanks for your support and interest, and thanks a lot @Revo for the gameplay recording! You are ready for Level 30 now! ;)
Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:49 am
drludos wrote
I must confess that I'm very surprised by the lack of popularity of the Game Gear, be it in the homebrew scene or in the retro gaming scene as a whole. I always loved this machine, and it's sad to see it kind of "forgotten" today. I really wonder why SMS players don't love it more, as it's basically a portable SMS :).

I can only speculate, but I think that's exactly why the GG struggled when it was introduced. "Oh, it's just a portable Master System!" At the beginning, a lot of GG games were mere SMS ports, so if people already had a stationary SMS, they probably didn't see the appeal in buying the same game twice, only to be able to play it on the go. The more interesting exclusives that also made use of the superior VDP came out much later.

Why it's not more popular nowadays and in the homebrew scene is probably because of a) lack of nostalgia due to not many people having been GG fans for the aforementioned reasons and b) the considerable effort you have to go through if you want a unit in working condition today.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:50 pm
Regarding the GG not being as popular as the SMS, speaking for myself, for many years now I only play SMS via my Mega Drive. GG games and SMS software which relies on SMS-specific functions to operate don't really get a look in outside of the odd, rarely used emulation solution on other consoles.

With that said, this game does look utterly fantastic, Dr Ludos. Thanks for revisiting and improving it.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:50 am
As someone who arguably have a little preference for the GG over the SMS (but nowadays I tend to prefer handheld consoles in general) I haven't though about that. But now that you mention it, all your arguments make a lot of sense :).

It's a shame though, because being able to play SMS games on-the-go is already a cool feature IMHO. That being said, homebrew-wise, I think it's easier to go from a GG game to a SMS one than the opposite. It's easier to "expand" the playfield than reducing it. That may also explain why so few SMS homebrew titles get ported/adapted to the GG.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:43 am
I'd be up for a physical copy, this looks fun as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:27 pm
hello, is there a possibility to buy a digital version? I have seen that you can pre-order the physical cartridge, but I am wondering if you can buy a digital version.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:33 pm
What are you using for cartridges and PCBs? I'm really hoping you're not using sacrifice carts.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:37 pm
8BitBoy wrote
I'd be up for a physical copy, this looks fun as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! It took us quite a long time, but the game is finally available in physical format:
https://cotegamers.com/shop/en/accueil/124-dangerous-demolition.html

Dariolino78 wrote
hello, is there a possibility to buy a digital version? I have seen that you can pre-order the physical cartridge, but I am wondering if you can buy a digital version.

Hi, thanks a lot for interest. Yes, I plan to have the digital version (ROM) version available at a later date (I want people who ordered a physical copy to be able to discover the game before) I'll make a post again when it'll be available :).

SavagePencil wrote
What are you using for cartridges and PCBs? I'm really hoping you're not using sacrifice carts.

Don't worry, as a game collector myself, I don't want to sacrifice games from the 90's for my projects! So everything is made with brand new parts. The cartridge shells were bought from Krikzz, and the cartridge PCBs are manufactured for us by Raphnet.

Actually, I think that my game is the first one to use Raphnet's new mapper, that he designed for his Master System PCB. Basically it allows the same functionalities as the classic SEGA mapper (bankswitching and SRAM saving), but with a single FlashROM chip!

It was a fun part of the project. We had some back and forth beta testing for this, and he even made a fork of the good old MEKA emulator so I could implement the new mapper inside the game more quickly than waiting for him to flash a new PCB with each new revision. Of course, the final beta testing of the game was made on real hardware and with the actual PCB he produced :).
Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:47 pm
Got my SMS Boxed copy today.

Short Review : This is really bloody good. You've nailed risk reward with the way it works and turning breakout on its head is an excellent idea.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:38 am
Yesterzine wrote
Got my SMS Boxed copy today.

Short Review : This is really bloody good. You've nailed risk reward with the way it works and turning breakout on its head is an excellent idea.

Thanks a lot for the kind words, and I'm very happy to hear that you are enjoying the game! :)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!