Has Super Mario Brothers ever been ported to the C64?

Talk about C64 games. Not for emulation related problems.

Moderator: Lemoners

commodorejohn
Rick Dangerous
Rick Dangerous

Post by commodorejohn »

The original ROM is actually 40 KB - 32 KB of program ROM plus 8 KB of tile data.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
knue
Joe Blade
Joe Blade

Post by knue »

But the NES can mirror sprites in hardware. This basically means that the sprite data almost doubles in size on the c64.
Tom-Cat
Mikie
Mikie

Post by Tom-Cat »

knue wrote:But the NES can mirror sprites in hardware. This basically means that the sprite data almost doubles in size on the c64.
The c64 version unpacks and mirrors the sprites in realtime and caches them... so the data is not exactly doubled... maybe it is even less because of packing.
----------
Tom-Cat
Mayhem
Cartridge King
Cartridge King

Post by Mayhem »

As long as there's enough cycle time... Impossible Mission flips the sprites in memory in real time btw!
Mayhem64 - for all your cartridge needs!

"My aim is to produce games that have graphics and audio that will rape your eyeballs and take your ears from behind with a strap-on" - Jeff Minter
knue
Joe Blade
Joe Blade

Post by knue »

ah cool. didn't know that. I always thought that mirroring sprites in real time is for most games not really an option as it wastes too many cycles.
The fastest code I can think about is this:

Code: Select all

ldy #63                 ; 2 cycles
-
lax (base), y           ; 5 cycles * 63
lda mirrortable, x      ; 4 cycles * 63
sta sprite_frame_0, y   ; 5 cycles * 63
dey                     ; 2 cycles * 63
bpl -                   ; 3 cycles * 63 + 2
And then have 8 variants. That's more than 19 raster lines for mirroring just one sprite frame - not counting any setup code. For 8 sprites that wastes about 160 raster lines - half of the raster time available.
Lasse
C64 Games Programmer
C64 Games Programmer

Post by Lasse »

Usually not that many sprites change animation frame during one screen frame, so you can get away with quite little wasted rastertime, as long as you cache the results. And make sure that you don't glitch if you overshoot the frame rastertime, but just slow down.
NM156
Jumpman
Jumpman

Post by NM156 »

knue wrote:ah cool. didn't know that. I always thought that mirroring sprites in real time is for most games not really an option as it wastes too many cycles.
The fastest code I can think about is this:

Code: Select all

ldy #63                 ; 2 cycles
-
lax (base), y           ; 5 cycles * 63
lda mirrortable, x      ; 4 cycles * 63
sta sprite_frame_0, y   ; 5 cycles * 63
dey                     ; 2 cycles * 63
bpl -                   ; 3 cycles * 63 + 2
And then have 8 variants. That's more than 19 raster lines for mirroring just one sprite frame - not counting any setup code. For 8 sprites that wastes about 160 raster lines - half of the raster time available.
You have to consider that Impossible Mission does this during the turning animation.
knue
Joe Blade
Joe Blade

Post by knue »

IC. But they only mirror the sprite frames for the main char I guess. Also Mission Impossible doesn't have to waste lots of raster time for scrolling.
Dave3622
Mikie
Mikie

Post by Dave3622 »

I'm confused by the sprite colours in those screenshots. I thought multi-coloured sprites had two common colours, yet Mario has Red, Brown and Pink and Bowser has Green, White and Pink! Without Sprite overlays how is this possible?

edit; noticed that mario has hi-res brown so guess that's the overlay!
redrumloa
Zorro
Zorro

Post by redrumloa »

This looks amazing! Sounds close to release? Will it be released as Super Mario Bros? if so, will it fly under radars? Some silly Amiga "Smurfs" game was released for free, and the developer got demands for cash or he'd be sued. he did make a whole website promoting it, which probably didn't help.

Maybe Super Tramiel Bros? Super Commodore Bros? Super Vic Bros? Super Butterfield Bros? :P
Rekrul
Usagi Yojimbo
Usagi Yojimbo

Post by Rekrul »

redrumloa wrote:This looks amazing! Sounds close to release? Will it be released as Super Mario Bros? if so, will it fly under radars? Some silly Amiga "Smurfs" game was released for free, and the developer got demands for cash or he'd be sued. he did make a whole website promoting it, which probably didn't help.
The more a game remake is hyped and promoted, the greater the chance that the original copyright holder will squash it like a bug. Which is why I always say that people should do these projects in secret and only tell the world when it's finished. Once it's released, it's too late to stop it and even if they take it down like the company demands, it will live on.
redrumloa wrote:Maybe Super Tramiel Bros? Super Commodore Bros? Super Vic Bros? Super Butterfield Bros? :P
I vote for the Goldbergs' version; Super Immigrant Plumbers. :)
zaphod77
Zorro
Zorro

Post by zaphod77 »

i'd actually prefer multiload, if only so people could make editors. :)
ZeroPaige
William Wobbler
William Wobbler

Post by ZeroPaige »

Thanks for the nice comments. Yes, it is definitely close to being done and it will be released in a couple of days. As for the name, it is called: Super Mario Bros. 64

I have uploaded another video. Mainly to show the difference from the one I uploaded almost 6 years ago, but also to show it really is running on my C64.

https://flic.kr/p/2e9foqn
OmegaMax
Usagi Yojimbo
Usagi Yojimbo

Post by OmegaMax »

ZeroPaige wrote:As for the name, it is called: Super Mario Bros. 64
:thumbsup:
retroscener
Jack The Nipper
Jack The Nipper

Post by retroscener »

omgomgomg that looks amazing, and released in just a couple of days? 8O

My new Commodore two button sega mastersystem style gamepad has just arrived too. It should be perfect for this :D

My girlfriend boasts about beating this game on the NES. I will have to put her to the test on this :lol: