IGNORED

Tony - Born for adventure

This is spot on! Well done @popmilo, @RafalDudek and the rest of the team. I always appreciate 50 FPS action, so this gets top marks from me :).

I know from experience that making a full game takes a lot of time and effort, so I hope you keep up the momentum and make it to the finish line!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Krystone said:

One comment right away: Please assume the user doesn't have the keyboard to start the game... Only joystick. I will explain later if it needs to be explained.

I know about it :) Forgive my c64 bias ;)
Gonna add that right away :)

Here are new files with added "press fire to skip title screen or story text".

tony.xex tony.atr

Edited by popmilo
Added new files.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, pseudografx said:

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.85c40862e6caca009c210cbcb9172c7a.png

Nice and plays well. Great graphics, music player still needs a fix. ;-)

As rmt uses lots of cpu time and has crazy memory layout i've used lzss.
I've followed existing lzss examples, it kinda works, I can't hear much difference from playing it in Rmt. Need to add fx on 4th channel, will be in full game.

If I find bugs in player I'll fix it of course :)

Here are new files with added "press fire to skip title screen or story text"

Good, but not great 🙂Please add debounce now... When you press fire on the title screen, if you hold it for too long, it would skip the story screen. Also, instead of space bar, please use Atari Console keys for any needed key input. You can leave the space bar as is, but the game also "needs" to support OPTION or SELECT buttons. Again, I can explain why if asked. Also, while loading a small loader would make this prettier on real hardware especially when BASIC and ROM are switched off earlier. Overall, this is such an amazing title that I would hate for it to have these small imperfections. I am testing on a real Atari on a CRT, btw.

32 minutes ago, popmilo said:

As rmt uses lots of cpu time and has crazy memory layout i've used lzss.
I've followed existing lzss examples, it kinda works, I can't hear much difference from playing it in Rmt. Need to add fx on 4th channel, will be in full game.

If I find bugs in player I'll fix it of course :)

I think there's a wrong note table for one of the instruments (the sharp-sounding one).

• Like 4

Wow, fantastic. Seriously high quality. Love the look, feel, and animation. Very fluid. Even at this early stage it already looks like it will prove challenging and have longevity as a platfomer. Music is great and really adds to gameplay. (Edit: as mentioned by PG above I can hear a slightly out of tune background note - just had the volume up higher and noticed) :)

I am sure i'll provide some constructive feedback the more I play, but already at this earlish stage it's looking excellent.

Also, for the motivation of the coders, I would gently urge people to provide constructive feedback and also recognise that it's an early beta and I'd imagine all such feedback will be welcomed and taken into account.

We all know what happened with the PoP thread whilst that amazing port was being developed, which is the only reason I am saying this. :)

Kudos to all involved. This is going to be a great platformer. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Krystone said:

Good, but not great 🙂Please add debounce now... When you press fire on the title screen, if you hold it for too long, it would skip the story screen. Also, instead of space bar, please use Atari Console keys for any needed key input. You can leave the space bar as is, but the game also "needs" to support OPTION or SELECT buttons. Again, I can explain why if asked. Also, while loading a small loader would make this prettier on real hardware especially when BASIC and ROM are switched off earlier. Overall, this is such an amazing title that I would hate for it to have these small imperfections. I am testing on a real Atari on a CRT, btw.

Yeah I understand most of what you're talking about :) Promise I'll use atari standard keys for such interactions in final product.
Demo is kind of a hack, everything is squeezed in memory held down by cruncher and depacker making it possible to fit in single 40k file.
Final game will be disk based and have proper loader as game will have many parts similar to c64 version.

15 minutes ago, pseudografx said:

I think there's a wrong note table for one of the instruments (the sharp-sounding one).

I don't even know what that means :) Could be some freak error in rmt -> export as lzss compressed stream, or some mistake in my player routine I copied from somewhere on net...

• Thanks 1

It's strange playing it in NTSC format, but I presume you already know that.  It's really well done so far, I have no issues with the controls and it's reasonably challenging what little I've played.

Great job!

Edited by rdefabri
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

It's strange playing it in NTSC format, but I presume you already know that.  It's really well done so far, I have no issues with the controls and it's reasonably challenging what little I've played.

Great job!

Ufff.... I was testing ntsc regularly first couple months of development :)
Must admit that after that I forgot to test it even once :)
Sorry if it skips a frame here and there, or if music sounds weird... I'll try to make final game playable in ntsc land too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, popmilo said:

Ufff.... I was testing ntsc regularly first couple months of development :)
Must admit that after that I forgot to test it even once :)
Sorry if it skips a frame here and there, or if music sounds weird... I'll try to make final game playable in ntsc land too.

Didn't notice skipped frames, only that Tony jumped like he was in slow motion.  Music sounded fine, but didn't play it long enough.  I can try more if that helps?

1 minute ago, MrFish said:

Ufff that sounds strange in 60fps :)

Probably doesn't run in 60fps, so animation frames are skipped. As there's only two frames it looks like tony's sliding :)
Sorry for that. Game's not guaranteed to work in that framerate, but I sure will try to make it work in the future.

@MrFish It's even worse than I thought :)
Take a look at comparisson between free cpu cycles on Pal system vs how many scanlines are "overflow" (little over full ntsc screen height, so it skips a frame because of only couple scanlines.... ufff).

We'll see... If I can I'll make it 60fps even if I have to drop some enemies from busier screens. If not  I can go for 30fps, should be playable still.

ntsc_overflow.jpg.3fa9af579c3039c02ceef2f10c9f9b76.jpg