IGNORED

In the development of an unnamed game about a police car for the Atari 2600

kikipdph

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I've been a bit lazy, so I haven't done much in the development of the  game. Here's the first public .bin file.

The car moves left and right (currently, it's not set up to not leave the track).

You accelerate by pushing the joystick lever forward.

When you release the joystick lever, it slows down Sudden braking is achieved by pulling the joystick lever down. The brake lights are also functioning on the car

Pressing the fire button activates the rotating light on the police car, which will likely be used in a showdown with the criminal car.

The game won't have a complete stop for the car except in the case of a collision. The game won't be similar to Turbo game, although it borrows elements from that game :) This is just the beginning; what this game will ultimately become remains to be seen.

policec.bin

Edited by kikipdph
  • Like 2

I think it might be cool to have scrolling color bars in the sky too, like you have in the grass.

I don't really have the slightest clue what you had in mind for catching a criminal or how it could work. What eventually occured to me as solution is maybe the main object in driving could be to avoid crashes and get to the end of the line. And then there could be a different game phase where you fight the criminal (or wizard, giant robot, etc.). Or maybe this is too much and a different concept. 

Another crazy idea and maybe concept-breaker too, is to have a road above in sky that matches the footprint of road on the ground and has upside down cars on it. The police car is able to jump between roads and needs to dodge the other cars in so doing.

I think reason I randomly went that way is that I was previously thinking about how the screen seems to be evenly divided in half. My more practical response to that is to suggest that the horizon be further up in the screen so you have more room for road graphics and elements that are interactive. .. But I guess then it occurs to me it could kind of be interesting if the screen is divided in half like it is and has a good reason to be, like crazy upside down thing.

I don't remember the Turbo game or if maybe it had great big sky. Racing/3D driving games I have in mind are Night Driver, Pole Position and Enduro. Setting aside my crazier ideas, I do think all of those use more screen area for the roadway with a higher on the screen horizon.

But I did get lost and swept away watching the video and thinking about it and getting crazy. Several aspects reminded me of Space Harrier arcade, the color bar scrolling as well as the techno looking mountains as you've drawn them. Making the sky or ceiling scroll color bars, (originally it occurs because the clouds scroll and I didn't notice or keep in mind until second or third viewing) would be more Space Harrier like, but besides just look cool.

If jumping car idea is at all in the same universe as you and this game, you might check out Up N' Down, or recall it if you already know. I've only played the 2600 version, which is clunky but quite fun. Not 3D perspective view though.

I'd like to see different color combinations attempted for everything besides maybe the police car. At least I would try different colors if it is possible.

Edited by gliptitude
  • Like 1

Really great use of the playfield in this and Jutland skies.

5 hours ago, gliptitude said:

I don't really have the slightest clue what you had in mind for catching a criminal or how it could work. What eventually occured to me as solution is maybe the main object in driving could be to avoid crashes and get to the end of the line. And then there could be a different game phase where you fight the criminal (or wizard, giant robot, etc.). Or maybe this is too much and a different concept. 

The one game that sticks in my mind is APB. There was this mechanic where you would ticket minor offenders by first driving behind them and activating your siren to get them to pull over. It had more of a top down perspective but I could imagine that working here . IIRC there was like a crosshairs that you had to keep lined up over their car (in terms of implementation that could be an extension of the player's sprite)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dave C said:

Really great use of the playfield in this and Jutland skies.

The one game that sticks in my mind is APB. There was this mechanic where you would ticket minor offenders by first driving behind them and activating your siren to get them to pull over. It had more of a top down perspective but I could imagine that working here . IIRC there was like a crosshairs that you had to keep lined up over their car (in terms of implementation that could be an extension of the player's sprite)

that's not a bad idea.

8 hours ago, gliptitude said:

I think it might be cool to have scrolling color bars in the sky too, like you have in the grass.

Another crazy idea and maybe concept-breaker too, is to have a road above in sky that matches the footprint of road on the ground and has upside down cars on it. The police car is able to jump between roads and needs to dodge the other cars in so doing.

I think reason I randomly went that way is that I was previously thinking about how the screen seems to be evenly divided in half. My more practical response to that is to suggest that the horizon be further up in the screen so you have more room for road graphics and elements that are interactive. .. But I guess then it occurs to me it could kind of be interesting if the screen is divided in half like it is and has a good reason to be, like crazy upside down thing.

I don't remember the Turbo game or if maybe it had great big sky. Racing/3D driving games I have in mind are Night Driver, Pole Position and Enduro. Setting aside my crazier ideas, I do think all of those use more screen area for the roadway with a higher on the screen horizon.

But I did get lost and swept away watching the video and thinking about it and getting crazy. Several aspects reminded me of Space Harrier arcade, the color bar scrolling as well as the techno looking mountains as you've drawn them. Making the sky or ceiling scroll color bars, (originally it occurs because the clouds scroll and I didn't notice or keep in mind until second or third viewing) would be more Space Harrier like, but besides just look cool.

If jumping car idea is at all in the same universe as you and this game, you might check out Up N' Down, or recall it if you already know. I've only played the 2600 version, which is clunky but quite fun. Not 3D perspective view though.

I'd like to see different color combinations attempted for everything besides maybe the police car. At least I would try different colors if it is possible.

The Atari 2600 is quite limited, but some things could possibly be implemented. Here, I probably won't be able to create more than three levels, referring to differently designed racing tracks.

• Like 1

So I'm wondering. To catch a criminal car, perhaps you have to get ahead of them and then in front of them which would count as automatically catching them. On the road might be the usual traffic and if you don't have your flashing lights on, you are driving perhaps just slightly faster than the speed limit - just like in real life. People tend to slow down underneath the limit when they see a cop driving behind them or next to them. Cops tend to speed a bit. Whenever you see a criminal car - however indicated - flashing or downward pointing arrow above their car - you turn on the lights. Turning on the lights also makes your car start to accelerate. Half of the regular road traffic will get out of your way, but some stupid drivers won't, so you have to dodge them. Depending on the code, the criminal AI could be a good driver and avoid all traffic. You just have to be good too and get ahead of them. Just like many such games of course - if you hit the sides, you slow down and so you have to catch up again. If you lose sight of the criminal - they've escaped and you take a hit. Maybe if possible, you could have a criminal leaning out of the window shooting at your or a criminal standing on the side of the road shooting at you. You dodge the bullet. Perhaps squish the standing criminal - just like in real life... for extra points. :P Other obstacles could be oil slicks on road which slow you down or bombs that criminal car lobs out of window. I know that may or may not fit in the limited code.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...