Some updates:

• More bug fixes
  • Optimization of the routines that animate the cars
  • Optimization of the routines for scores/timer
  • Graphic tweaks to the numbers used for scores/timer
  • Color change at the 10-seconds left mark
  • Graphical tweaks to the sidewalks and median for perspective
  • Tweaks to the sounds

JS7800 Link: https://raz0red.github.io/js7800/?cart=https://forums.atariage.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=973742&key=43c7cbebbc25191d0ae36d743a3a8301

freeway_088.78b.a78 freeway_088.78b.bin

Edited by saxmeister
  • Like 5

Some more chickens 🙃,

I guess it would be cool to have a different colored chicken for the 2nd player so there..

I have also included a new puff of smoke.

chicken-8.gif.e6ebff3b61703f1a8a49a9f18b52c23e.gif

There seem to be something wrong with the cars.. I can't pinpoint it exactly,

going by eye, the car sprite is still 16 pixels wide but shrunk to 12 pixels height, am I right ?

if yes, they need to be redrawn

Edited by TIX
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I began experimenting with 320 modes for this. I first thought about a monochromatic 320A that would look like a grown up Gameboy version, but I attempted some 320C multicolor goodness to see how it would look.

There are some things to iron out and the palette limitation will be problematic, but I can work around these things. I've started from scratch on the artwork for this resolution and see where I am going to have to make some tweaks.  But, if I can pull off 320C, then I may do that.

Screenshot from 2022-10-20 02-05-19.png

Edited by saxmeister
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, saxmeister said:

I began experimenting with 320 modes for this. I first thought about a monochromatic 320A that would look like a grown up Gameboy version, but I attempted some 320C multicolor goodness to see how it would look.

There are some things to iron out and the palette limitation will be problematic, but I can work around these things. I've started from scratch on the artwork for this resolution and see where I am going to have to make some tweaks.  But, if I can pull off 320C, then I may do that.

Screenshot from 2022-10-20 02-05-19.png

I love the high resolution! One option to get more colors is to use different palettes for each horizontal zone, it works very well with this type of playing field.

post-18-0-89015500-1500558341.thumb.png.a8f71b9cc296e28cead27e4cac71dc15.png

• Like 2

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Freeway on TODAY's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

1768800432_20221021-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.ce9815e82f8f83250865b6367cd24c2e.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

Hey @ZeroPage Homebrew, make sure that you know these two things before playing my game:

1. There's a level select (On title screen) by holding select

2. Start the game by pressing a direction

Thanks. I know this is the wrong post. 

Why are you posting this in the Freeway thread? 

Would it not make more sense to post this in your own project thread? I'm sure anyone playing your game would find them useful. 

@ZeroPage Homebrew thanks for playing this one as well! It's so much fun to see you guys play.

Feedback I heard:

• The hit box with 3/4, semi-3D view still needs some massaging. I started out completely top-down and it has morphed a bit.
  • Original vs 7800: On the original Freeway the chicken got knocked back a bit on regular difficulty, but on hard difficulty the chicken was sent back to the bottom of the screen. So there is more code to add for this functionality.
  • 320: I'm already working on the 320 mode with all new graphics
  • Different cars: I have artwork I have been working on for different cars, ambulances, trucks, school buses, etc. that will be included
  • Cars adjusting their speed: This is another item to add. I'm working on some random events including speed changes, ambulance/firetruck emergencies, and maybe some other items.

I appreciate Tix's artwork. He is a phenomenal artist and I appreciate all he has contributed. We will see what happens as this game morphs with the artwork and the style.

Someone mentioned Barenaked Ladies in the chat. Oddly enough, former bandleader Stephen Page was filming his "Illegal Eaters" TV show here in North Carolina, where I live, and I ran into him. Such a surreal thing!

And when you mentioned ketchup chips! Yum! To fully allow Americans to appreciate them you could call them "Eastern BBQ" or "Lexington BBQ" chips and it would work. Near where I live we have Piedmont/Lexington style BBQ which is basically vinegar and ketchup with some peppers. It is delicious. I would eat those. ;)

And I hate that I missed the message or I would have jumped in on Twitch to watch live. Thanks, guys! Much appreciated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have to remember not to test things when I am way too tired.  

I spent a while testing this last night, wondering why I couldn't move left or right.  (I apparently didn't remember the original Freeway as well as I thought.) 

No one else was commenting about the "issue," so it must be something on my system.

Not sure how I missed: 

• Possibly add moving left and right (again, Frogger territory)

from the first post...

Then I went to check the original Freeway...  OOOOHHHHHHH...  Of course!!!  D'OH!

Great looking port so far...  ;-);-)  ;-) 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, desiv said:

I have to remember not to test things when I am way too tired.  

I spent a while testing this last night, wondering why I couldn't move left or right.  (I apparently didn't remember the original Freeway as well as I thought.) 

No one else was commenting about the "issue," so it must be something on my system.

Not sure how I missed: 

• Possibly add moving left and right (again, Frogger territory)

from the first post...

Then I went to check the original Freeway...  OOOOHHHHHHH...  Of course!!!  D'OH!

Great looking port so far...  ;-);-)  ;-) 

In some of my games, you will find "DONTMAKEGAMESAT??:??" or something like that. It basically says I was programming at that time.

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2022 at 10:53 PM, saxmeister said:
  • 320: I'm already working on the 320 mode with all new graphics

I appreciate Tix's artwork. He is a phenomenal artist and I appreciate all he has contributed. We will see what happens as this game morphs with the artwork and the style.

Hey @saxmeister,

thanks for the good word,

don't feel bad for not using my sprite set, I occasionally tend to butt into projects when it's something I love..

they all go to my archive anyway !

Nevertheless I couldn't miss the chance to draw a 16x16 version just for fun  😉

hd-chicken-19.gif.e4dd89b699bb43e336dc4aa6338fa3fb.gif

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TIX said:

Hey @saxmeister,

thanks for the good word,

don't feel bad for not using my sprite set, I occasionally tend to butt into projects when it's something I love..

they all go to my archive anyway !

Nevertheless I couldn't miss the chance to draw a 16x16 version just for fun  😉

hd-chicken-19.gif.e4dd89b699bb43e336dc4aa6338fa3fb.gif

Great sprites, TIX.
However, your chickens need an update to work in 320C mode, as each pair of pixels must include the same color or one color + the background color. It requires patience because you need to manually check each pair of pixels but in some circumstances it can be more versatile and colorful than the 320B mode.

Regarding animation, I would like to suggest using three frames instead of the current two, in order to make the animation a little slower and more progressive to help distinguish the detail better. Thank you.

1040752416_320C-Copia.thumb.PNG.8920c206ea0c1844e26ae035073b8fa0.PNG

7800Galaga320Cmodevs.PNG.3bb66915c431ecd301f3ae58dc85ec74.PNG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Great sprites, TIX.
However, your chickens need an update to work in 320C mode, as each pair of pixels must include the same color or one color + the background color. It requires patience because you need to manually check each pair of pixels but in some circumstances it can be more versatile and colorful than the 320B mode.

Thanks man,

I have to admit I don't know the first think about the technical limitations of the 7800, I just churn out sprites and wing it from there.. 😮

3 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Regarding animation, I would like to suggest using three frames instead of the current two, in order to make the animation a little slower and more progressive to help distinguish the detail better. Thank you.

It's actually a 4 frames sequence..  just animated too fast !

Edited by TIX
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 12:53 PM, saxmeister said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew thanks for playing this one as well! It's so much fun to see you guys play.

On 10/22/2022 at 12:53 PM, saxmeister said:

And I hate that I missed the message or I would have jumped in on Twitch to watch live. Thanks, guys! Much appreciated.

You're so welcome, it was a lot of fun to play your port of a classic game! Sorry you missed watching it live, it was definitely a last minute posting about the game lineup for the show, usually I post about it the day before. Looking forward to playing more of your games on the stream in the future!

- James

• Like 3