New bicolour game: El Stompo.

edited February 2015 in Brand new software
Phew! Finally finished my first game using Einar's fantastic Nirvana engine.

El Stompo.

screensample0_zps99383ac6.pngscreensample3_zpsdd397b75.pngscreensample1_zps95b44e15.png

You are El Stompo, TV repair thing of some considerable repute. Your job is very hazardous but you are very skilled. Fix all the tellies on each level by stomping on them, sounds easy? Well with a lethal mix of arcade and puzzle you'll find yourselves challenged.

Google link.

Mediafire link.

If anyone wants to host somewhere better then please do.

35 Levels. Infinite lives. Refinable keys. You'll probably find the restart button useful.

Thanks to everyone who helped test :)

One note - I know this game is crying out for AY music. At some stage I will probably do this, just not yet.
Post edited by R-Tape on
Thanked by 1Mark R. Jones

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Fantastic screenshots, firing up now!
    R-Tape wrote: »
    One note - I know this game is crying out for AY music. At some stage I will probably do this, just not yet.

How about this as a starting point?

The comp.sys.sinclair crap games competition 2015
    "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."
  • edited April 2014
    Great game, cute characters!
  • edited April 2014
    This is ace.. The bicolour looks great, but to top it all off, it's fiendishly addictive..!

Have made it up to level 15 so far...

Loving the cartoony graphics and animations. :-D
  • edited April 2014
    R-tape you made a hit again. It's a really great game. The only down is that all that colour makes it hardly recognizable as a spectrum game. The addition of music would be the icing of the cake

Good job!
  • edited April 2014
    my fave bit is the little tv screens :-D
  • edited April 2014
    I cannot believe I am stilltrying to make games...!!!

FANTASTIC STUFF!! and well I am going out of business :D
    Find my (mostly unfinished) games here
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694367894143130/
  • edited April 2014
    I love this sort of arcade puzzle anyway but love the graphics (in particular the TV animations). Brilliant!
    Morkin wrote: »
    Have made it up to level 15 so far...

Ha, funny how you're good at this and crap at Flappy Bird, and with me it's the other way round :lol:
  • edited April 2014
    Quite good.
  • I think this might be your best game yet!
  • edited April 2014
    Nice! Great graphics (best spectrum graphics yet ? ) and good gameplay.
  • edited April 2014
    I like it!
  • edited April 2014
    Just finished it after few hours, end is really surprising! Very good game, thanks!
  • edited April 2014
    Great graphics and gameplay - very glad that there seems to be unlimited lives.
    Well done !
  • edited April 2014
    Up to Level 14 so far - have to stop as I'm out of laptop battery! Love how each level is a different mini puzzle. Level 13 with its collapsing platforms reminded me of The Vat or The Warehouse in MM, and Level 14's reminding me of Booty (the game, not someone's arse)
  • edited April 2014
    all things sweet over these 10 first levels, i love how the stompy frog gets squashed after falling from a great height, also the fast basterds that look like human pups doing a headstand, seeing a foxy squirrel I thought it was a joke and tried to give the banana to her, so far every new puzzle is welcome because one expects a change in gameplay and colour composition, even for me the game seems casual, i wonder from where all will go south ;-)
  • edited April 2014
    This game has everything i like in a game: great graphics and animation, fast action (I LOVE LEVEL 5!! it is like Q-BERT crossed with some other thing i cannot remember what it is), a little bit (not too much) of puzzle, humor ...WOW!!!!

I wonder if this is the dawn of a new era for zx games (pretty much like the advent of colour in movies)! And ..well I just wish there was a game designing tool that would use Nirvana!!
  • edited April 2014
    Impressive!!! I'm gonna try this on my speccy!
  • edited April 2014
    NICE!
    Absolutely briliant game!
    We need more bicolor games!
    And i'm also have another one in develompent ;)
    If anyone wants to host somewhere better then please do.

Just upload it to my site:

http://www.retrosouls.net/zx/ElStompo.tap

Keep a good work!
  • edited April 2014
    Tried on the real ZX Spectrum!!!
    It looks wonderful! And it's also so damn addictive! Excellent! I'm gonna share this with friends!

photo.php?fbid=368050306670733&set=p.368050306670733&type=1&theater
  • edited April 2014
    WE NEED A NIRVANA ACTION GAME WITH HONEY VENOM!!

Spectrum wrote: »
    Tried on the real ZX Spectrum!!!
    It looks wonderful! And it's also so damn addictive! Excellent! I'm gonna share this with friends!

photo.php?fbid=368050306670733&set=p.368050306670733&type=1&theater
  • edited April 2014
    Proper old school style platform game. The tellys remind me of the game play in Video Meanies on the Commodore 16, though this is quite a different experience.

Love the colour, and the whole experience. Games rarely looked as good as this back in the day.
  • edited April 2014
    Fantastic game you have surpassed yourself this time,nice one mate.
  • edited April 2014
    Cheers for the comments all. Glad you like it! And people already seeing the end of game treat? :o
    leespoons wrote: »
    Level 13 with its collapsing platforms reminded me of The Vat or The Warehouse in MM, and Level 14's reminding me of Booty (the game, not someone's arse)

Good call - while doing the level design I did look over a lot of game maps. A couple were inspired by certain games - you spotted the Vat, and there is also a level 1 from Chuckie Egg in there. Didn't specifically have Booty in mind though (the game or bottoms).
    hikoki wrote: »
    also the fast basterds that look like human pups doing a headstand

Comorrrlll?!* Do you mean the magenta ones that are statues when not chasing? Anyway - I like your insane explanation :-D

(*that does mean whaaaaaat? doesn't it?)
    NICE!

Just upload it to my site:

http://www.retrosouls.net/zx/ElStompo.tap

Keep a good work!

Ta Denis.
  • edited April 2014
    Good call - while doing the level design I did look over a lot of game maps. A couple were inspired by certain games - you spotted the Vat, and there is also a level 1 from Chuckie Egg in there. Didn't specifically have Booty in mind though (the game or bottoms).

It was the way you have to collect the eggs to get past the gorillas, and the fact that some of the eggs were behind gorillas, that reminded me of Booty (substitute eggs and gorillas for keys and doors)

I want another go on it! Stuck at work though and my saved snapshot is at home (hey, we get infy lives anyway so it's not cheating). Plus I should be doing some work really. Ahem.
  • edited April 2014
    It was the way you have to collect the eggs to get past the gorillas, and the fact that some of the eggs were behind gorillas, that reminded me of Booty (substitute eggs and gorilas for keys and doors)

I want another go on it! Stuck at work though and my saved snapshot is at home (hey, we get infy lives anyway so it's not cheating). Plus I should be doing some work really. Ahem.

Eggs?! Gorillas?! For shame! They're bananas and monkeys!

EDIT - actually I can understand the Gorilla.
    Plus I should be doing some work really. Ahem.

Heh I know what you mean. I usually play speccy games at work during breaks, but that's when people usually seem to find me in the office - so they must think I use an emulated spectrum all day long :-D
  • edited April 2014
    Eggs?! Gorillas?! For shame! They're bananas and monkeys!

I've seen the bananas, but did I dream the level with loads of platforms and ladders, with eggs in and loads of "guardian" animals who disappear when you feed them the eggs, and a baddie who follows you around? Level 14 or 15 I think?

Perhaps I just got the animal wrong?
  • edited April 2014
    Is this 'Nirvana' engine hard to program?
  • edited April 2014
    screensample1_zps95b44e15.png

bottom left, the green thing, is this not a (green) egg?

edit - oh I see, it's supposed to be an acorn. Acorns and squirrels. I blame the home-made wine.

If it's any consolation, I noticed Trap Door on the tiny tellies straight away :)
  • edited April 2014
    On that screen I was convinced for a while that you had to kill the snail with the salt.. :lol:
  • edited April 2014
    WE NEED A NIRVANA ACTION GAME WITH HONEY VENOM!!

LOL!

Dunno about using the Nirvana engine, but something colourful is in the pipeline...

WTW5_png.png