New Game - Strange Kitchen (Boriel version)

Further Greetings, O People of the Spectrum!

This is Strange Kitchen written in Boriel ZX Basic. You have to prepare recipes by destroying unwanted ingredients! You might find the game to be annoying and you have to pay attention, otherwise the recipe will be ruined. If you think that's bad, just be thankful you don't have Gordon Ramsey shouting at you as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2v06uei0e9ppl0n/StrangeKitchen.tap?dl=0

There are 15 levels split over 4 parts, you can restart at a part if you've reached it before. Finish all levels in one game for the ultimate challenge!!

If you can't stand the heat...!

Last year I wrote a Beta version of Strange Kitchen in normal Basic + CharADE, you might have seen it on the CharADE thread. I didn't think it was good enough to release "officially", it didn't really show the game or CharADE brilliantly (Sorry, Joefish!). But I found Boriel Basic recently and I'm happier with this new version.

(Also I did test a version where the player had 3 lives but I thought this made the game too easy!)
(PS The Android version has more recipes and more ingredients...and is a little more forgiving in the early levels!)
Thanked by 1abelenki

Comments

• great presentation, bit easy in the earlier levels, havent gotten to a higher level yet
  • yeah it starts easy but the first few levels are just an introduction!
  • Hi, It's difficult but rather entertaining. Well done.

Would you consider releasing the source code? Boriel is something I would like to look at in the future.

Thanks
  • Thanks for the comments. Hmmm the source code...thing is I'm not exactly "proud" of a lot if it! It was a rush job and the code's not very pretty: wasted memory, dodgy variable naming, careless reuse of variables, declarations all over the place,lots of failed code left behind in REM statements,build warnings .... I could go on! I didn't really plan the game, I just adapted the Sinclair BASIC version I did last year...it was a case of "that seems to work, move on before I get too bored/irritated to finish it"
    However, it does show the power of Boriel BASIC and my learning journey through it, from line numbers to labels and possibly it even supports functions with parameters? (The 42/64 column printing is supplied with Boriel and called with parameters to functions). 4 weeks ago I'd never used Boriel. I might prefer to clean it up a bit before releasing it, just so it makes more sense to others (& myself in the future if I come back to it)

So the short answer is, yes I'll consider releasing it but it's a horrible in places right now!

Have you seen this site... this has Boriel projects, some with released source
    http://www.boriel.com/wiki/en/index.php/ZX_BASIC:Released_Programs
  • fun game with some nice touches
  • Thanks, I really enjoyed doing it and am pleased with the results. I've always wanted to make a machine code game (since about 1984). If I actually had to learn how to proper machine code/assembly, it would probably have taken another 32 years but Boriel Basic made it happen
  • Awesomeness! And I'm having a proud daddy moment, if you used some of the 42/64 column code, as I hacked that into the compiler originally.

Still fond of Boriel's ZX basic. It's a great project.
  • Thanks for the comment and of course thanks for contributing to Boriel Basic.
    Yeah it's good how Boriel can #include other modules. I think I read somewhere that "Boriel doesn't support objects....yet" which is another interesting development that might appear some day!