New Game: Double Bubble

Hi, i want to share a little game i've been working on. It's my first try to make a game : /
It's simple, you control a bubble and have to touch and guide the other bubble to the exit
of each screen. Be careful with spikes, enemies and time. You can increase you time picking
up the clocks.

h_1462979054_5252123_3e8d757024.png
h_1462979051_9629417_5a65f37871.png
h_1462979049_6011243_c126441adb.png
h_1462979049_8332611_715c375d42.png
h_1462979048_8589983_5a3aaf8cf7.png

https://dropbox.com/s/makbkdo2zg4z7is/Double%20Bubble.zip?dl=0

Comments

• I downloaded this a few minutes ago and I immediately got hooked.
    Great gameplay, superb graphics!
  • Did you create it from scratch or with a AGD?
    ZX Spectrum +2 & PicoDiv SD,
    Timex 2048 & divIDE 57c
  • A very nice and playable game. Thank you for sharing.
  • I love the continued flow of top quality games. This is another cracker! Thank you
  • Thanks, mate.
  • edited June 2016
    Brilliant game, thanks!

Small niggle but would have liked each level to begin in a paused state so you can assess what to do.

Hope you don't mind, I've turned into a right softy and will be playing with infy lives.

Spoiler:

PopoCop wrote: »
    Did you create it from scratch or with a AGD?

Looks like AGD.
    Post edited by R-Tape on
  • PopoCop wrote: »
    AGD

• Noooo! INVISIBLE BLOODY PLATFORMS, worst idea ever.

I enjoyed levels 1-20 though.

• finish at 25
    Thanked by 1R-Tape
  • edited June 2016
    Yes, it is made in AGD. It's my first try :) and i have to learn a lot of things.
    R-Tape wrote: »
    Noooo! INVISIBLE BLOODY PLATFORMS, worst idea ever.
    I enjoyed levels 1-20 though.

I was hesitating until the last moment if solved that way the last five levels,
    but i think they are not the hardest.
    Post edited by Miguetelo on
  • PopoCop wrote: »
    yes, its agd

• edited June 2016
    Miguetelo wrote: »
    Yes, it is made in AGD. It's my first try :) and i have to learn a lot of things.

Very enjoyable game, especially for a first.

I'm glad they were easy but the last 5 invisible platform levels were superfluous.

Post edited by R-Tape on
  • Good game!!
  • Looks great. Love the graphics. :)
    Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • edited June 2016
    Game is nice and reminds me JetPac and other similar rocket propelled with gravity types of gameplay.

Indirect control, is usually a good source of good game play.

It's somewhat hard, sometimes infuriating :)
    I would swear sometimes I did not hit the spike (visually), but died anyway :P

Could you be checking collision first, before render ?
    With physics acceleration, one can jump several pixels, which provides for cases where we burst, but never seen/drawn bubble touch the spike. Or it could be you are just doing 8x8 square box collision checking.

P.S.
    Your Loading screen needs some TLC. The Bubbles seem like "Fur balls", and not bubbles.
    Post edited by RMartins on
  • Great wee game, nice and colourful, and the difficulty's pitched just right.
  • Yes it's 8x8, but i tried to reduce the collision distance to the minimun, but sometimes if the movement is very close... [-O<
    Yes, the making the Loading Screen was a bit frustrating... if anyone is encouraged, I would be happy.
    I've seen real Artists here.
    RMartins wrote: »
    Game is nice and reminds me JetPac and other similar rocket propelled with gravity types of gameplay.

Indirect control, is usually a good source of good game play.

It's somewhat hard, sometimes infuriating :)
    I would swear sometimes I did not hit the spike (visually), but died anyway :P

Could you be checking collision first, before render ?
    With physics acceleration, one can jump several pixels, which provides for cases where we burst, but never seen/drawn bubble touch the spike. Or it could be you are just doing 8x8 square box collision checking.

P.S.
    Your Loading screen needs some TLC. The Bubbles seem like "Fur balls", and not bubbles.

• Very nice! It's good to see people stretching what is possible with AGD.
  • edited June 2016
    Yes, the making the Loading Screen was a bit frustrating... if anyone is encouraged, I would be happy.

I'm really busy right now, but if no one steps up to the plate, I can WIP something up later on.

NOTE: You should check what's up with TZX file, since I can only load using .TAP. Used Zero emulator.
  • oh!! Thanks mate!
    I'll check the tzx issue, i use fuse in mac and works. I'm gonna try another emulator.

I'm really busy right now, but if no one steps up to the plate, I can WIP something up later on.

NOTE: You should check what's up with TZX file, since I can only load using .TAP. Used Zero emulator.

• edited June 2016
    Just did a quick WIP, with some relatively quick fixes and clean up on some parts.
    Reviewed eyes and their glow, and cleaned its teeth :)
    I haven't touched the "fur" yet.

DoubleBubble_V1.png

But for this to look better, we should compose image with some more elements, and replace or remove those small bubbles, with some game references, like spikes and similar stuff.

Anyway, just to get you a start idea.
  • Fantastic! Do you need some material? sprites, ...
    Just did a quick WIP, with some relatively quick fixes and clean up on some parts.
    Reviewed eyes and their glow, and cleaned its teeth :)
    I haven't touched the "fur" yet.

DoubleBubble_V1.png

But for this to look better, we should compose image with some more elements, and replace or remove those small bubbles, with some game references, like spikes and similar stuff.

Anyway, just to get you a start idea.

• now that's a beautiful game!
    thanks for sharing it
    Find my (mostly unfinished) games here
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694367894143130/
  • Awesome game, very well suited to AGD and nicely presented. Only had time to try a few levels, but it seems that it'll be a challenge, need my trusty joystick and real speccy to get through this I think.
  • Nice game, difficult as a good old speccy game!

=D>
  • edited June 2016
    Fantastic! Do you need some material? sprites, ...

Thanks, but it was just a face lift :)

If you can supply sprites or other material (concept drawings, story of the game, the ideia behind it, etc...), or something like that, it will make it easier.

Send me a PM about it.

• Loading screen - the 2 bubble characters be in the same style as Sneaky Sugar from the Cookie artwork - just with the circles closer together. Similar to a blackberry (the fruit!) with some crafty eyes and a smile. -
    A quick google
    http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/ripe-cartoon-blackberries-fruits-characters-juicy-funny-berries-big-lush-green-stalks-carved-leaves-isolated-white-55400539.jpg
    maybe without the hands.
  • edited June 2016
    I believe they are just bubbles :)
    Eyes and smiley mouth, is only to give them some loving charm.

It would be nice for them to have fur, in-game, something similar to those flowers that have a seed that floats in the wind, that looks like a cotton spike/ball. Don't know the name in English. It's fairly common in the country side.

But they look just like transparent soap bubbles, from my perspective.

EDIT: http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo-seed-head-dandelion-taraxacum-found-nature-environment-image46590937

• They are soup bubbles, i'm agree with the idea of charming faces, one dared and the other a step back and a little bit worried. The screen you posted with the bubbles looking like bubbles (not fur) is good. Maybe some spikes, a clock, bats (or some enemies) some in front, some behind. I'll try to make a scheme tomorrow. :)
    Thanks again