New Release: Castle Defender

ChrisB

New Release: Castle Defender

Post by ChrisB »

Announcing Castle Defender the BBC Micro’s only* tower defence game.
promoscreen.png
  • Use your skill and judgement to place three types of defensive towers to protect your castles from attack.
  • Featuring 75K of original high resolution mode 1 graphics over four levels of machine code action!
  • Can you defend the castles and get a new high score?
Available now for disk based BBC Micro B/B+ and Master systems here:
CastleDefenderV2.zip
(43.42 KiB) Downloaded 743 times
Link for online play:
http://bbcmicro.co.uk/jsbeeb/play.php?a ... nderV2.ssd

Please leave comments, reviews, links to let's play videos, offers of TV appearances :wink: and anything else in this thread.

Edit : New updated version 2 - Release notes here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12894&p=167913#p167913

Edit : Version 3 uploaded. No changes to gameplay but it now has an attract mode where it "plays" the game if you leave it alone for 30 seconds at the high score page. Since this will access the disk each time it does this I've left V2 available which might be "nicer" on real hardware.
CastleDefenderV3.zip
(42.24 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
*AFAIK at the time of writing...
Last edited by ChrisB on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase
ChrisB

Re: New Release: Castle Defender

Post by ChrisB »

The status area shows a lot of information. There are two basic formats one for when the cursor is over and empty space and one for when a tower is selected. Here’s what all the bits mean:
Status Explanation.png
  1. Number of lives remaining.
  2. Amount of gold available to spend.
  3. Current Score.
  4. Health of this enemy type in this wave.
  5. Shield capacity of this enemy type in this wave.
  6. Each of the tower types that you can build.
  7. Amount of health damage per hit that this tower type does.
  8. Amount of shield damage per hit that this tower does.
  9. Range of this tower.
  10. Rate of fire of this tower.Lower is faster. Higher is faster
  11. Cost to build this tower.
  12. Health of the enemy nearest the castle.
  13. Shield strength of the enemy nearest the castle.
  14. Number of enemies left in this wave.
  15. This line shows the statistics of the currently selected tower.
  16. This line shows the statistics that an upgraded tower would have.
  17. Tower statistics including the cost to upgrade.
Last edited by ChrisB on Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase
tricky

Post by tricky »

That's a great game with beautiful graphics.
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

:shock: =D> =D> =D>
very nice 8)
ImageImageImage
Deleted User 9118

Post by Deleted User 9118 »

Beautiful game and strangely addictive!

=D> =D> =D> =D>
FourthStone

Post by FourthStone »

Congratulations! Very nice game, the attention to detail is awesome with great gameplay, beautiful graphics and very impressive the amount of moving sprites and everything seems nice and smooth. I really wish the loading screen would stay a bit longer to appreciate it more :D

After a couple of learning rounds I scored 21k and progress 20%, I really had to think about tower placement and when to upgrade and I didn't even get to use tower 3 yet as any spare coin has been spent on upgrades as soon as they're available just to stay in the game. Awesome balance of tactics :-k

Well done and great to see all the progress over the past few months come together into a really nice game =D>
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

I'm basically rubbish at this type of game, but wow, I can certainly appreciate the fine craftsmanship! Congratulations!

=D> =D> =D>

Here's a link for online play (but let me know if you'd prefer me to remove it):
  • [See Chris's post, above, for link]
:idea:
Last edited by lurkio on Mon May 08, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Really enjoying this, I can clear the first level without missing a single "nasty", but haven't killed a single one on level 2.
I guess I need to go and study the shield/health stats a bit more.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Glad people are enjoying this. The direct link isn't a problem but you may need to update it if there's a version 2.

If there is shield present on the nasties the amount of shield is subtracted from the damage done. So unless you have a tower with a very high damage then you're unlikely to damage the enemies until you wear their shields down. Tower type 2 does primarily shield damage so these are probably what you want to use. Tower type 3 does both but is expensive....
mygrandmawheels

Post by mygrandmawheels »

This game is a perfect mix of graphics, sound, and playability!!
If I was still 14, and living in 1987 (at the time I owned an Italian clone of a Master Compact), I would gone crazy with it!

Anyway, a very well done piece of software even nowadays!
Great, great, great!
=D> =D> =D>
hexwab

Post by hexwab »

And completed. This really is a lovely game.

I found it a lot less frustrating once I figured out the control scheme. AFAICT, up and down move only between slots with the same X position (with wraparound), whereas left and right cycle through all the slots, by X position first then by Y position. I found myself not using up and down at all, picking one of left or right at random and pressing it repeatedly until the slot I wanted was in focus. It's hard to see where is currently selected once slots are occupied (maybe the crosshairs could be enlarged?) so I ended up looking at only the slot I wanted without regard to the current position. I longed for a pointing device.

Being able to see the upgrade status of your towers at a glance would be useful. Perhaps they could gain flags or something?

I was surprised by the lack of different palettes for different levels, and wistful at the lack of a detailed MODE 1 victory scene :)

More documentation would be nice. How about a big table of all the towers and their stats as part of the instructions? The shield mechanics should be explained in-game (reading "if there is shield present on the nasties the amount of shield is subtracted from the damage done" was a lightbulb moment). Also how does the scoring work? Do you get bonus points for lives left? Gold remaining at the end of a level? And a typo: "exiting tower" -> "existing". (And why is "Highscore" one word but "Last score" two?)

Having lower rates be faster seems odd. Maybe call it "reload time"? Or display the reciprocal? Similarly, having "Shld" in tower stats be the amount of shield damage done confused me initially; I thought the towers themselves had shields (to not be damaged and/or destroyed by enemies that shoot back).

Gameplay: there seems no point in buying level 1 towers unless you literally cannot afford anything else (i.e. the first two towers you buy). Upgrading level 1 towers seems similarly unnecessary. Maybe it would be worth unlocking the staple of tower three only later on? I like the idea of having a bit of backstory as to what the towers are (archers? artillery?) and the nature of the enemies (maybe they could be named? it's hard to tell what they are supposed to be by looking, except when it's a SNAKE! AAHHHH, IT'S A SNAKE!). A bit of a pause (keypress?) to take in a new level for the first time and check out slot placement, gold, enemy stats &c. before nasties start coming at you might be a good opportunity to show off such information (although fitting it on screen might be a problem).

Technical: In b-em emulating a model B the split palette seems to have occasional glitches. Master is rock-solid. (There seems to be Master-specific code. I imagine you're tight on memory but have you considered employing swram to avoid disc activity every wave?) Also you black out the palette when loading the title screen but not when loading level screens. (And should you want to go all-out on palette-blacking, avoiding having this[1] displayed briefly when starting a new game would add even more polish to an already polished game!)

Tom.

[1] Image
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Hi Tom - Thanks for taking the time to comment - and play the game!
AFAICT, up and down move only between slots with the same X position (with wraparound), whereas left and right cycle through all the slots, by X position first then by Y position.
Yes - it does work that way. It was a limitation on the way the towers are stored and my coding around that.
I longed for a pointing device.
It was one of the challenges of moving to a platform that didn't have these as standard. Similarly the ability to quickly see an enemy status.
maybe the crosshairs could be enlarged?
I did experiment with alternate colours - and visibility is the reason that they now flash.
Being able to see the upgrade status of your towers at a glance would be useful. Perhaps they could gain flags or something?
The towers gain a number of red block beneath them to indicate their level (0 to 3).
I was surprised by the lack of different palettes for different levels, and wistful at the lack of a detailed MODE 1 victory scene :)
The graphics were very kindly provided by Dethmunk and I didn't ask for a victory screen. Different pallets per level were an option but it wasn't something that he felt he needed. He's made feel of the levels get progressively more "evil". Working with level 4 for a while it's surprising how green level 1 looks.
More documentation would be nice.
I didn't have space at the time of the documentation for much text - but the restriction has since been lifted. This is a comment that has come up elsewhere. It seems instructions are hard...
Also how does the scoring work? Do you get bonus points for lives left? Gold remaining at the end of a level?
Yes and Yes - although lives are worth far more than gold.
And a typo: "exiting tower" -> "existing". (And why is "Highscore" one word but "Last score" two?)
:oops: I'll have to fire the proof reader.... ;)
Having lower rates be faster seems odd. Maybe call it "reload time"? Or display the reciprocal? Similarly, having "Shld" in tower stats be the amount of shield damage done confused me initially; I thought the towers themselves had shields (to not be damaged and/or destroyed by enemies that shoot back).
As you can probably guess internally the rate is the number of ticks between firing so lower means faster. "Reload" is an interesting idea but I don't have many pixels. It might be alleviated by more instructions.
Gameplay: there seems no point in buying level 1 towers unless you literally cannot afford anything else (i.e. the first two towers you buy). Upgrading level 1 towers seems similarly unnecessary. Maybe it would be worth unlocking the staple of tower three only later on?
I struggled with this quite a bit. Not having ever written something like this before working out how to balance the thing was a challenge. Indeed I re-jigged most of the data about a week before release after I found a way to simply spam the levels with a few high level type 1 towers. I'd be interested in seeing how you play it.
I like the idea of having a bit of backstory as to what the towers are (archers? artillery?) and the nature of the enemies (maybe they could be named? it's hard to tell what they are supposed to be by looking, except when it's a SNAKE! AAHHHH, IT'S A SNAKE!).
I've played a bit loose with the enemy types in that they have different stats (and ratios of stats) on different levels. The sprites did have names - just they never got used:
spritenames.PNG
A bit of a pause (keypress?) to take in a new level for the first time and check out slot placement, gold, enemy stats &c. before nasties start coming at you might be a good opportunity to show off such information (although fitting it on screen might be a problem).
Not sure I'd be able to display the information given memory constraints. I did consider adding a pause but it never made it in - You do get a bit of time on a new level but there's no pause between waves. If the game were so "pause" at this point you would probably expect to be able to move and place initial towers and my head couldn't reconcile the internal logic. #-o
Technical: In b-em emulating a model B the split palette seems to have occasional glitches. Master is rock-solid.
I've not totally gone without the OS - which probably causes the glitches and my interrupt code is probably not the best. It seems better some times than others.
I imagine you're tight on memory but have you considered employing swram to avoid disc activity every wave?
It's not something I've ever played with and there seem to be quite a few variants out there. Whereas the disc isn't ideal I saw it as "good enough" - and it works without swram ;)
Also you black out the palette when loading the title screen but not when loading level screens.
Yes - It was something I thought about but never implemented. I wasn't sure how having the screen blank would look.
(And should you want to go all-out on palette-blacking, avoiding having this[1] displayed briefly when starting a new game would add even more polish to an already polished game!)
That's the OS changing screen mode - and it is only momentarily. I did consider clearing the data first but never implemented it.

Thanks again for taking the time - Chris.
ctr

Post by ctr »

This is excellent. I have already spent far too long playing it.

I thought the gameplay on the first two levels was well judged. Level one is easy once you figure out what you are doing, but it is the intro and it took me a while. I still haven't completed level two with full lives. Levels three and four were fun but I completed them the first time I finished level two. They could be harder.

An indication on the final screen of whether you destroyed all the enemies would give something extra to aim for. Perhaps subtract some fraction of the total number of surviving enemies from the percentage so you'd need to get all of them to score 100%.

The thing I don't like is the arrow key controls and the subtlety of the cursor. The cursor would work better on towers if it was just one pixel bigger all round. Then again, when you're frantically trying to place a tower and you can't see where the cursor has gone it does add to the excitement.

I mistook the wizard for a triffid but the other enemies seem clear enough.

There are lots of details I like: the level introduction with the tower sites appearing; the font rendering used for "Level Complete" and "Defeat!"; the acid house quality of the sound effects when space is pressed; the smoothness of the animation when there's lots going on.

Thank you for making this. It is great fun and it looks amazing.

(Edit: I finally finished this without losing a life getting 2884710 :-) )

(The attachment is just the image above.)
Attachments
castle.png
castle.png (9.47 KiB) Viewed 13892 times
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

:D YAY it looks awesome. If this was released back in the day.... it would be a classic I reckon!
Great work. I'm gonna have to give it a proper go now.
dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley »

Genius!
JoolsH

Post by JoolsH »

This is really rather good! Great graphics, considering the palette limitations, and very playable and fun.

Managed to complete it too...
Attachments
castledefender-2659563.png
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Thanks for all your comments. I am putting together an update which incorporates some of the suggestions being made above.

For anyone struggling if you press the number keys 2,3 or 4 at the "press any key to start" prompt then the game will start on that level - although it won't record a high score. Worth doing just to see Dethmunk's level graphics.
Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt »

Just got round to giving this a go, very nice!

If I had one criticism, I couldn't always figure out what direction my keypress would take the cursor, and became confused often! That said however I only had 2 goes so that may become obvious after another few turns.

Otherwise lovely job both of you =D>
Tom_Lindberg

Post by Tom_Lindberg »

Excellent game! Well done!

Completed without loss of lives: 2,879,610 (spent a tiny bit too much gold on some of the levels..)
2879610.PNG
chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 »

Looks lovely. Any pointers to getting this running on a real BBC Master with MMC interface and the standard menu system (which I use as I'm a dummy). Cheers.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

chinnyhill10 wrote:Any pointers to getting this running on a real BBC Master with MMC interface and the standard menu system (which I use as I'm a dummy).
I'm not sure how easy it is to add a new disc-image to the MMBEEB menu system, having never tried to do so myself, but I did manage to get Castle Defender running off a TurboMMC attached to my Master 128 with Picton/IFEL MultiOS. I had to switch the MultiOS to Model B mode as the game wouldn't work in either of the Master modes.

So until someone with better or easier instructions comes along...

First, download and install the Windows app "MMB Imager":
Then insert your MMC card into a card reader, and the card reader into a USB socket in your PC. Open the newly attached drive from your PC desktop. You should see a file named BEEB.MMB in the root directory of the card. The file will probably be over 100MB in size. (Optionally make a backup of this file on a PC hard drive, just in case.)

Launch MMB Imager and open the file BEEB.MMB from the card. A list of disc-images and empty disc-slots will appear in the app window. Drag the disc-image of Castle Defender (CastleDefender.ssd) onto a spare slot in the list. (Optionally, unlock the disc-slot you just dragged Castle Defender into. I don't think it's necessary, but I did so anyway. Not sure why!) Make a note of the slot number you put it in.

Go to the File menu and select "Close Image". Eject the drive from the PC and extract the card from the reader. Insert the card into the TurboMMC attached to your Master. Switch the MultiOS to Model B mode. Switch the Master on.

Type *CARD

Then type *DIN xxx where xxx is the number of the slot that Castle Defender is in.

Type *EXEC !BOOT

Good luck!

Elminster

Post by Elminster »

Pretty darn good. If only games like that had been about when I had an electron I might not have defected to the Spectrum+2.

And you are all much better at games than me clearly, as I wasted a good while and havent completed it.

=D>
chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 »

lurkio wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:Any pointers to getting this running on a real BBC Master with MMC interface and the standard menu system (which I use as I'm a dummy).

Type *EXEC !BOOT

Good luck!

Cheers. Blimey that sounds complicated.I don't want to mess up my SD card as everything is currently running just right. Might just hang on for someone to do a tape image so I can manually load it in.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

chinnyhill10 wrote:
lurkio wrote:
...Type *EXEC !BOOT...
Cheers. Blimey that sounds complicated.I don't want to mess up my SD card as everything is currently running just right. Might just hang on for someone to do a tape image so I can manually load it in.
It's really not that bad. The whole point of these solid-state storage addons for the Beeb -- like TurboMMC and DataCentre -- is to make it possible to transfer .SSD/.DSD disc-images from the digital and online worlds to physical hardware and back again.

You won't mess up your card, especially if you make a desktop backup of the BEEB.MMB file before you alter it.

Be brave!

ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Hi - Been having a brief char with Lurkio and unfortunately the way the code's constructed it's not going to work off of a tape image. Given the amount of data that I load for levels even SWRam is not really an option (it would need around 80K...)

Just as a note - I am beta testing a new release with lots of things tidied up so expect a new release shortly.
chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 »

lurkio wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
lurkio wrote:
Be brave!

Just cautious as I rely on that card so much for the Youtube channel. It's not like the Spectrum where it's a quick and easy operation. Perhaps if I'm feeling brave over the weekend but my instinct says "leave alone".

Wish the Beeb had a solution where you could run an SD card interface from the cartridge slot and the menu just read whatever images happened to be on the SD card. Like with the DivMMC devices on the Speccy. That way file handling would be much improved. The Beeb was leading the way with the whole use of SD cards but now it feels like everyone else has a better solution.
duikkie

Post by duikkie »

the trouble is the standard menu , the d.games file is made with windows access or so , and is in a not so easy to change format :)

first backup your own BEEB.MMB , i think that was rule number one , if you touch a computer :shock:
chinnyhill10 wrote:Looks lovely. Any pointers to getting this running on a real BBC Master with MMC interface and the standard menu system (which I use as I'm a dummy). Cheers.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

I've released a "Version 2" based on the feedback you gave.

Here are the release notes:

Enhancements & Fixes:
  • Added a track of the number of enemies killed (out of 941) - displayed as percentage on game over.
  • Re-wrote the instructions to give more explicit detail.
  • Added a time at the start of each wave when you can move and place towers before the enemies arrive - Enemy arrival is signalled by the fanfare.
  • Updated the colour of the upgrade blocks below the tower to be more visible.
  • Increased the size of the cursor frame and increased the flash rate to make it more visible.
  • Changed the "rate" display to be a number that increases with faster fire rate.
  • Corrected enemy count on Level 3 wave 3 - the level should now complete as soon as all the enemies are destroyed.
  • Corrected placement of top left tower on level 3 (moved slightly to right - was overwriting backdrop).
  • Screen is cleared at game start to prevent previous level being displayed.
  • Screen is blanked during level load.
  • Level/wave display is moved to the centre of the status box.
  • Level/wave display is left on the screen until either the enemies arrive or the cursor is moved.
  • Increased the time the loading screen is displayed for (press a key to dismiss).
Balance changes:
  • Gold scoring is corrected - Gold is now worth 10 times more to your score at the end of a wave. This was the way it was intended to work originally - late changes to score length reduced the value awarded.
  • Increased cost of tower 3 to make tower 1 a more attractive option
  • Reduced the gold awarded by enemies on wave 1 to make it harder to get a level 3 tower.
  • Increased starting gold on levels 3 and 4 to offset tower 3 cost increase.
  • Increased gold award for later enemies on level 4 to offset tower 3 cost increase.
  • Increased proportion of tougher enemies on level 4 waves 3 and 4
Because of the changes the scores from this version are not comparable to the previous one. Thanks to ctr for beta testing this for me. He informs me that it is still possible to get 100% completion - although I have no idea how he does it :!:

Barring spelling corrections or hideous bugs I believe that this will be the final version - have fun! :D - Chris
FourthStone

Post by FourthStone »

:shock:

=D>

I'm super impressed by how much you've managed to cram into this beast of a game \:D/
ctr

Post by ctr »

This new version is a real challenge. Recommended!
Attachments
castlev2.png
castlev2.png (17.94 KiB) Viewed 13892 times

Return to “new bbc and electron games from 'retro software'”