8 58% 58%
9 (Excellent) 41% 41%
This poll has expired.
[devkitSMS competition 2016] Super Uwol (SG-1000) by Mojon Twins
Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:56 am
Last edited by sverx on Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/SuperUwol-SG

The Mojon Twins wrote
This is a game for the SG-1000, gfx & code by na_th_an, with music by Davidian. The game design & concept is by Anjuel & na_th_an. Level design by na_th_an, Anjuel, Davidian, Zenman.

This is a simple arcade for 1 / 2 players for the SEGA SG-1000 range of consoles (Mark I, Mark II). The game also works in the Mark III and the Master System. Please, play at 60 fps if you can.

Complete source code is attached. The game uses a modified instance of the first SGlib version available. You may have problems if the SDCC version is not the exact one we used to create the game, so I've included the package in the archive as well.

Uwol enjoys a quiet retirement at his cozy house in the beach of Pepinoni (province of Badajoz), so he doesn’t realize that somebody has stolen all his money from the bank. Luckly, his good ol’ friend Meemaid, the evil sorceress-turned-super heroine learned about the incident as she was using the ATM in the very moment the bank was being robbed.

That’s why they decide to head back over to the new and refurnished Storm Palace to regain the lost fortune. But it won’t be easy… the new basement is deep and full of dark corners. Besides, the intrincate disposition of rooms makes it easy to get lost and walk in circles. And that’s what happened: Uwol and Meemaid got lost and reached in the deepest side of the labyrinth – where Vampy, Franky, Fanty and Wolfy, plus the children’s favourite Cthulhy dwell. So you may guess it won’t be an easy task to escape with the money!"

How to play:

1. 1 Player: Control Uwol and help him to reach his goal!
2. 2 Players: Call a friend and control both Uwol and Meemaid to finish levels in cooperative mode!
3. Vs. Mode: Uwol and Meemaid compete for the coins. The winner in each level will score a point.

In modes 1 and 2, two exit pads will appear at the bottom of the screen when every coin has been collected, so you can choose your path across the pyramid. Stand over either of them and press DOWN to activate. If you are playing the co-op 2 players mode, either Uwol or Meemaid can choose the path.

When the time is up, Fanty will appear. Avoid it at all costs! In two player modes it will pursue the player who has collected the most coins.

If a baddie touches you, you will lose your clothes. You can regain them by collecting a t-shirt which will appear somewhere in the screen. In co-op 2 players mode, an already dressed player can’t pick up a new t-shirt, and if the two players lose their clothes two t-shirts will appear. In vs. mode, any player can get the t-shirt even if they don’t need it to harm the opponent.

mojon-twins--super-uwol.zip (27.21 KB)
Super Uwol (SG-1000) by Mojon Twins
mojon-twins--super-uwol--sg1000-src.7z (2.38 MB)
Super Uwol (SG-1000) by Mojon Twins (source)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:19 pm
I love this game, even if of course I suck at it.
I was just wondering why you guys didn't consider making an SMS version of it. I mean, you know, more colors, multicolor sprites, more sprites per scanline... basically using the same code you wrote already.
I was really hoping to see this happen for this competition so... bummer :|
Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:25 pm
sverx wrote
I love this game, even if of course I suck at it.
I was just wondering why you guys didn't consider making an SMS version of it. I mean, you know, more colors, multicolor sprites, more sprites per scanline... basically using the same code you wrote already.
I was really hoping to see this happen for this competition so... bummer :|

Hehehe, maybe... ;-)
sspl.png (9.76 KB)
sspl.png

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:59 am
oh, wow!
Now, why didn't you do that in time for the competition is something I can't explain! >:| >:|
Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:09 am
sverx wrote
oh, wow!
Now, why didn't you do that in time for the competition is something I can't explain! >:| >:|

Hello Friend,

we have many projects and this game we want to do quietly. We believe it will be very cool! Thanks for your support!
Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:10 pm
This is easily one of my favorite recent homebrew games, good work :)
Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:03 am
dink wrote
This is easily one of my favorite recent homebrew games, good work :)

^^

Quality stuff. Gameplay evolves through levels, it feels very professional!
Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:13 pm
Yeah. This is a great game! I don't know much about the SG 1000, but I can appreciate the work you guys did here. Sound/music really supports the gameplay well. I would say that this game is a little hard, uh? I try and try, and still I celebrate when I reach level 3 :)
Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:34 am
hang-on, the ghost can be tricked. Stay on the left side of screen when it appears, and wait. When he's about to hit you, go all the way left and you appear at the right side of the screen.

The ghost will take some time to reach you, which can be good for finishing the level.
Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:39 pm
Thanks - but I already trick the ghost this way. It is what I have always wanted to do with the ghosts in Alex Kidd :) I will indeed keep practicing.
Glitches and a request
Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:51 pm
So I was playing this neat game with my brother, and we found two glitches: some completed stages do no get marked yellow on the pyramid, and in a specific level there is no exit even when all coins get collected.

Pics attached.

Also, it would be nice if there could be a way to complete all levels! We saw the ending after less that half stages completed...

Thanks for your time.
IMG_1464.JPG (2.01 MB)
IMG_1464.JPG
IMG_1463.JPG (2.3 MB)
IMG_1463.JPG

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!