IGNORED

Lynx Ops

GadgetUK

Hi,

I wasn't going to post any previews or anything of my game until I had almost completed it, but since it's XMAS eve I though I would let you have a sneak peak. There are a couple of bugs, it's not quite complete functionallity wise, i've got to get player collision working yet, add game over and continue screen, add destructable environment, grenades and other weapons, plus enemy death sprites and music, and then throw a load of levels together, but hoping to get a load done over the holidays.

It's slow at times and needs optimizing. I've got to thank the developer community here for all their help so far, in particular Karri and LX.net!!

And yes, my graphics are pretty lame in places - I am NOT graphically gifted lol (it might get slightly better as I revisit some lame animations etc later).

Title screen:- (I didnt have a Cabal rip up there that I made from the arcade and NES version but decided to release my 'own' game as I would like to stick it on cart with an official box and manual. Speaking of which, I could do with finding someone that can make PCB's for 256Kb carts?

lo2.jpg

Below is the 'intro' that needs finishing. I've got the guy loading the UZI and storing the knife, I want to add 4 or 5 more animations on there for other stuff. The map screen is just a place holder image taken from Cabal. It will be replaced tomorrow probably with a better looking screen which has some function.

lo3.jpg

Main screen:-

lo1.jpg

I hope you don't think it's complete trash =P I know I will play it...

LynxOps-0.1.lnx.txt

Edited by GadgetUK
  • Like 6

Cool stuff!

About the PCB, ask Lynxman who developed the flashcard. He does all of matashen's PCBs. :)

About the game:Seems promising. The graphics need some work, but once you get more practice it will be fine. low res stuff like that is not rocket science. :)

I just wish it was a Christmas themed demo, shooting Santa and his elves in the snow. :P

You know what this game would need? A license for the Missing in Action franchise and Chuck Norris on the title screen. :P

Keep up the good work!

Edited by 108 Stars

Cool stuff!

About the PCB, ask Lynxman who developed the flashcard. He does all of matashen's PCBs. :)

About the game:Seems promising. The graphics need some work, but once you get more practice it will be fine. low res stuff like that is not rocket science. :)

I just wish it was a Christmas themed demo, shooting Santa and his elves in the snow. :P

You know what this game would need? A license for the Missing in Action franchise and Chuck Norris on the title screen. :P

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, i've spoken to Lynxman, hopefully we can sort something. Graphics are the bit I struggle with =/ The problem I have is the palette is never big enough grrrr. You end up needing to be creative and use colours you just wouldnt normally think of using - and sometimes in stupid places as it tricks the eye into seeing something that isnt really there. Hopefully with some time I can improve some of them, the soliders I am not that happy with at this stage, nor the uzi at some angles (extreme angles are OK but the almost straight up ones just dont look right). The helicopter and tanks look better on the Lynx or in Handy than they do in stills. The .lnx image is attached up there btw incase anyone didnt realise that you can try it.

I'd offer you help with the graphics, but I can't until I have a load of the other projects off my back.

Maybe someone else would help you; you could ask PacManRed since he was interested in helping with the coding comp. He is experienced with the 2600, so he knows how to work with limitations.

I played the demo of course, and even started a little thread in a German forum. I'll also start one at RVG.

I think this kind of game is missing from the Lynx library so far, so it will be a great addition. Needs lots of blood though.^^

• Like 1

I´ve played it on Handy (Pandora) for now and it looks and plays fantastic :) Just some sound and it´s great :) and the graphics look very good to me, not "lame" at all! Will try on Flashcart tomorrow.

Thanks! I will improve gfx anyway, cant promise it will look as good as 108's stuff as he's in a different league but I will do my best. Doing a load more on it today to try and complete enemy bullet collision, and destructable objects - walls, buildings etc.

Thanks for the feedback! I've made a lot more progress today (still off on hols!) and whilst I had added in 2 new levels I can't get them to display as ive run out of RAM lol. I will see what I can do to get around the problem, I know what's eating most of the RAM so far, its the 3 or 4 160 x 102 images, which I could produce from small bitmaps and stretched pixels etc, but even so it's going to be a major pain in the **** if I have to draw each part of each scene with stretched pixels. I also tried that on the first level and performance drops when drawing the sky, ground and then just outputting 2 or so smaller images for bits that cant be done with a stretched pixel. I can certainly reduce the title screen size, map screen, and first level - I might have to settle for very bland scenery if I cannot find a way to get bitmaps out of the ROM into RAM.

Assuming I can sort the problem out I still need to improve / add the following:-

Sound performance (needs to use a interrupt).

Soldiers - not happy with the legs.

Death animations - they all just vanish on death atm.

Will add more destructible items into each scene, just not had time other than to do a dodgy brick wall atm.

Bonuses

Power ups / upgrade screen at the end of certain rounds. eg. Flak Jacket, Increased Accuracy, Increased Rate of Fire etc.

Music (possibly on title screen / game over screen).

More sound effects - I wouldnt mind getting one or two samples in, but that was before I hit the RAM limit so I dont think samples will be possible.

EDIT: Lots of bugs still btw, like hit boxes on enemy bullets, spawn rate is a little strange at times, and loads of little glitchy things I want to tighten up, including the balance / difficulty of the game. Obviously there will be different enemies that are harder as levels progress, and bosses.

I've attached the 'unseen' rounds that I threw together today to test with - but you cannot see them in game atm. They are pretty bare because they are designed for destructable buildings etc on them - which i've yet to do also.

lo4.jpg

lo5.jpg

Couldn't see the 'attach' paperclip for attachments, I think Al has disabled it or something, so download from here:-

http://www.c5softwar...ynx/lynxops.zip

lo6.jpglo7.jpg

Edited by GadgetUK

Obviously I am no coder, but what Fadest say makes sense to me; you don't need all backgrounds in the RAM at once anyway. Just put the currentone in the RAM. This way you don't need to compromise with stretched pixels etc either.

One thing that comes to my mind is that Ninjabba suggested thinking about the sound early on, as he developed all the other stuff first and then hit troubles putting in sound afterwards.

One thing that comes to my mind is that Ninjabba suggested thinking about the sound early on, as he developed all the other stuff first and then hit troubles putting in sound afterwards.

Yeah, just to warn you from a pitfall I'm currently in myself. The more you develop your project, the more you will feel its worth an actual release. I didn't care about sounds 2 years ago because I thought I'd create a demo and be done with it, but since my project has become fully functional now I really want sounds included. Problem though is that I have almost no space available in RAM since I didn't take into account what I need 2 years ago... its the most painful refactoring I've ever done and I'm still fighting with it. I'd recommend to think out some segments you can load/unload in RAM memory from the start (eg. think of a layout for your RAM: stuff that will be always in memory like the sound driver and some basic logic, a segment for backgrounds, a segment for sounds/music).