don't click here

Somari the Adventurer (Genesis/Megadrive)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by LoneDevil, Aug 30, 2015.

1. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
  2. Son of a bitch, someone actually stepped in and did it. =O

3. Felik

Felik

These Mario sprites are pretty damn good! Did you make them?

4. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

5. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    Thoughts Anyone?

6. Flygon

Flygon

This is significantly better than that hack I tried making around '07-''09.

One minor suggestion, though. I recommend trying to make your future YouTube uploads of hack demonstrations 60fps. The uploaded video is blurry as hell, and I suspect this is entirely due to frameblending to 30fpsish.

7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    It's not; I upload my videos at 30fps and they're fine.

Being stretched to widescreen doesn't help, though.

8. The video in the OP uses frame blending to convert down to 30fps, which is what makes it look blurry. Every video frame actually contains multiple frames blended together with transparency, so you're not getting clean frames.
    If you convert 60fps to 30fps by simply discarding every other frame (which is probably what you do), it will look just fine at 30fps. The lack of motion blur will make it look less smooth than 60fps, but it will retain the clarity of each frame.

In situations like this, I usually use the Reelsmart Motion Blur plugin, which is great for adding subtle motion blur to video. I use that for my gameplay footage videos on Youtube, and it makes footage look smooth without being blurry (as long as you don't apply it too heavily).

9. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I don't get why you can't make him control like Mario would instead of like Sonic. If you are hurting for moves Mario has plenty of them in Donkey Kong and Mario 64.

10. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Because it's not Mario, it's Somari.

11. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I'm blending frames. I don't drop every other frame because it fucks up flashing effects on Sonic and shields and emeralds etc.

The video is blurred beyond just 2-frame blending.

12. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    I'm definitely gonna stop using Gens11a over a much better recorder for some reason. or it could just be my upload settings lol.

Having too many moves would be overdoing it especially how Sonic 1's level layouts is designed, (Like say, a higher jump could get abused)
    and then there's also the lack of sprites to consider adding more special moves. *cough* Groundpound. I'll see what I can do if I ever decided to make a update.

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Well I'm using Gens too, so...

Make sure you turn off Fast Blur in the settings, and enable the Proper Aspect Ratio option in the Graphics menu.

14. Abyssal Leopard

Abyssal Leopard

Spain
    None
    This is definitely an improvement from the version you had published a long time ago. Those sprites look better than that enormous headed Somari, and by better I mean much better.

Good job!

15. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero

Sonic 1 Character Pak
    Do you ever plan on loosely recreating the layouts from somari?

16. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    Nope because those layouts are inferior, especially the spike pit.

17. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero

Sonic 1 Character Pak
    Well I didn't mean 1:1 remake of the levels. Like take their layouts and improve them.

18. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
  19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Really liked it! The character control does feel very Mario, while at the same time working in Sonic's levels. Going into this I actually thought everything would be like the first level. XD

20. Chaud

Chaud

This frist level was AMAZING. Lol. Somehow, it works. It reminds me of this. Incredible job, keep it up!