English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 December 2020, 18:34   #141
Brick Nash
Prototron

Added music

Hi folks,

Thought I'd jump back on here and post a video of the game with some music (nothing else is new bar an animation bug fix).

EDIT: I added a colour cycle effect for the neon, and the new video is below.

[ Show youtube player ]

I slogged away in Protracker for an entire day and covered the Stage 1 track, and it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had, but it's done now so all good.

I had a hell of a time getting it to work as it seemed to be affecting the sound effect samples, and a 5 minute tweak turned into a 6 hour battle, but it sorted itself out too. Source code (with the music mod) can be downloaded here: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=d...Xq2fHOBK98GLj3

Also, Dan (and everyone else), my sincerest apologies for not replying to your last posts. I've been knee deep in Amstrad Z80 for the last few months and I didn't get any emails that anyone had replied, so I'm very sorry. I'll look at your scrolling example tonight!

Cheers!

Last edited by Brick Nash; 19 December 2020 at 19:06.
Old 23 December 2020, 21:29   #142
Hache

Looks great, Keep up the good work!!
Old 25 December 2020, 17:25   #143
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Nash View Post
Hi folks,

Thought I'd jump back on here and post a video of the game with some music (nothing else is new bar an animation bug fix).

EDIT: I added a colour cycle effect for the neon, and the new video is below.

[ Show youtube player ]

I slogged away in Protracker for an entire day and covered the Stage 1 track, and it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had, but it's done now so all good.

I had a hell of a time getting it to work as it seemed to be affecting the sound effect samples, and a 5 minute tweak turned into a 6 hour battle, but it sorted itself out too. Source code (with the music mod) can be downloaded here: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=d...Xq2fHOBK98GLj3

Also, Dan (and everyone else), my sincerest apologies for not replying to your last posts. I've been knee deep in Amstrad Z80 for the last few months and I didn't get any emails that anyone had replied, so I'm very sorry. I'll look at your scrolling example tonight!

Cheers!
Nice one Brick Nash

Can someone compile for me so that I can create an .ADF?

Edit: tried installing Amos Prof 2 + Compiler and compiling myself, though had loads of issues i.e. had to change paths to files, remove any comments and labels, but when testing in Amos Prof it complains about extensions not loaded...

Last edited by DamienD; 25 December 2020 at 19:22.
Old 25 December 2020, 19:33   #144
d4rk3lf

Wow - it looks absolutely amazing.
These animated neon signs are bringing so much dynamics to the picture.
And music of course, it's top.

Please, keep up the great work.
Old 26 December 2020, 01:37   #145
DamienD
Banned

After a lot of headache, finally got the source to start compiling but it looks like it's frozen and the status bar doesn't move

Old 26 December 2020, 02:17   #146
Dan

@DamienD: Erase the banks from the memory, then save the amos file, then i think you should be able to compile it.

Use "Erase All" command in direct mode.
Old 26 December 2020, 12:19   #147
Brick Nash
Prototron

@DamienD I literally just made a new setup the other day which it compiles on (no more Amos for Windows) so I'll do that when I get home.

Thanks for the comments though folks. I'm ripping the code apart to try and optimise it a bit better at the moment as it's still really slow on a Cycle Exact setting. My Main Loop has lots of checks in it which is likely bottle necking everything, so I'll see what I can do as I'm sure I can get it running a bit faster.
Old 26 December 2020, 12:37   #148
Dan

I'm not really an expert in Amos Coding. Advanced, yes, but there are still few parts which i do not understand yet.
I understand the double buffering principle from the PC/Windows perspective.
Amos/Amiga seems to be using it too, but then, when i want to do it, it is totally different than what i would expect.

(I know: too many different things, Double Buffering of screen, of bobs, of screen with bobs etc etc. makes the whole thing complicated for a newb.)

Anyway, i have looked through the code, in a hope to find something that is slowing down the whole thing.

But everything looks normal, in my opinion, part from that I have noticed that one function is using a Gosub without Return.
(In some cases the Return is missed because a goto is used to jump to the other things)

Usually, if a Game runs like that, sooner or later a stack overflow will happen, but luckily, because it is used in a function, the overflow does not happen. (I have tested this.)

My suggestion would be to ignore the lower-end amiga's and program the Game for Emulated/Accelerated amiga's as these seem to run it as desired.

Last edited by Dan; 26 December 2020 at 12:45.
Old 26 December 2020, 17:19   #149
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
My suggestion would be to ignore the lower-end amiga's and program the Game for Emulated/Accelerated amiga's as these seem to run it as desired.
I think you are right. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of Amos for what it is.

@DamienD Odd, I tried compiling there myself and I got the same error too. I can compile the new build of the game (sans the intro) but that version's not playable right now as the code is in bits. The intro seems to be struggling a bit as well, even on fastest possible, but I've not touched that code in months so not sure what's happening. I'll have a look at it once I get a sleep, as my brain isn't fit to wrestle with a computer at the moment.
Old 26 December 2020, 17:28   #150
DamienD
Banned

Phew, well that was a mission!!!

Finally managed to get the game compiled and working

Next problem was that everything added up to 1,268,728 bytes...

Managed to crunch everything down enough to fit on a disk

So, you will find the updated .ADF "Streets of Rage (demo-playable) (2020)(Prototron)[AMOS].zip" now in The Zone!
Old 26 December 2020, 18:00   #151
d4rk3lf

Thanks Damiano
Old 26 December 2020, 18:14   #152
Brick Nash
Prototron

@DamienD Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to do this. I'm sure you have better things to do on boxing day!

Did you discover what was wrong? Just so i know what to look out for.
Old 26 December 2020, 19:04   #153
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
@DamienD Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to do this. I'm sure you have better things to do on boxing day!
Truth be told, I didn't really... my Christmas's are usually me by myself

All my family is in Australia; and all of my friends in London spend the time with their family.

Quote:
Did you discover what was wrong? Just so i know what to look out for.
Yeah, a few things:
  • Needed to add in the AMOS extensions: "TOME", "Range" and "AMCAF".
  • Kept getting errors in relation to Include ".../Intro.AMOS". Ended up opening this file, and then copying / pasting into the top of the main .AMOS file.
  • Kept getting errors about "variable buffer to small" when testing, had to increase to "300000".
  • Had to "Re-Tokenise" in order to see all the files used. Then amended the paths from "HD0:Streets of Rage/Backgrounds/<filename>" etc. to be "/Backgrounds/<filename>" etc.
Now everything tested, could compile, and finally run without any issues

Anyway, in The Zone! I've put a file "StreetsOfRage_modified.lha" which works immediately and nothing needs to be changed

Last edited by DamienD; 26 December 2020 at 19:10.
Old 26 December 2020, 19:16   #154
Retro1234
Phone Homer

by yourself? why didn't you say I could of visited and annoyed you
Seriously thanks for the ADF

I assume? it's so big because you've gone back to using a huge IFF?

also did you erase all ? that should insure all the junk Amos saves is gone and it works on 68000.

Last edited by Retro1234; 26 December 2020 at 19:23.
Old 26 December 2020, 19:19   #155
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
I assume? it's so big because you've gone back to using a huge IFF?
No, it's due to the 356,000 .MOD file
Old 26 December 2020, 19:23   #156
Retro1234
Phone Homer

ok fair enough I'm definitely no expert on sound files so don't know what can be done about that.

also did you erase all ? that should insure all the junk Amos saves is gone and it works on 68000.

take care.
Old 26 December 2020, 19:24   #157
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
ok fair enough I'm definitely no expert on sound files so don't know what can be done about that.

take care.
I'm also no expert; it's the first time I've installed AMOS Professional / Compiler 2.0, and spent many hours working everything out...

Nope, didn't erase anything. Should I have?

The .AMOS file is 639,550. After being compiled it's 616,536.

Regarding the .MOD file, .IFF and .ABK files. I used Crunch-Mania V1.91t to compress these Data files.

Regarding the compiled game exe, I used CrunchyDat to compress.

This is how I got 1,268,728 to easily fit on an .ADF

Last edited by DamienD; 26 December 2020 at 19:35. Reason: Fixed spelling mistakes...
Old 26 December 2020, 19:37   #158
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post

Yeah, a few things:
  • Needed to add in the AMOS extensions: "TOME", "Range" and "AMCAF".
  • Kept getting errors in relation to Include ".../Intro.AMOS". Ended up opening this file, and then copying / pasting into the top of the main .AMOS file.
  • Kept getting errors about "variable buffer to small" when testing, had to increase to "300000".
  • Had to "Re-Tokenise" in order to see all the files used. Then amended the paths from "HD0:Streets of Rage/Backgrounds/<filename>" etc. to be "/Backgrounds/<filename>" etc.
That makes sense as I've suspected something was fishy with the intro file (the include kept making Amos for Windows do funny things).

Also, I do use a LOT of named variables, which I've just found out are all reserved spaces of 32-Bit Long words, and often I only use them to say "On" or "Off", so I'm working to use just a few variables and have them as Bitmaps for a variety of different things.

The paths are my fault as I should have set them before uploading.

Quote:
No, it's due to the 356,000 .MOD file
Eeee, that might be me not paying attention to the sample sizes, and there might also be samples in there which I'm not even using in the song. I've done a slightly newer version of it anyway which has better accents and panning, so I can check what samples I'm not using in the MOD and delete them, then upload a new version.

I'll need to figure out how to make a disk image myself and save you lovely people all the hassle, but again I do really appreciate the time and effort!
Old 27 December 2020, 00:01   #159
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I'll need to figure out how to make a disk image myself and save you lovely people all the hassle, but again I do really appreciate the time and effort!
Crunching down files and making custom .ADFs is my specialty

Sometimes takes a lot of work, and did in this case as I had to successfully compile first, but I quite enjoy it
Old 27 December 2020, 02:02   #160
TjLaZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Phew, well that was a mission!!!

Finally managed to get the game compiled and working

Next problem was that everything added up to 1,268,728 bytes...

Managed to crunch everything down enough to fit on a disk

So, you will find the updated .ADF "Streets of Rage (demo-playable) (2020)(Prototron)[AMOS].zip" now in The Zone!
Nice work! How do you crunch everything else down? I know exe files can be easily done.