IGNORED

Rolltris - 3rd place ABBUC SW Contest 2013

MaPa

Hi all. Another year of ABBUC Software contest is over where our little game ended 3rd. So now we can share this game with you and of course as usual with the source code attached.

This time we have something more too... it's 5200 version of this game! (thanks to Aking from this forum, who asked me if I would do 5200 version. At first I did not even think about it, but then I searched some info about the differences and started porting...)

This release is a little different from the ABBUC one. There is added logo at the beginning and fixed small bug about new hi-score text on the game over screen (when you left the screen with the text displyed, it would stay there printed, but not blinking, even if you will not do new hiscore).

Have fun!

post-3960-0-16496000-1382886512_thumb.png post-3960-0-22925700-1382886730_thumb.png post-3960-0-31593600-1382886733_thumb.png

rolltris.xex

Rolltris.pdf

Rolltris - sources.zip

rolltris 5200.bin

Edited by MaPa
  • Like 10

Reall nice game MaPa, Rolltris is a neat idea, great looking and sounding too :thumbsup:

How could it be improved...

Add a pause key!

the only issue I see is that you cannot really recover once you get in trouble; in regular Tetris good players can often save themselves by moving the pieces at the top, with Rolltris you don't really get time to move all the rows so once you go wrong about half way up you've pretty much had it. Not sure if there is anything that can be done here as it's just how it is.

Perhaps add a sound effects option though the tune is really good. More Tunes perhaps too ;)

And the big question "Would we play it in the HSC?" Definitely :thumbsup:

This time we have something more too... it's 5200 version of this game! (thanks to Aking from this forum, who asked me if I would do 5200 version. At first I did not even think about it, but then I searched some info about the differences and started porting...)

You should post this up on the 5200 forum, so people over there will know about it.

Reall nice game MaPa, Rolltris is a neat idea, great looking and sounding too :thumbsup:

How could it be improved...

Add a pause key!

the only issue I see is that you cannot really recover once you get in trouble; in regular Tetris good players can often save themselves by moving the pieces at the top, with Rolltris you don't really get time to move all the rows so once you go wrong about half way up you've pretty much had it. Not sure if there is anything that can be done here as it's just how it is.

Perhaps add a sound effects option though the tune is really good. More Tunes perhaps too ;)

And the big question "Would we play it in the HSC?" Definitely :thumbsup:

A suggestion to that would be a variation in the game. When you clear 20 lines, you start with a new fresh field or so.

The new field could have a few obstacles already there... and then you would need to clear 30 lines or so...

This is stellar!

Been playing it on and off today, and it's great fun - requires totally different instincts than Tetris. Thanks breathing new life into this genre.

How does your work always look far more colorful than one would think possible for an 8-bit, MaPa???

• Like 1

Great new implementation of the Tetris concept. Beautiful game! I am still having a little trouble 'wrapping my mind around' the concept, it's so different. Very challenging, I think after I get out of the 'throw the !@#$% joystick' frustration that I will spend some SERIOUS time with this one :)

I do agree that a pause key would be nice.

Thanks again!

-K

Congratulations! The graphics and music are excellent. The title screen looks fantastic.

Is it possible that you create a standard Tetris game play version? And as therealbountybob stated, some sound effects would also be a nice addition.

Edited by atx4us

Yes, it's PRIOR0 mode. Like in our intro New Years Miracle from 2009 (see signature) where the strip is done the same way.

Yea, I remember that demo. I was thinking at the time that you and PG might be gearing up to eventually use the idea in a Tetris type game.

Nice job, to both of you, congratulations, and thanks for sharing! The idea has been talked about here and there, but finally someone has put the effort and time to pull it off.

Yea, I remember that demo. I was thinking at the time that you and PG might be gearing up to eventually use the idea in a Tetris type game.

Nice job, to both of you, congratulations, and thanks for sharing! The idea has been talked about here and there, but finally someone has put the effort and time to pull it off.

So you missed out on my NYD2013 contribution which uses PRIOR0 over soft sprites :)

So you missed out on my NYD2013 contribution which uses PRIOR0 over soft sprites :)

No, I hadn't seen that one actually. I was probably preoccupied with "Chicks on Chips".

I didn't mean that nobody has used "GPRIOR 0" to any good effect before though. I was talking specifically about using it for a Tetris game, Rolltris being the only one at this point in time as far as I know.

Edited by MrFish

• 5 months later...