IGNORED

CollectorVision --- Summer News! --- Taito Legends

retroillucid

Hi CV fans

For about a month, I was thinking of a small project

The project is Taito Legends wich will be a box containing a bunch of Taito games

it will include those games:

- Lock n Chase

- Chack n Pop

- Elevator Action

- Jungle King (Hack of Jungle Hunt)

The Taito Legends box will be the same size as a CV box but will be thicker to accomodate the 4 cartridges

It will be sold at a very special price too

We will also offer Jungle King seperately for those who only want this one

We are also going to offer a re-edition of Galaxian

The main reason to make a re-edition of both Galaxian and Jungle King (Hunt) is mainly because the price of those games is really high

So, we want to offer those games at a low cost

Dig Dug, Moon Patrol ans some other will get this threatment

More to come on this

Here is how the box will look like

post-11933-0-31536200-1370630368_thumb.jpg

post-11933-0-73775600-1370630378_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Not so much interested in the Taito 4-pack because I already own those games in separate boxes, but the Jungle King and Galaxian ones are tempting just for the nice boxes. :)

EDIT: About Moon Patrol, someone should go through the trouble of verifying that the software is complete. I vaguely remember someone mentioning that the prototype crashes in one of the later levels because the game code is simply not complete.

Edited by Pixelboy
  • Like 1

Not so much interested in the Taito 4-pack because I already own those games in separate boxes, but the Jungle King and Galaxian ones are tempting just for the nice boxes. :)

Yeah I hear you, that's why we will offer Jungle King separately ;)

EDIT: About Moon Patrol, someone should go through the trouble of verifying that the software is complete. I vaguely remember someone mentioning that the prototype crashes in one of the later levels because the game code is simply not complete.

I too hear something about this, we will definately have to investigate on this before going full release

I have only played the Matt Patrol version but that one I know I finished at least the first go around and made it to the second harder level after that. Nothing crashed.

This is a good thing to know, thanks Dan

i will have to test Matt Patrol a bunch since It's been almost 3 years since I played this one

Well, the CV version at least since I really enjoy this one one MAME. ;) :D

I have it from a very good source that the original version of Moon Patrol that became available years ago as Matt Patrol / Flying Brassiers is 100% complete and more importantly 100% functioning. What may have happened to possibly cause this "possible" bug(s) are that the numerous hacked versions that were made to place the original Moon Patrol title screen and correct sprites back into the game ended up corrupting other game code. So basically, some sloppy hacking intriduced a "possible" bug or two or more.

As far as the reasoning for the version of Matt Patrol that everyone knows.... The programmer that was working on this for Atari had indeed finished the game and then two weeks before it was to go into production, Atari pulled the plug on all further ColecoVision releases. Well, you could imagine the programmer's outrage at this as it meant that he would not be getting paid ($50,000 is what I have heard) for all his hard work so he decided to make five special versions for the people that worked in the office with him. Each of these versions had the title screen changed to Matt Patrol, but from there each of the five were customized specifically for the person that they were being given to. These hacks included replacing the rainbow word "ATARI" on the title screen with the name of the person that the game was given to as well as customized in-game sprites. Of these five special versions, only one has ever been found and dumped to rom image format for all to enjoy and this was the version made for a woman named Selma, who it would seem may have been a bit busty... if you know what I mean.

Retroillucid...

First off, let me say that I applaud all the efforts you have made over the years to keep the ColecoVision & ADAM Computer a viable and worthwhile retrogaming platform. You, Luc, Eduardo, PkK, 5-11, etc., etc. are truly incredible and I can't thank you guys enough for all the fun that you have brought to the CV Scene. But, and I'm sure you felt this coming...

I am really not overly excited about a Taito Legends package as you mention in Post #01 simply due to the fact that these are all recent game releases that you have made. Maybe if this was something released five or ten years down the road and as a compilation cartridge (on a MegaCart PCB) that had an appropriate title screen and menu system for choosing and switching back and forth between the games, then I would be interested. But to simply make a box and then place individual carts and ?? manuals ?? into it just doesn't appeal to me.

Also, as far as a renamed Jungle Hunt, again this doesn't appeal to me. It's a simple matter of hacking the rom code to change the word "Hunt" to "King" on the title screen.

I don't know, maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of bed today and if and when these are made available, the ColecoVision collector in me will not be able to pass them up.

As far as Dig Dug and Moon Patrol, YES... but in all due time!!! I would love to see these and more of the prototype/unreleased games that are only available in rom image format or were released in small quantities on cartridge made into full blown CIB releases and I'm sure that I have mentioned this feeling of mine before. However, I think these games should be considered for production in an order that makes sense based on whether or not cartridge or CIB releases have been made in the past. For instance, Dig Dug was originally released as a cartridge only by CGE Services in the early 2000s, years later AtariAge made a cartridge only release and then Marc O. made a box for it. So I would place Dig Dug a little further down the list of games to make a CIB release of. While a lot of the prototype/unreleased games were eventually made availale on cartridge (by CGE, AtariAge or simply fan creations), I think starting with the least common would be appropriate especially if a box was never made for it. With this in mind, I think a game like "Escape from the MindMaster" would be a good first candidiate.

With all that being said, you know I'm interested in these releases as you and coleco_master know from the list I sent a couple months ago.

• Like 3

I am really not overly excited about a Taito Legends package as you mention in Post #01 simply due to the fact that these are all recent game releases that you have made. Maybe if this was something released five or ten years down the road and as a compilation cartridge (on a MegaCart PCB) that had an appropriate title screen and menu system for choosing and switching back and forth between the games, then I would be interested. But to simply make a box and then place individual carts and ?? manuals ?? into it just doesn't appeal to me.

I do see your point. But it is nice for people who came late to the party to get a second chance at buying these games. (including myself :) ) The people regularly involved at these forums and involved in Colecovision collecting/playing changes all the time. If you every decide to re-release some of your older games like Pyramid Warp, Smurf Challenge, Ghost and Zombies, or Lord of the Dungeon I would be a buyer. ( I refuse to pay ebay premiums for these games)

P.S. Dig Dug and Matt Patrol would be awesome. Thanks.

Edited by Manoau2002
  • Like 2

I already have Lock 'n Chase and Elevator Action, so the Taito Legends box doesn't interest me, but count me in for Moon Patrol, Galaxian, and Jungle King.

BTW, isn't Lock 'n Chase a Data East title, not Taito?

I do see your point. But it is nice for people who came late to the party to get a second chance at buying these games. (including myself :) ) The people regularly involved at these forums and involved in Colecovision collecting/playing changes all the time. If you every decide to re-release some of your older games like Pyramid Warp, Smurf Challenge, Ghost and Zombies, or Lord of the Dungeon I would be a buyer. ( I refuse to pay ebay premiums for these games)

P.S. Dig Dug and Matt Patrol would be awesome. Thanks.

Lock'n Chase, Elevator Action and Chack'n Pop are all still showing as available to purchase on the CollectorVision site... that is they do not showup as being Sold Out.

Now I really wonder if we should release Taito Legends

I mean, NIAD got good point about this

Is there really interests in this afterall?

We will keep going with Jungle King though, as I always prefered Tarzan over the Explorer

Galaxian, Escape From MindMaster, Moon Patrol, Dig Dug and few more will soon get released

With classic arcade box style including manual

• Like 5

Galaxian, Escape From MindMaster, Moon Patrol, Dig Dug and Jungle King....all of those would be awesome!

...and, just my opinion...It would be even better if the releases were staggered over time. Buying a whole bunch of games at one time is getting a bit difficult for me to justify...seeing this is a hobby and all, I have my spending limits. That said, your games are a blast, so I hate missing out on any of them. Releasing things one at a time would be awesome...I just don't know how that affects your production process. Just figured I would share my thoughts. :thumbsup:

• Like 6